Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   It’s Been a Few Years (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76802)

gravel 12-11-2021 11:07 AM

It’s Been a Few Years

Hello brothers!

I never got truly established here before some significant work/life changes occurred. I see the last post I made was in May 2015. At that time I had just enrolled full time in seminary (graduated with a M.Div in August 2018). I figured with evenings free and a full day of instruction on Mondays, I could knock it out in a few years. What I didn’t anticipate was the church where I was an executive pastor also asked me to reach back into my far past and take on the youth group too. For a few years I had both roles (full time), school (full time), and a family and all the events that occur with that. Needless to say, I had very thin margins.

Overtime I was able to move a considerable amount off my plate as my church didn’t want me to burnout. In a show of generosity, the leadership gave me a paid sabbatical starting this October and the church whole heartedly approved.

Over the years I’ve been absent, I’ve had opportunity to reach into my tupperdor and light up a cigar provided in an embarrassingly generous newb bomb I received here. When I have, I thought of this place fondly.

I’ll be around going forward. I’m still astonished by the crazy amount of information around here!

Geoff

markem 12-11-2021 11:11 AM

Re: It’s Been a Few Years

Hi Geoff! Welcome back. Where are you in Oregon? I’m Beaverton.

gravel 12-11-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2226497)
Hi Geoff! Welcome back. Where are you in Oregon? I’m Beaverton.

Not too far from you. I live in Salem.

bruceolee 12-11-2021 11:17 AM

Welcome back Geoff! if you don't mind me asking what kind of church? My best friend is our youth pastor at my church. I attend and evangelical free church but i lean reformed in many matters. Anyways, i hope you have fun here and find it a place where you can hang and relax! God bless you!

gravel 12-11-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceolee (Post 2226500)
Welcome back Geoff! if you don't mind me asking what kind of church? My best friend is our youth pastor at my church. I attend and evangelical free church but i lean reformed in many matters. Anyways, i hope you have fun here and find it a place where you can hang and relax! God bless you!

I don’t mind at all! It’s a nondenominational church but formerly part of a Baptist association.

I finally shed the majority of my former exec role (aside from being a brain to pick) in Jan and I am now the youth pastor. One thing I’ve learned this second go around as a yp… 47 feels a lot different than 41!

longknocker 12-11-2021 11:41 AM

Welcome Back, Geoff!:D:tu

The Poet 12-11-2021 11:42 AM

Welcome back, Geoff. Pull up a pew and sit a spell.

icehog3 12-11-2021 03:59 PM

Sounds like lots has happened since you were here last, Geoff, congrats on all the good. It's great to have you back in the Asylum.

shark 12-11-2021 04:24 PM

Welcome back!

Remo 12-11-2021 05:24 PM

Welcome back!!

G G 12-11-2021 05:46 PM

Welcome Back!!!!

Brian D. 12-12-2021 06:48 AM

Welcome back. Your church sounds like they appreciate you, not all organizations do.

gravel 12-12-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D. (Post 2226531)
Welcome back. Your church sounds like they appreciate you, not all organizations do.

For sure. I know of a few organizations around here that do offer some form of sabbatical. One nearby requires a sabbatical (paid) after seven years.

There are a lot of reasons a church may not be able to offer a paid sabbatical to express appreciation. I’m certainly glad they can!

gravel 12-12-2021 11:02 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2226514)
Sounds like lots has happened since you were here last, Geoff, congrats on all the good. It's great to have you back in the Asylum.

Plenty of hard things happened too with a couple we are living through right now. This sabbatical is well timed as we address and adjust to some of these difficult changes.

Chainsaw13 12-12-2021 12:10 PM

Welcome back Geoff.

Havanaaddict 12-12-2021 12:23 PM

Welcome back!

SmokeyJoe 12-13-2021 12:26 PM

Welcome, brother. Prayers for a blessed and merry Christmas. Enjoy some nice smokes! :ss

sigsauer 12-13-2021 04:54 PM

Geoff...PM sent

RevSmoke 12-13-2021 06:44 PM

Welcome back!

God's blessings on the sabbatical.

I know there are people here that would love for me to be able to have one, but serving three parishes means things are just very financially tight. I understand, and appreciate their love. They do allow me regular continued education type opportunities being gone for a week at a time to do it and not counting it as vacation time. Maybe not a sabbatical, but certainly refreshing, renewing, and a time to reinvigorate to return back to the parish.

Peace of the Lord be with you!

gravel 12-14-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 2226600)
Welcome back!

God's blessings on the sabbatical.

I know there are people here that would love for me to be able to have one, but serving three parishes means things are just very financially tight. I understand, and appreciate their love. They do allow me regular continued education type opportunities being gone for a week at a time to do it and not counting it as vacation time. Maybe not a sabbatical, but certainly refreshing, renewing, and a time to reinvigorate to return back to the parish.

Peace of the Lord be with you!

Thank you Rev. Educational opportunities are reinvigorating! I’ve appreciated those when I have had them. During this time I’ve been reading a fair amount that have been on my stack for years. Not all are ministry related and some deal with a particular family situation.
I’ve been in ministry since 1996, and this is the first time I’ve been given a sabbatical. I’m truly grateful.