Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   The new Dominos Pizza (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27372)

JE3146 01-15-2010 05:37 PM

The new Dominos Pizza

Just wanted to give a heads up for those that hate dominos.

Tried their new pizza and it's easily now the best pizza of the national chains IMO.

Very tasty for the price. While it won't beat out a couple of our local gourmet chains, I will say that it's probably now the 3rd-4th best pizza in my college town when we have easily over 20 pizza places within the city limits. :tu

icehog3 01-15-2010 05:40 PM

Re: The new Dominos Pizza

What changed, Jordan? Haven't seen any promotions.

NCRadioMan 01-15-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 721225)
What changed, Jordan? Haven't seen any promotions.

Really? They have been all over the tv and radio around here. They have new hand-tossed seasoned dough, a new robust sauce and real shredded cheese.

http://www.pizzaturnaround.com/

srduggins 01-15-2010 05:46 PM

Thanks, I've seen the commercial and was wondering about it. Now I need to find a Dominos near me.

JE3146 01-15-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 721230)
Really? They have been all over the tv and radio around here. They have new hand-tossed seasoned dough, a new robust sauce and real shredded cheese.

Not only that but the toppings are better too.. at least some. The olives are now very good.

Pineapple and pepperoni appear to be the same, but overall it's very obvious they tried to improve this thing.

weak_link 01-15-2010 05:58 PM

I was wondering if the changes made a difference, soundss like I need to place an order.

Don Fernando 01-15-2010 06:04 PM

Domino sucks IMHO. And yes Jordan, I can have an opinion on these, as we have Domino's here too.

A company that puts out a TV add like this should fire their marketing manager.

G G 01-15-2010 06:17 PM

I have never cared for them either Ferdie.:tu

replicant_argent 01-15-2010 06:21 PM

Quite frankly.. Any change whatsoever would be a change for the better, in my opinion. I might try it. Papa Murphys is our pizza of choice here, and it would take a pretty big leap in quality of ingredients and crust improvements to equal it.

Starscream 01-15-2010 06:27 PM

Just tried it. Not bad. Not great, but better than before. The sauce isn't as sweet and the crust has parmesan sprinkles all over it.

kelmac07 01-15-2010 06:34 PM

I tried it last weekend...I still prefer Papa Johns any day.

JE3146 01-15-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 721267)
Just tried it. Not bad. Not great, but better than before. The sauce isn't as sweet and the crust has parmesan sprinkles all over it.

It's more of a garlic-parmesan-butter spread over the crust.

The sauce has a bit of bite to it as well. Definitely not sweet anymore. More spicy in stead. Crust is actually doughy as well.

Starscream 01-15-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 721279)
It's more of a garlic-parmesan-butter spread over the crust.

The sauce has a bit of bite to it as well. Definitely not sweet anymore. More spicy in stead. Crust is actually doughy as well.

Exactly.

Kind of a cross between Pizza Hut and Papa John's. Don't know if that's going to be a good thing for Domino's or not.:hm

T.G 01-15-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 721230)

As opposed to "fake shredded cheese"?

Or just fake cheese?

Tripp 01-15-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 721307)
As opposed to "fake shredded cheese"?

Or just fake cheese?

I think they actually used frozen cheese previously, and have now switched to fresh grated. Though I may be wrong.

T.G 01-15-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp (Post 721310)
I think they actually used frozen cheese previously, though I may be wrong.

Ok, but how was that not "real"?

Volt 01-15-2010 07:52 PM

Dominoes is the only pizza delivery where I live. In the past we would still order it but thought is was at best so-so. We got one the other day and I noticed it was quite a bit better. Then I saw the commercials and understood why. At least I feel better about ordering from them now. Not a great pizza, but not a bad one any more either.

OLS 01-15-2010 08:03 PM

I am not sure the commercial qualifies as bad marketing. Pizza is a tough racket. If your pizza sucks, it takes balls to go on national TV and tell it like it is. They are not saying they thought their pizza sucked, they are saying the PUBLIC thought their pizza sucked. And it did. If they turn their situation around, no one will remember the spots in 5 years. "Where's the BEEF!" it ain't. You would be surprised what passes for "rules" in advertising. Bottom line, there are no rules. Just success and failure. I think this will be a success. But it will not be worth the time if the peole on the phone do not continue to recognize what a huge part they play. In Memphis, I gave up calling for Pizza, cause all you get is slack jawed idiots who can barely speak english and think they are doing somebody a favor by coming in and doing nothing for 8 hours in exchange for their low pay they agreed to work for.

Starscream 01-15-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 721367)
Dominoes is the only pizza delivery where I live. In the past we would still order it but thought is was at best so-so. We got one the other day and I noticed it was quite a bit better. Then I saw the commercials and understood why. At least I feel better about ordering from them now. Not a great pizza, but not a bad one any more either.

I wish I could get a hold of real Chicago Deep Dish or NY Style Pizza down here. But Domino's Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, and the local cardboard mom n pops are the best we can get down here. There's an Uno's in Myrtle Beach but I hear it's not the same as the real ones in Chicago.

There is a Greek restaurant that serves decent pizza, but I want to try real Deep Dish that will give you a heart attack from one slice.:dr

Starscream 01-15-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 721377)
In Memphis, I gave up calling for Pizza, cause all you get is slack jawed idiots who can barely speak english and think they are doing somebody a favor by coming in and doing nothing for 8 hours in exchange for their low pay they agreed to work for.

I've worked in Pizza and fast food. You get what you pay for. Honestly the hardest working job I ever held was in the food industry, yet it was the least paying job I held. Pizza Hut is far more strenuous than teaching, yet it pays Sh!t!.