Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Outgassing: Ramon Bueso: Genesis, The Project cigars (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65721)

alfredo_buscatti 03-04-2014 03:10 PM

Outgassing: Ramon Bueso: Genesis, The Project cigars

I got a 5er of these cigars last week, and over the weekend and still occurring now, it appears that they are putting out quite a bit of gas. I "burp" the container 3 or 4 times daily. The other cigars in this tupperdore, which is Tupperware and has a solid seal, are La Gloria Figurados which have been in the tupperdore amicably for a month, so I don't think they are gassing out.

I've never seen this happen before, but I've never had a tupperdore before, whose lid shows signs of the outgasing whereas wooden humidors, which is all I've ever used to have, would not show this.

Is this normal? Good, bad, neither?

RobR1205 03-04-2014 04:39 PM

Re: Outgassing: Ramon Bueso: Genesis, The Project cigars

Sorry for asking, but what's gassing? Like certainly extra air/humidity in the container? Cigar farts is the first thing that comes to mind when I read that....

alfredo_buscatti 03-04-2014 04:58 PM

It's not humidity/air vapor as the hygrometer is steady. I'm thinking that the tobacco in the cigars was incompletely fermented and that they are throwing off gas as this fermentation completes. I've read that newly harvested tobacco goes through a phase of outgassing nitrogen? Can't remember the gas. I don't think there is anything wrong with the cigars, and that given time, they will pass out of this phase, and that I should wait to smoke them until they do.

My question is if this is normal, for some cigars, incompletely fermented, to do this.

DaBear 03-04-2014 04:59 PM

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were shipped/rolled a little fresh and hadn't fully finished fermenting some of all of the leaves. I'd say give one a try and if it tastes like smoking a bottle of ammonia thats likely what it is.

icehog3 03-04-2014 05:45 PM

Although I have never experienced it, I have heard others discuss it. During what I've heard some refer to as the "ammonia" stage of fermentation, but again, it's all second hand here.

alfredo_buscatti 03-04-2014 05:54 PM

This n00b appreciates your input; thanks guys! Mike

Jbuford 03-08-2014 05:53 PM

I've never heard of this. I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for it

Zane 03-08-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbuford (Post 1941634)
I've never heard of this. I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for it

Only really noticeable in an airtight container. If you have a humidor they are not airtight.

badbriar 03-18-2014 08:47 PM

[QUOTE Cigar farts is the first thing that comes to mind when I read that....[/quote]

Same here, almost recommended just calling in the barking spiders!

:hy

Robulous78 03-18-2014 09:35 PM

cigar farts? :emo2004

... and I'm out... :lv