Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which are the most cigar-friendly states? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67904)

ColdCuts 10-01-2014 03:01 PM

Which are the most cigar-friendly states?

After nearly fifteen years, I'm getting tired of NYC. Let's say I was going to relocate. For the sake of this thread, let's say cigars are the single most important thing in my life. To which state should I move to enjoy the most freedom cigar-wise?

ApexAZ 10-01-2014 03:25 PM

Re: Which are the most cigar-friendly states?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCuts (Post 1990021)
After nearly fifteen years, I'm getting tired of NYC. Let's say I was going to relocate. For the sake of this thread, let's say cigars are the single most important thing in my life. To which state should I move to enjoy the most freedom cigar-wise?

I feel pretty fortunate in AZ. Tax is like a flat 25 cents per cigar, or something like that. I go to Fox Cigar Bar and smoke and drink to my hearts content. I smoke outdoors to my hearts content.

I burn up in miserable 115 "dry" heat in the summer, which results in a much bigger monthly bar tab at Fox in the cool AC :)

But right now it's about 90 and I'm enjoying a pipe in the courtyard outside of my work. It's very nice right now.

I think Texas is pretty good for cigars too.

The Poet 10-01-2014 03:47 PM

Hey, I'm not hassled here, and I'm only 25 miles from Manhattan. Just today I lit one up in front of 4 borough officers and, as usual, got no more than a friendly nod. Doesn't hurt that they know me, nor that half the force moonlights as security at JRs in Whippany, about a 10-minute drive away, with a bar (and bar food), two lounges, and barn-sized walk-in.

Taxes don't bug me, since I purchase online.

longknocker 10-01-2014 04:10 PM

Alabama Is Good. Cheap Taxes & You Can Smoke "Almost" Anywhere.:D:tu

WhiteMamba 10-01-2014 04:19 PM

I have no idea but given that CI and Famous Smoke are in Pennsylvania I would think that they must not be too bad. :2

AdamJoshua 10-01-2014 06:25 PM

It's not California, insane tax, land of the dem so you can't smoke anywhere, a couple nice small B&Ms with very comfy chairs (no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!), beer and wine, yet we have the S.H.I.T. herf crew, while we don't have places with barn-sized walk in humidors, we do have 932,012 small craft breweries, the annual SoCal mega Herf and the average temp is something like 72 degrees. :r

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 10-01-2014 08:01 PM

Of all the places I have been... I would say Texas.

RWhisenand 10-01-2014 09:41 PM

Nevada, I think pretty much everything is legal here.

Remo 10-01-2014 09:42 PM

Ummmm.....Florida :sh

azar 10-01-2014 11:04 PM

I like Wyoming myself. Not many B&M's but the internet is pretty easy!

smokin5 10-02-2014 09:51 AM

Gotta agree AZ is OK, but unless you're somewhere with a
"grandfathered" smoking lounge, you're out of luck smoking
anywhere inside. Of course you can smoke at home, like me.
And don't forget, there's plenty of places in AZ where you don't
have to live in the kiln that is Phoenix/Tucson area. Just head
for the mountains. I live a mile high & no unbearable summers.
That said, we DO have winter, though, including snow.
As a former NYer myself, I'd say it's a far better place to live
than NYC.

nutcracker 10-02-2014 10:05 AM

Cuba

CigarNut 10-02-2014 10:17 AM

For me it is difficult to separate "Cigar Friendly" from the weather. For example, Oregon's smoking laws are pretty tough. You can't smoke indoors with a few exceptions: you can smoke in some cigar stores (no alcohol for sale) and we have a few pretty good cigar lounges where you can smoke, drink, eat and watch sports on TV.

You cannot smoke outside in most public areas. But you can smoke outside at home (single family dwellings). The temps don't hit extremes so smoking outside is fine from late spring through early fall; however, you may need some overhead protection for the rain. If you have an outdoor heater you can smoke outdoors other times of the year.

I like to smoke outside, so for me Oregon is cigar friendly. States where the heat or cold can be extreme would not be cigar friendly for me. I have also found California to be cigar friendly when I visit, but I don't live there, so take that with a grain of salt.

Just my :2...

mosesbotbol 10-02-2014 10:31 AM

Oklahoma is cigar friendly.

nutcracker 10-02-2014 12:00 PM

Not moving too far, isn't New Jersey a bit easier??
(I've also enjoyed great lounges in Texas* and Rhode Island in particular though)

I'm a visitor when in the US, so my perception is different.

*Texas is also blessed with some knockout women

Dave128 10-02-2014 12:09 PM

If you want to get away from the city life, Upstate NY isn't too shabby (I'm talking Albany and north). Other than a couple months out of the year due to cold temps, I smoke to my hearts content on either my front porch or back deck. I also have a really nice B&M five minutes away from my house that has a large lounge and huge walk-in.

The Poet 10-02-2014 02:22 PM

Dave has a point about upstate NY, though there's no guarantee that Cuomo won't eventually "Bloomberg" it too. :r

Dude Here 10-02-2014 02:26 PM

I would say Florida, with Texas as a close second.

mosesbotbol 10-02-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave128 (Post 1990163)
I also have a really nice B&M five minutes away from my house that has a large lounge and huge walk-in.

There's a cigar lounge 2 miles from my house I have never been to. Living room or kitchen are my favorite places to smoke a cigar.

ColdCuts 10-03-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 1990159)
Not moving too far, isn't New Jersey a bit easier??
(I've also enjoyed great lounges in Texas* and Rhode Island in particular though)

I'm a visitor when in the US, so my perception is different.

*Texas is also blessed with some knockout women

Majority of votes are for Texas so far. Knockout women are certainly a plus. :tu I won't bring it up to the wife if I pitch a proposal to move there. She's actually from Texas, but is hesitant to move back. The times I've been, I've liked Texas quite a lot.

Just for fun, here are the current standings, arranged first by number of votes and alphabetical:

Texas 4 - Knockout women, and I'll add 'amazing BBQ'

Arizona 2 - Flat $0.25 per cigar tax
Florida 2
New Jersey 2 - Home of barn-sized JR Cigar stores
New York (upstate) 2

Alabama - Cheap taxes, smoke almost anywhere
California - Tough taxes and bans, but the weather is nice
Massachusetts
Nevada - Everything is legal!
Oklahoma
Oregon - Tough taxes and bans, but the weather is nice
Pennsylvania - Home to CI and Famous
Rhode Island
Wyoming

*Vote for Cuba excluded for not being one of the United States. ;)

Joking aside, you'd think there'd be a complete resource where this kind of information would be all in one place. You know?