Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Motorcyclists and non-riders , I would like opinions on this story (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31117)

newcigarz 04-18-2010 06:33 AM

Motorcyclists and non-riders , I would like opinions on this story

I just can't believe what I read here.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...bikers-do.html

MiamiE 04-18-2010 06:39 AM

Re: Motorcyclists and non-riders , I would like opinions on this story

I am fine with the fact he pulled over the motorcycle, I mean he was going 100+. The rest is just a little weird.

newcigarz 04-18-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 831584)
I am fine with the fact he pulled over the motorcycle, I mean he was going 100+. The rest is just a little weird.

How about drawing out his weapon?

floydpink 04-18-2010 06:57 AM

Probaly more to the story, but from what I saw, it seems like you have a case of an officer giving officers a bad name and a biker giving bikers a bad name.

ABATE was recently at an event I attend trying to get people to sign a petition.

Apparantly Florida is considering legislation that would allow the confiscation of a motorcycle going more than 40mph over the posted speed limit.

They argue it unfairly targets bikers and the same should be applied to cars.

I agree in some aspects.

Personally I never go that fast and won't ride with anyone who does.

It may seem like I'm painting with a broad brush, but nearly every time someone is riding like that, it is a guy in his
20's on a metric bike thinking he's a lot cooler than he really is.

MiamiE 04-18-2010 07:00 AM

I am not an LEO so I have no idea, I can only assume he didnt want the guy trying to ride away.

newcigarz 04-18-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 831592)
Probaly more to the story, but from what I saw, it seems like you have a case of an officer giving officers a bad name and a biker giving bikers a bad name.

I think this a fair assesment

68TriShield 04-18-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 831594)
I think this a fair assesment

[It's guys like Graber that we have to blame for police aggressively targeting motorcyclists]

I think this quote is too Tony.

safariguy 04-18-2010 08:07 AM

Interesting that the author says that only a small percentage of riders give the others a bad name, but ALL cops are "gun-toting thugs."
That cop should have no expectation of privacy regarding being videoed. He is clearly a lunatic and should be criminally charged with assault with a deadly weapon, (and obstruction of justice if he did not put in his report that he drew his gun on a suspect.)
BTW, I am a cop, and a rider. So that must mean that I beat myslef up sometims for no reason, right? ;)

newcigarz 04-18-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68TriShield (Post 831615)
[It's guys like Graber that we have to blame for police aggressively targeting motorcyclists]

I think this quote is too Tony.

Agreed David.
I don't ride like that, but have suffered the scrutiny from local LEOs because there are those out there that do.

68TriShield 04-18-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 831620)
Agreed David.
I don't ride like that, but have suffered the scrutiny from local LEOs because there are those out there that do.

I bet you have Tony and didn't think for a second you'd ride like that.
Public roads are not the place to ride like a daredevil.

pnoon 04-18-2010 08:11 AM

"Anthony Graber was out for a leisurely ride, a leisurely ride that saw him wheelie through traffic on I-95 at over 100mph before reaching speeds that appear to be in excess of 140mph. "

Leisurely? :r

While the actions of the police officer are questionable, if this cement-head is not doing wheelies in traffic at 100+mph, none of this would have happened. Sorry, this a-hole was threatening the safety of those around him. I have absolutely no sympathy for him. None.

MarioF 04-18-2010 08:57 AM

This is the part I find interesting:
Graber, who pled guilty to the 80 in a 65 ticket he was issued at the stop, felt aggrieved by Uhler's thuggery and decided to upload a video of the traffic stop to YouTube so the whole world could share in the experience.
Obviously he got cut a break, he could of been charged with reckless driving along with a lot of other charges and he probably could of been arrested. But he still felt it was necessary to go after the undercover cop. The officer should have identified himself better but Graber wouldn't be put in that position if he wasn't driving like an idiot.

cbsmokin 04-18-2010 08:58 AM

Watching the video it seemed to me that uniforms were very close behind so they must have already been notified of the irresponsible rider. Shouldn't the UC just have continued reporting and allowed the patrol car to handle the situation?

As to the right to privacy stuff, good luck. There is very little if any right to privacy out in the open when in plain sight of all who pass by. Probably the true story is that the district attorney seized the computer to use the video against the rider.

icehog3 04-18-2010 10:19 AM

The rider put lots of people at risk with his riding and should have his license revoked.

