Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What beers are you enjoying? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=309)

VirtualSmitty 10-14-2008 08:38 PM

What beers are you enjoying?

A thread for you all you beer lovers out there! So, what's in your glass?

For me:

Thomas Hardy's Ale (from 2001!): like really, really good guys. I bought four packs and am gonna let them sit for a long while. So awesome.

Boad's Robust Porter: this one was from a brewery that I didn't know existed the town next to me. Not bad either. Like a Smuttynose RB but lighter.

Hoppy Otter: It was indeed hoppy. Pretty good, from the UK I think.

Liberty Porter: I like Porters. This is a good one.

Sam Adams Octoberfest: My sister made me buy this. She works at the best liquer store around (college job) and insisted I buy some cause they sell it like crazy. It's pretty good I guess, but not outstanding. Drinkable but forgettable.

Innis and Gunn barrel aged something: quite good. Sweet with some vanilla flavors. I liked it alot, probably a little too sweet to drink all the time but a nice change of pace beer.

Banana Bread beer: I forget who made this, wasn't wells. It tasted like bananas and beer.

Ipswich Oatmeal Stout: Tom brought some oatmeal stout (forget which, help me out Tom!) to one of the joed herfs and I liked. So I picked up a sixer of this and it is very tasty, but very thick and heavy. Nice stuff.

Hacker-Pschorr original Oktoberfest: I liked the the HP whitbier but this one I didn't like at all. It just tastes bad. Maybe I got a bad six pack, but this is seriously some of the worst beer i've had in a long while.

Ommegang Abbey Ale: It smells like a fruit bowl when you open it up. slightly sweet taste, nice rich kinda leathery flavor I guess. A good stab at a trappist ale, but not quite as good as the real deal.

Duchesse De Bourgogne Ale: this stuff is awesome. Just awesome. That's all i'm going to say. Go buy some. Now.

Well, that's all I can remember right now. I can almost feel myself getting fatter just typing this lol.

Darrell 10-14-2008 08:40 PM

Re: What beers are you enjoying?

I'm enjoying everything from Rogue and Stone. Especially Dead Guy and Arrogant Bastard. :dr

King James 10-14-2008 08:42 PM

have had a few microbrews lately. Being in college, the parties consist of kegs filled with the usual crap. I do like Leinenhugel honeyweiss however

SeanGAR 10-14-2008 08:51 PM

Right now? Geese ... at the risk of getting banned .... Keystone Light. Lately though I've really been liking Bell's offerings such as two hearted, oberon, kalamazoo stout, etc,

mikeyj23 10-14-2008 08:53 PM

I've been enjoying some Black and Tans lately as well as the Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

Pulse 10-14-2008 08:56 PM

Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bellhaven Scottish Ale lately....both good as the cold weather sets in up here in MA.

newcigarz 10-14-2008 09:09 PM

I just bought a sixer of Dead guy. Lately I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Brooklyn Brown.

Darrell 10-14-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 2766)
I just bought a sixer of Dead guy. Lately I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Brooklyn Brown.

I knew you had good taste, Tony. :D

newcigarz 10-14-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 2848)
I knew you had good taste, Tony. :D

I also have 2 -22 oz bombers 1) Stone Vertical Epic '08 and 1) Stone chocolate oatmeal stout.

yourchoice 10-14-2008 09:29 PM

Left Hand Brewery makes an Octoberfest that is pretty darn good. Another seasonal beer that I was shocked how much I liked was Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I bought a four pack not knowing what I would think of a pumpkin brew, and it was outstanding. Picked up a four pack of Dogfish Head's pumpkin offering, and while good, not as good as Weyerbacher's.

I'm into porters too, but theres not a very good selection where I shop. Anchor makes a decent one, and Troegs makes a pretty good one too. I'll have to look for Liberty's.

I love hoppy stuff too. The last couple Phillies games I went to (NLDS game 2 and NLCS game 1 :)) I drank Victory HopDevil. Damn good, especially for a ballpark offering. Citizens Bank Park (the Phillies home stadium) has a wonderful selection to choose from for a major league stadium.

VirtualSmitty 10-14-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 2965)
I love hoppy stuff too. The last couple Phillies games I went to (NLDS game 2 and NLCS game 1 :)) I drank Victory HopDevil. Damn good, especially for a ballpark offering. Citizens Bank Park (the Phillies home stadium) has a wonderful selection to choose from for a major league stadium.

That's awesome. My last trip to Yankee stadium the choices were Bud and Miller :pu

newcigarz 10-14-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 2965)

HopDevil is a great beer. :dr

awsmith4 10-14-2008 11:12 PM

There are so many I like, but tonight I'm drinking Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale ad loving every drop

VirtualSmitty 10-14-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 3551)
There are so many I like, but tonight I'm drinking Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale ad loving every drop

I tried some of that the other day. It is quite good. The Smuttynose Pumpkin ale is also really good, try some if you see it!

Sauer Grapes 10-14-2008 11:18 PM

I had Pliny the Elder this weekend. All I can say is that it blew my freaking mind. It literally made DFH 90 minute taste like malted water. Seriously, no hops in 90 minute at all after having Pliny.

VirtualSmitty 10-14-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 3576)
I had Pliny the Elder this weekend. All I can say is that it blew my freaking mind. I literally make DFH 90 minute taste like malted water. Seriously, no hops in 90 minute at all after having Pliny.

Holy Moses! I'mgoing to have to look for that next time i'm at the liquer store. Sounds right up my alley!

Sauer Grapes 10-14-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 3584)
Holy Moses! I'mgoing to have to look for that next time i'm at the liquer store. Sounds right up my alley!

I'm not sure where you are... but it's a very limited distribution area... I had to have a friend from CA send some to me. I hope you can find it. It's worth the trouble. :D

It's made by Russian River Brewing Company. They also make Pliny the Younger which is supposedly hoppier yet. Also, the younger is 11% as opposed to 8 something %.

kaisersozei 10-15-2008 11:37 AM

My go-to's are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, but I'm looking forward to the seasonal brews that are starting to pop up--especially happy to see that Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is out again, and just tried my first Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale! MMMMMM :chr

The DFH 90 Minute IPA clone I brewed earlier this summer is just about ready to start crackin' :dr

And I've recently picked up some Lagunita's IPA, Heavy Sea's Below Decks (barleywine by Clipper City Brewing) and some Icehouse for the wife.

SmokeyNL 10-15-2008 11:38 AM

I like Belgian beers, anything really, but mostly trapists

VirtualSmitty 10-15-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyNL (Post 5683)
I like Belgian beers, anything really, but mostly trapists

Which monk beers do you like the best? I'm partial to Rochefort 8/10, Orval, and Westmalle (although they are all pretty good lol). And while not a true Trappist, the st. Bernardus 12 is a fav.