Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Genetic Testing and Race (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76462)

mosesbotbol 04-10-2021 06:36 AM

Genetic Testing and Race

If you took a genetic DNA test like 23andMe or the like and it said you were of a genetic make up of a defined "minority"; can you claim to be that minority now?

Let's say you thought you were one race and test said you 50% Native American or 30% Central African; can you claim that status for either or both?

At what point are you or aren't you a certain race?

The whole idea of preferential treatment based on ancestry is a crock to me, but it is what is for those who may want those advantages.

Brian D. 04-10-2021 06:55 AM

Re: Genetic Testing and Race

Bacon Bill looked up his family tree one time, and an ape pooped on his head.

AdamJoshua 04-10-2021 07:24 AM

Pretty sure you can claim you’re a can of tomatoes and no one can question it.

mosesbotbol 04-10-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2216555)
Pretty sure you can claim you’re a can of tomatoes and no one can question it.

There is legality when claiming on federal forms to gain benefit. Certainly advantages in the workplace as well.

icehog3 04-10-2021 09:06 AM

I am 1/16th douchebag, but that hardly puts me in the minority.

mosesbotbol 04-10-2021 10:27 AM

This is a serious question and debate. Hopefully some more insightful posts will appear.

markem 04-10-2021 11:49 AM

So here is something insightful ...

You should discuss the issue with the agency for which you wish to receive benefit. They will explain the qualifications. I am aware of some qualifications for indigenous peoples, but it may be that is only in my jurisdiction (federal or state court, state legislature, etc.).

So the full answer to your question is: you are going to have to ask those of which you are expecting designation. Not all designation applies in all situations.

mosesbotbol 04-10-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2216579)
So the full answer to your question is: you are going to have to ask those of which you are expecting designation. Not all designation applies in all situations.

How would the federal government define it?

markem 04-10-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2216580)
How would the federal government define it?

You are, apparently, unable to perform relatively simple tasks for yourself. How are your at butt wiping after your morning routine? Wait, don't answer that.

NCRadioMan 04-10-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2216581)
You are, apparently, unable to perform relatively simple tasks for yourself. How are your at butt wiping after your morning routine? Wait, don't answer that.

Truer words have not been written.

To qualify for the yearly stipend in the Cherokee Nation you have to be 1/64th and be able to prove lineage. I know because I am 1/64th but I can't prove the blood line even though it's in the DNA.

shark 04-10-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2216581)

Wow. Pretty rude.

The Poet 04-10-2021 03:16 PM

It's best I keep my comments to myself.

:lv

Porch Dweller 04-10-2021 04:00 PM

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

mosesbotbol 04-10-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 2216583)
To qualify for the yearly stipend in the Cherokee Nation you have to be 1/64th and be able to prove lineage. I know because I am 1/64th but I can't prove the blood line even though it's in the DNA.

You need to show an ancestral tree. That is similar for some other groups as well. Ancestral which makes any distinction one may promote as more of a birth right than a genetic trait.

retired 04-11-2021 09:51 AM

proving lineage would be impossible for some people. my family tree ends at my father as all records were destroyed in WW II

mosesbotbol 04-12-2021 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired (Post 2216609)
proving lineage would be impossible for some people. my family tree ends at my father as all records were destroyed in WW II

How does someone show their ancestry if they were adopted & no records were available?

retired 04-12-2021 09:41 AM

The plot thickens

T.G 04-12-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2216631)
How does someone show their ancestry if they were adopted & no records were available?

https://www.myinstants.com/media/ins...s/chipmunk.gif

jledou 04-12-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2216631)

I would try to see if there is any precedence for using the testing as the proof. I would guess that a university might deal with this question or have dealt with it and you might be able to search online for faq at their financial aide office or call them to ask the question.

Alternatively you might have to go to the state that the adoption took place in to find the records of the adoption.

mosesbotbol 04-12-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 2216664)
I would try to see if there is any precedence for using the testing as the proof. I would guess that a university might deal with this question or have dealt with it and you might be able to search online for faq at their financial aide office or call them to ask the question.

Alternatively you might have to go to the state that the adoption took place in to find the records of the adoption.

I am getting at the larger picture of it all, which is poignant today. A lot is being put on one's race or country of origin in our country. White Supremacy is considered health crisis and bigger than Climate Change. Reparations are be awarded on a state level and being talked about in Congress. How do we define both groups and groups beyond that? Asians are being attacked purely do to their race we hear every day.

Everything is identity based, yet I am not sure the definition of how we fit into one of or the other. Is it just a shot-from-the-hip definition?

Ancestry was mentioned and has holes. Genetic testing is method. Should we even try to divide or group ourselves into these to start with?

I take it some find this a difficult topic and it is. I fall into many of these groups, or none of them depending who is deciding.