Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Don't kill that Grinder (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41175)

replicant_argent 01-12-2011 06:17 PM

Don't kill that Grinder

Just a warning....
Roasted a couple batches today...

And found another small, bean-sized stone in with my roasted beans.

Look through that coffee, boys, or you may be buying new burrs.

This makes 3 possible burr killers I have found in the last 3 months.
(2 or 3 different coffees, different suppliers)

BSB 01-13-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Don't kill that Grinder

Yup, sometimes it happens. You need to keep a close eye. Thanks for the reminder.

w squared 03-12-2011 09:50 AM

This happened to me three weeks ago. My grinder is belt-driven so the burrs didn't get trashed...but the gear that drives the belt got stripped.

Luckily, Baratza is being great about this, sent me a PDF with detailed instructions and is mailing me the required replacement part.

OLS 03-24-2011 10:24 AM

I was getting that in a popular brand of shelled and roasted sunflower seeds. The
rocks are colored EXACTLY like a sunflower seed in the shell, and are some kind of pea gravel.
Talk about a shudder when you pour a bunch of de-shelled seeds into your hand and
pop em into your mouth and bite down on a ROCK! I complained to the company and
told them I was not suing or anything, but I wanted to alert them and help them to find
out how this was happening. THEY SAID they fixed it, sent me 5 dollars "hush money" and
things were great for a few more bags then I got it again the other day....crunch!

Pat1075 05-06-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1215709)
I was getting that in a popular brand of shelled and roasted sunflower seeds. The
rocks are colored EXACTLY like a sunflower seed in the shell, and are some kind of pea gravel.
Talk about a shudder when you pour a bunch of de-shelled seeds into your hand and
pop em into your mouth and bite down on a ROCK! I complained to the company and
told them I was not suing or anything, but I wanted to alert them and help them to find
out how this was happening. THEY SAID they fixed it, sent me 5 dollars "hush money" and
things were great for a few more bags then I got it again the other day....crunch!

A big chain store's trail mix has this problem too. Unfortunately they are under the impression you are supposed to mix the trail in with everything else.

germantown rob 05-06-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w squared (Post 1203337)
This happened to me three weeks ago. My grinder is belt-driven so the burrs didn't get trashed...but the gear that drives the belt got stripped.

Luckily, Baratza is being great about this, sent me a PDF with detailed instructions and is mailing me the required replacement part.

Baratza has A++ customer service.