Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wineador Humidification (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48349)

Joe Stogie 08-13-2011 09:09 PM

Wineador Humidification

I was just wondering... Is it possible to use Boveda packs as the main source of humidification in a wineador?

T.G 08-13-2011 09:46 PM

Re: Wineador Humidification

Sure, might not be as hassle free as beads and definitely won't react as quickly to RH changes, but it will work. Also, if it's a larger unit, you're going to need a number of them, but since they can be recharged, it's not going to be a repeating investment.

bobarian 08-13-2011 10:50 PM

:tpd: Anything wet will work as humidification, but depending on size Boveda packs could be very inefficient. Even a small 12-bottle wine cooler would require at least 3-4 small packs or 1 large. And then what do you do while you are recharging the Boveda's? Beads are but a small investment and much more trouble free. :2

Joe Stogie 08-13-2011 11:04 PM

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...8-13220856.jpg

This is my set up. I was using two 2 oz jars of xikar gel in there but I removed them because my sticks began to develop a chemical taste. Now I just have single Drymistat tubes in each tray. My rh level moves between 62-66%.

I asked about the Boveda packs because I have used them in tupperware with good results.

**** I have 8 ounces of RH Beads but I'm afraid to use them because of my big screw up a few months ago. LOL

Drez 08-13-2011 11:31 PM

I think your just better off getting the beads and not having to worry if the packs need to be recharged or if you have enough of them.

T.G 08-13-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Stogie (Post 1373511)
I was using two 2 oz jars of xikar gel in there but I removed them because my sticks began to develop a chemical taste. Now I just have single Drymistat tubes in each tray.

Xikar gel, drymistat tube, humi-care jars, water pillows, etc... all basically the same, they are all super-absorbent polymer gels. Sure, one might be X chemical formula, the other might be Y, but, ultimately, all basically the same, if not identical product.

Now, if it's the containers, the plastic used in the containers might be different, but not by a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Stogie (Post 1373511)
**** I have 8 ounces of RH Beads but I'm afraid to use them because of my big screw up a few months ago. LOL

I'm not familiar with the incident that you are referring to, so it would be appreciated if you could elaborate and explain what it is about the beads that makes you hesitant to use them.

Joe Stogie 08-14-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1373526)
I'm not familiar with the incident that you are referring to, so it would be appreciated if you could elaborate and explain what it is about the beads that makes you hesitant to use them.

I put the beads in the mesh bag then added the distilled water. I placed the bag in the back of the wineador. The RH held at 64 for about 2 days then began to drop. I added more and more water over a week's time until I over saturated the bag. I emailed a Cigarmony.com rep and he told me how to dry them out.

I put the beads back in and the humidity wouldn't rise above 59.

I know what ever went wrong is my fault and not to be blamed on the product.

Bill86 08-14-2011 12:11 AM

You should give them time to level out the RH, don't worry about adding water to them should they not immediately (or very shortly) hold RH right where you want it.

I'm no familiar with cigarmonys beads but most people here use heartfelt or Shilala's.

They work VERY well.

T.G 08-14-2011 12:26 AM

Was the drain plugged/sealed?

Sounds like you had a leak or you weren't using a great enough volume of beads for the humidor.

Joe Stogie 08-14-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1373556)
Was the drain plugged/sealed?

Sounds like you had a leak or you weren't using a great enough volume of beads for the humidor.

I think you're right. I may need more.

bobarian 08-14-2011 01:00 AM

For something that small a couple of ounces of beads should be fine. Be sure the drain is plugged or sealed with electrical tape. Put the beads back in and forget about your hygrometer. As long as about 2/3 of the beads are clear you are good to go. Dont worry about fluctuations in Rh, over the long haul the beads will do their job. Anywhere between 60-65% is fine for your cigars. If you watch your hygrometer you will see fluctuations as the cooler cycles. Just leave the beads alone and you will be fine. :2

designwise1 08-14-2011 07:46 AM

I was having wild fluctuations in RH until I added a window unit to the room I keep my humidors and wineador in. I unplugged it first and the internal temp went up to 80 degrees. Ambient room RH and temperatures came down with the addition of the AC unit and now everything is working as it should.

I'm using Heartfelt beads.

Hope this helps someone.

Joe Stogie 08-14-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1373566)
For something that small a couple of ounces of beads should be fine. Be sure the drain is plugged or sealed with electrical tape. Put the beads back in and forget about your hygrometer. As long as about 2/3 of the beads are clear you are good to go. Dont worry about fluctuations in Rh, over the long haul the beads will do their job. Anywhere between 60-65% is fine for your cigars. If you watch your hygrometer you will see fluctuations as the cooler cycles. Just leave the beads alone and you will be fine. :2

OK. I just wet the beads to your recommendations and put them back in. I'll try to stop being a slave to my hygrometer. LOL!

bobarian 08-14-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Stogie (Post 1373838)
OK. I just wet the beads to your recommendations and put them back in. I'll try to stop being a slave to my hygrometer. LOL!

Give it time and things should stabilize. You will get spikes in Rh when you add a bunch of new sticks but over the long run you should be fine. Judge your Rh by how your cigars smoke. If they draw well with no wrapper issues, everything is just right. :2

Joe Stogie 08-15-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1373566)
For something that small a couple of ounces of beads should be fine. :2

I remeasured my box... silly me used the outside dimensions instead of the inside!!! I was using WAY too many beads which I believe could have caused the loss of some flavor to my sticks. 2 ounces was all I needed. Thanks, Bobarian!!!

T.G 08-15-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Stogie (Post 1375158)
I remeasured my box... silly me used the outside dimensions instead of the inside!!! I was using WAY too many beads which I believe could have caused the loss of some flavor to my sticks. 2 ounces was all I needed. Thanks, Bobarian!!!

Too many beads just means that the beads can go longer without user intervention (typically, this means adding moisture).

CigarNut 08-15-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Stogie (Post 1375158)
I remeasured my box... silly me used the outside dimensions instead of the inside!!! I was using WAY too many beadswhich I believe could have caused the loss of some flavor to my sticks. 2 ounces was all I needed. Thanks, Bobarian!!!

Just for clarification -- you really can't have too many beads (HF, HCM, etc. -- does not matter which kind). If you maintain your beads correctly they will do the job without harming your cigars even if you have more than you need.

The more beads you have the more capacity your humidor has to buffer against big changes (adding or removing lots of sticks, adding real wet or dry sticks, etc.).

w squared 08-15-2011 08:51 PM

I'm a wineador newb (a little over three weeks into using mine), but so far so good :)

I'm running a Hydra electronic humidifier, with two of the samll Hydra fans and a "jury-rigged" large 12 volt fan for air circulation. I also keep a pound and half of 70% heartfelt beads in there - partially to help with humidity, partially because it's a convenient place to keep the beads that I throw in my travel humidor when I'm not travelling. So far, the system is working great!

Aporschaguy 08-15-2011 09:03 PM

Man a wineador looks great. I NEED one of these...

falconman515 08-16-2011 12:44 AM

Just use beads or Kitty Litter ... I put in t socks of KL the same exact wineador as you have (I had the Emerson 8 bottle with the 2 cheaphumidor trays as well) and the Rh stayed fine for the most part.

I did notice once I got my NewAir 28 bottle the Rh was a lot more stable in that cooler than the small Emerson.

I think being a smaller cooler its harder the humidify ... sounds weird I know but I am convinced this is true.