Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Does Anyone Here Know Black? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52528)

Mister Moo 01-10-2012 02:04 PM

Does Anyone Here Know Black?

Screen name BLACK.

Kyle Black, from Webster, Texas?

I am very curious if anyone knows this guy firsthand. :sh

See, Kyle Black scammed a $300 Pipe Box Pass at another forum. :sl

I'm hoping that someone here can say they know him personally and that's just plain impossible and I am totally full of horse hockey about that.
:gary

Blak Smyth 01-10-2012 02:06 PM

Re: Does Anyone Here Know Black?

Please do not confuse this with Blak.

Sorry for your loss brother, I have never heard of this scammer and glad I don't know him.

ApexAZ 01-10-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1526503)
Screen name BLACK.

I'm hoping that someone here can say they know him personally and that's just plain impossible and I am totally full of horse hockey about that.

That sucks. What is a pipe box pass?

Mister Moo 01-10-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1526567)
That sucks. What is a pipe box pass?

It's like any (cigar) box pass but the contents are limited to pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe accessories.

Someone fills a box with gear and it is passed along thru a list of participants who have signed up to play - each pass member takes what they wish, replaces it with something of equal (or greater) value and mails it to the next person on the list. The guy who starts it by filling a box takes the risk it may disappear, which doesn't happen often. Each member along the way get to treat the contents as a monster sampler. Presumably, when it gets back to the guy who startred it he has a box filled with stuff he hasn't seen before.

Kyle Black got a loaded box, didn't respond to emails or pm's and it was never seen again. He has cropped up on some other forums. I was hoping someone here knew him and could help get things straightened out.

If not, heads up.

ApexAZ 01-10-2012 03:46 PM

Bummer =( That's not cool.

Neuromancer 01-10-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1526503)
Screen name BLACK.

Do you know how long ago this happened? Can you tell us the forum or do you want not to disseminate that info? I would think it highly unlikely he would use that screen name on any other forum as he'd have to know people are looking for him...just my :2c

pnoon 01-10-2012 04:04 PM

I can do some digging. If I find anything, I'll PM Mr Moo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taki 01-10-2012 04:08 PM

Sucks brother...thanks for the heads up :tu Hope Peter can help ya out

Mister Moo 01-11-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1526595)
I can do some digging. If I find anything, I'll PM Mr Moo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Peter. If he shows up here this is the heads up, I guess.

Mister Moo 01-11-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 1526581)
Do you know how long ago this happened? Can you tell us the forum or do you want not to disseminate that info? I would think it highly unlikely he would use that screen name on any other forum as he'd have to know people are looking for him...just my :2c

PM me if you want details; I don't like talking about one forum at another if that's OK.

When Kyle Black disappeared the Box Pass he was already a (new-ish) member at a couple of forums. I doubt he'll sign up here under the same name if he isn't already signed up. The box was declared "gone" July but he recently resurfaced with a series of self-serving emails to me offering to take "full responsibility" and in some way make good on the gear (without admitting he'd done anything wrong) if I'd "clear his name". When I told him to make good in any financial way, shape or form first he stopped communicating - his modus operandi.

He also ordered a custom pipe from a member pipemaker and, expecting it would ship when complete, kept saying his check was in the mail. He never sent the promised payment and never replied to the carvers later inquiries.

CigarDisciple 01-11-2012 12:31 PM

Sorry to here that Dan, Some people have no manners or scrupples. I am also member on a couple of pipe sites, will keep my eyes open

CoreyD 01-11-2012 03:36 PM

Is it possible you could get the the digits he logs and signs in there and peter could run a search on that just in case a different user name is used to protect us.

Neuromancer 01-11-2012 04:07 PM

Ya know, I wonder if that could be construed as mail fraud if the box was sent through the USPS...the other forum should check into it. Since the box made it to him his address must be correct...anyone on our board or theirs that lives near enough to him to knock on his door or contact the police about a theft?

Fordman4ever 01-17-2012 04:26 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me if it hasn't been too long ago.

Mister Moo 01-17-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordman4ever (Post 1532756)
Sounds like a good idea to me if it hasn't been too long ago.

It has been too long and nobody directly involved wants to pursue charges; we just don't want him popping up elsewhere and scamming folks. And it is (remotely) possible he didn't steal anything but just mishandled his end with gross irresponsibility. I doubt it - but it's possible. Nailing down that remote possibility was one reason for the thread; warning everyone was the other.