Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   New kickoff rules in the NFL (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50147)

lyle23 10-16-2011 02:21 PM

New kickoff rules in the NFL

As any of you who like football know, this year the kickoff has been moved up, I believe 5 yards? Doesn't sound like much but from what I've seen soo far, you might as well just not even have a kickoff and just give the ball to the other team on their 20 yard line. It just seems like the ball is just being kicked out of the end zone time and time again. Maybe I'm overs averaging it a bit, but I like to see the ball actually be returned on a kickoff. What is everyone else's feelings on the new kickoff placement?

loki 10-16-2011 02:37 PM

Re: New kickoff rules in the NFL

you clearly haven't been watching the multiple 100+ yard returns

chippewastud79 10-16-2011 09:33 PM

The NFL would eliminate returns all together if it weren't for onside kicks. But the multiple 100+ yard returns would indicate they are still bringing some of them out. :hm

lyle23 10-17-2011 08:21 PM

I guess I'm just wrong. Just seemed to be that I rarely see a kickoff returned past the 25 yard line. I guess it's cuz my teams return game is terrible. Oh well disregard my thread.

Moose6026 10-17-2011 08:24 PM

It seems to be feast or famine with the new rule. Touchback or touchdown. Little middle ground.

jledou 10-18-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose6026 (Post 1444148)
It seems to be feast or famine with the new rule. Touchback or touchdown. Little middle ground.

Agree ... I am saying conspiracy to take away the return yards from fantasy football....

Blak Smyth 10-18-2011 05:15 AM

The new rules bring down the percentage of return yards for sure, but it seems to have a different dynamic. Players are brining the ball out from the back of the end zone, I like this because it shows how bad some of these players really want to play. I think they need to worry less about protecting players, it is going to get out of control. Soon they won't even need pads. But I am a football fan and will continue to watch regardless of what rules they change.

Soon the robot that dances on the screen during stat graphics will be the one playing on the field anyway!

SteelCityBoy 10-18-2011 05:37 AM

I thought it would be bad when I first heard they initiated the change, but it has been about 50/50 from what I have seen. More players want to run the ball out than take a knee. Definately changes the game a bit. I actually don't mind it now that I have seen the first quarter of the season.