Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Goose sandwiches (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49187)

Newbie_nick 09-13-2011 07:05 AM

Goose sandwiches

Ok, I realize that this won't be interesting to everybody, but I discovered a cool way to cook up some Canada goose breasts that I had shot last season. I just wanted to pass it along!

Last season, I shot 2 geese on a cold Saturday morning, breasted out both birds, and froze the breasts in gallon freezer bags. I just found them in my freezer last week and decided to do something different with them. When I thawed them out, they both smelled pretty "gamey" even to me, so I knew that I would have to work to get them edible. I threw about 2 tablespoons of salt in a large bowl, added the breasts, and filled with water. Each day for 2 additional days (i.e. three cycles total), I emptied the water and added fresh water.

On the third day, I threw the breasts into a crock pot and sprinkled a few simple spices on top of them (garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper). I added water until only the tops of the breasts were exposed, and I threw 2 bullion cubes into the water for flavor. I set my crock pot to low and let it cook for 6 hours.

At 6 hours, I put a fork into one of the breasts and twisted it to make sure that it was done, and the meat easily shredded. At first, I was going to shred the meat and add BBQ sauce to it, but the flavor was so good "as is" that I decided to just leave the meat in the juices in the pot. We had hamburger buns left over from a weekend cookout, so I served the goose sandwiches on plain hamburger buns.

Amazingly enough, the goose turned out great, and even my uber picky wife had a sandwich and liked it. I thought that I would just pass on a success to other hunters that might need a different technique for tempering a "gamey" piece of meat. Enjoy!

Nick

Blak Smyth 09-13-2011 07:06 AM

Re: Goose sandwiches

Sounds awesome but I would like to see pics from every step of the process:r

:np

Newbie_nick 09-13-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1406493)
Sounds awesome but I would like to see pics from every step of the process:r

:np

Wow...tough crowd!! Would you like me to ship you a sandwich as well? :D

irratebass 09-13-2011 07:32 AM

Never had Goose......Doubt I could find this on a menu anywhere.....it sounds good though the way you made it.

Blak Smyth 09-13-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie_nick (Post 1406520)

:r

The way you described it I can picture it, so I guess I don't need pics.
I love pictures though!

WittyUserName 09-13-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie_nick (Post 1406520)

Yes please!!!

irratebass 09-13-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyUserName (Post 1406540)
Yes please!!!

:lr

Newbie_nick 09-13-2011 08:58 AM

Maybe y'all should just come to me! A wild-game herf? -(P

gator_79 09-13-2011 03:04 PM

I was stationed in Washington State for 11 years and hunted lots of Canadian Geese. Most of the time I cooked them in the crock pot just like that. Although a couple times a year I would roast one, basting it frequently with the pan juices that cooked out of it. Just one question, Why would you eat only the breast? Canadian Geese are pretty big birds and there is lots of meat on the thighs, legs and wings too.

safariguy 09-13-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie_nick (Post 1406641)
Maybe y'all should just come to me! A wild-game herf? -(P

+1 I'm there. Maybe in January after all the hunting seasons are done. And thanks for the goose recipe. I will try it as soon as I can trick a goose to fly into my pattern.

Newbie_nick 09-14-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safariguy (Post 1407066)
+1 I'm there. Maybe in January after all the hunting seasons are done. And thanks for the goose recipe. I will try it as soon as I can trick a goose to fly into my pattern.

I've done the salt water bath trick on venison, too. I shot a buck a couple of years back that the meat was very very strong, and soaking that meat made it more mild. It's a cheap and easy trick!