Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Penzance - is it for real? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69169)

nutcracker 03-10-2015 08:40 AM

Penzance - is it for real?

So Rob (Badbriar) generously helped me procure some of this stuff. I always wonder about hype - especially hard to find/ limited editions/ etc. Interestingly though the tobacco is not that expensive retail - just hard to find and abused by secondary markets.

I opened the bag on the weekend to give it a try and loaded a bowl immediately. Struggled to get it going, so abandoned the attempt is fear of scorching the rim. I set some aside to dry a bit for 6 hours and had a go last night.

Te appearance is like crumbling thin sliced biltong (jerky). The aroma is powerful - fills the space even before lighting. A smokey medicinal smell that reminds me of Laphroiag single malt. - iodine, salty seaweed and bandaids.

I packed a big bowl full in my Dunhill '56 Canadian shell briar. First imprssions were underwhelming, but after ten minutes this went full bore. Tons of flavour and aroma. Fantastic - BBQ meat, turkey dark meat and stuffing, maybe even dates and figs. This is a meal of a smoke.

The aftertaste hung around for a good hour. Later in the day I had some Syrian Star and it seemed positively whimpish by comparison.

CoffeeWaterBeer 03-10-2015 12:33 PM

Re: Penzance - is it for real?

Thanks for the review Neil. You've got me salivating on my keyboard. I have to say that's the first time I've heard band-aid used to describe a baccy aroma :lol:

nutcracker 03-10-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer (Post 2022598)
I have to say that's the first time I've heard band-aid used to describe a baccy aroma :lol:

Well - give it a whiff and tell me if I'm wrong!

badbriar 03-10-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 2022613)
Well - give it a whiff and tell me if I'm wrong!

If you have any left for aging, :D The aroma is very refined... And strong! Methinks this stuff is made in Olympus!

gravel 03-10-2015 08:24 PM

Penzance is tasty, but can be underwhelming for all the hype. I am fortunate to have had a little more than a pound of the stuff. I shared most of it, as I wanted others to experience it as well.

It isn't my white whale, but I thought it would be. My first smoke was sublime.

Stonehaven, on the other hand, is poetry. I've had it once.

CoffeeWaterBeer 03-11-2015 08:31 AM

Of the Esoterica blend Pen and SH are the only 2 I've had. I really did enjoy Penzance but didn't pick up on the band-aid from the sample I had. To be fair, my palette is still learning with Lat blends and I was much greener when it was smoked.

AdamJoshua 03-11-2015 09:03 AM

I thought Penzance was for pirates. :sh

Subvet642 03-11-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbriar (Post 2022664)
If you have any left for aging, :D The aroma is very refined... And strong! Methinks this stuff is made in Olympus!

+1 :tpd:

CoffeeWaterBeer 04-16-2015 09:49 AM

Now that I'm aware of the band-aid/antispetic hints, I've noticed it in Blue Mountain as well. Not a bad thing by any stretch, just interesting now that it's identified.

Subvet642 04-16-2015 10:43 AM

It certainly has a taste of its own.

badbriar 04-16-2015 11:15 AM

reminds me of Laphroiag single malt. - iodine, salty seaweed and bandaids.

Neil - that bandaid aroma was from the boo-boo on your hand!!! Sheesh! - Bandaids!!!

Next thing, he'll be telling about the cigars that taste like chocolate!

:lr :lr :lr

The.Sheepdog 04-30-2015 08:02 PM

what? Chocolate cigars? All I ever got was tobacco and a few bubble gum cigars!

I want some!