I do not believe the cop ever pointed the weapon at the rider, he unholstered and approached the rider with the gun in the "hunt" position. This is not uncommon when dealing with the unknown, although I would not point the weapon and put my finger on the trigger until it became a deadly force situation. I just don't see the "aggressiveness" that is being claimed here.

The whole search warrant, detention situation sounds way over the top. There are less obtrusive ways to get the video removed from youtube, and I think the wiretapping charge was a bogus means to an end.

newcigarz 04-18-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 831713)
The rider put lots of people at risk with his riding and should have his license revoked.

I do not believe the cop ever pointed the weapon at the rider, he unholstered and approached the rider with the gun in the "hunt" position. This is not uncommon when dealing with the unknown, although I would not point the weapon and put my finger on the trigger until it became a deadly force situation. I just don't see the "aggressiveness" that is being claimed here.

The whole search warrant, detention situation sounds way over the top. There are less obtrusive ways to get the video removed from youtube, and I think the wiretapping charge was a bogus means to an end.

Thanks for weighing in on this Tom.

icehog3 04-18-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 831717)
Thanks for weighing in on this Tom.

I'd like to hear some more of your thoughts, Tony.

I guess I have bias in both directions, being a rider and an LEO.

newcigarz 04-18-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 831718)
I'd like to hear some more of your thoughts, Tony.

I guess I have bias in both directions, being a rider and an LEO.

I have watched the video multiple times.
1) The rider endangers everyone around him with his disregard for safety on a public road with moderate to heavy traffic.
2) sounds like he got off real easy with the ticket. Could have/should have been reckless driving.
3) I think that even though the LEO has a gun out in "hunt" mode as you call it, I don't know that it was necessary for that situation, and I don't know how the rider or myself for that matter would be able to determine this was a cop and not some road rager.
4) the "wiretapping" charge just drives me crazy.

Darrell 04-18-2010 10:54 AM

I don't really see where the Officer was in the bad. He stopped, drew his weapon, and ordered the rider off the bike. It's not like the guy was riding his big wheel down Main st eating cotton candy and drinking Pepsi Cola. He was being a menace and just because the Officer didn't "lay the badge on him" as my Grandpa would call it, doesn't mean he did not handle the situation properly. It's not like he threw the guy off the bike and put the pistol in his mouth.

As far as the wire tapping goes, a Judge has to sign those warrants, he must have felt that the Police has cause to enter the home. Is it overkill? Yeah, for a Youtube video, probably.

Overall, I think the Officer handled the situation fine, the rider was an obvious menace and needed to be dealt with swiftly.

:2

icehog3 04-18-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 831722)
3) I think that even though the LEO has a gun out in "hunt" mode as you call it, I don't know that it was necessary for that situation, and I don't know how the rider or myself for that matter would be able to determine this was a cop and not some road rager.

I wish there was audio, all we have is the rider's claim that the officer did not identify himself as such, and I am not sure I would take him at his word.

Remember that LEOs, via Supreme Court case law, are not judged by the "reasonable man" theory, but by the "reasonable police officer" theory...based on the totality of circumstances, the information available at the moment, and not to be judged by "Monday morning quarterbacking".

Based on what I saw, was it reasonable for the officer to pull his car in front of the stopped mototrcycle, unholster his weapon, and assertively approach the rider in an attempt to stop his reckless behavior? I'd say it absolutely was reasonable. :2

Cigary 04-18-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 831592)

ABATE was recently at an event I attend trying to get people to sign a petition.

Apparantly Florida is considering legislation that would allow the confiscation of a motorcycle going more than 40mph over the posted speed limit.

They argue it unfairly targets bikers and the same should be applied to cars.

I agree in some aspects.

Personally I never go that fast and won't ride with anyone who does.

It may seem like I'm painting with a broad brush, but nearly every time someone is riding like that, it is a guy in his
20's on a metric bike thinking he's a lot cooler than he really is.

I'm in agreement here as I have been riding motorcycles for 40 years and as with most things there are incidents out there that defy imagination. Not knowing the full details or the back story except from this report I'd say going 100mph is where things started to go wrong. The policeman should have identified himself in a more appropriate manner but there are some policemen who get "emotionally" involved in the incident where they stop being a policeman and act out with reactionary motives.

I also agree with the statement that most times it is some kid on a crotch rocket who is not using sound judgement and is "overtaken" by his feel of freedom of going fast and taking chances that gives other motorcyclists a bad name. It is a well known fact that the judgement part of the brain is not fully developed until the age of 25 which makes you think about the ramifications of what goes on out there.:confused: