Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Pour Over Coffee Brewing (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67667)

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 09-04-2014 04:56 PM

Pour Over Coffee Brewing

Anyone use Pour Over Coffee systems to make coffee? I’m thinking about giving this a try. I’m normally a French press user at home, but have been reading up a Pour Over methods. The Chemex line looks cools but appears over priced for what it really is. The Hairo V60 appears to be a good option and the Clever Coffee Dripper also looks interesting (sort of a combo between pour over and immersion brewing).

markem 09-04-2014 06:55 PM

Re: Pour Over Coffee Brewing

I was using the Hario V60 system, but a friend gave me an Aeropress and I have not looked back. The Aeropress technique is like a french press with a paper filter. Check out the youtube videos. I use the inverted technique, which gives me a less acidic (bright) flavor.

kydsid 09-04-2014 08:30 PM

It's how I make all my coffee. There are lots of cheap pour over setups you can piece together. Love my chemex, but if you want cheap go to goodwill or the like. I got a setup at one for the office for $2.

ApexAZ 09-04-2014 08:46 PM

I like my chemex. I just got an Abel Kone to eliminate the need to use a filter. Also love my aeropress, but like the ability to make a larger batch with my chemex.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 09-11-2014 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info! I had not considered the Aeropress and that looks pretty cool.

MarkinAZ 09-11-2014 07:38 PM

My "pour over coffee system" Jason has been the Melita One Cupper using a brown #2 filter. Been using this system since the Summer of 1984. Now...

I do know a good buddy on the forum here up in the Sacramento area that will swear by the Aeropress, and one of these days, I will have to put a crowbar in my wallet and purchase one to find out:D

ApexAZ 09-16-2014 10:06 AM

I highly recommend the aeropress for single cups. It makes a very good cup. I primarily use mine while traveling, but sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I'll grind some beans at work and make a cup.

Something about the way it filters works very well. The cup is somewhere in between a French press and a drip. It's nothing like an espresso like they advertise though. It makes strong, full bodied coffee, but it's not the same as espresso. For $25 on amazon you can't go wrong :) Just add hot water.

grateful1 09-16-2014 10:52 AM

I had two cups of 'poor' over from Starb's this summer....will never do it again!
Some awful coffee.

I do like the aeropress idea though!

ApexAZ 09-16-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful1 (Post 1986992)
I had two cups of 'poor' over from Starb's this summer....will never do it again!
Some awful coffee.

I do like the aeropress idea though!

Starbucks coffee is horrible all around to me. It tastes too burnt. Their refresher energy drinks are pretty good though.