Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HTF Cigars - Which Are Worthy of the Search? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68929)

JohnnyFlake 02-04-2015 01:08 PM

HTF Cigars - Which Are Worthy of the Search?

Just because a particular cigar is Hard To Find, that doesn't automatically mean, that it's a great cigar. Which of the HTF Cigars, of which there seems to be many, many, now days , are truly worth the search?

stearns 02-04-2015 01:27 PM

Re: HTF Cigars - Which Are Worthy of the Search?

http://www.waltinpa.com/images/Lars%...rs%20-%201.jpg

:tu

Remo 02-04-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearns (Post 2016153)

Are those the legendary "Gorilla Fingers" I have read about in CA mythology?

T.G 02-04-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearns (Post 2016153)

:tpd:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo (Post 2016158)
Are those the legendary "Gorilla Fingers" I have read about in CA mythology?

Same manufacturer, if you want to call Lars that.

WhiteMamba 02-04-2015 01:57 PM

Is this for real? I just went to that cite and it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.

stearns 02-04-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteMamba (Post 2016165)
it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.

You have just described the company, as well as the individual behind the company, perfectly :tu

WhiteMamba 02-04-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearns (Post 2016166)
You have just described the company, as well as the individual behind the company, perfectly :tu

:r I can dig it I guess. To each his own.

T.G 02-04-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteMamba (Post 2016165)
Is this for real? I just went to that cite and it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.

He's a modern day da Vinci I tell you.

Don't believe me, just ask him.

jhedrick83 02-04-2015 02:40 PM

For a good laugh, check out http://www.larstetens.com/about.html on the right read "Lars on Gars". Pretty funny even without the spelling and grammar errors. For example-

"8.The cigars does not follow great people. Great people follow the cigar. It is because of it’s nature, peace. "

Either this guy took a couple blows to the head as a kid or uses his cigars as wrappers for something else...

T.G 02-04-2015 02:49 PM

How dare you insinuate such things about the master of all things.

(I think he actually snacks on lead paint chips)

JohnnyFlake 02-04-2015 03:23 PM

I appreciate the responses guys, but to be honest, I am confused with whats going on.

Wharf Rat 02-04-2015 03:48 PM

I'm trying to remember how many times, "Please don't feed the trolls" was posted in alt.smokers.cigars...

stearns 02-04-2015 03:58 PM

Sorry Johnny, I instantly derailed your thread.

When I think about HTF stuff that's worth the search (for NCs), I usually think of stronger stuff, since in my opinion some of the milder stuff mellows out too quickly, and a lot of the HTF stuff is either older or could get some age before being smokes. With that in mind, some of the older strong tats such as the T110 and M80 are a good find, as well as the old blacks and reservas.

Of course most of my experience is with tats, so I can't speak specifically about other marcas, but I know I have found some older stuff in the past after looking around for a while, and after smoking them I am underwhelmed since they lost their sparkle over the years. Typically when I look for the HTF stuff, even if I'm buying fresh, it's because I'm going to hang onto it for a while and smoke it around friends, or give to friends to smoke.

Didn't quite answer your question with a list, but that's my thought behind it

T.G 02-04-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 2016191)
I appreciate the responses guys, but to be honest, I am confused with whats going on.

Ben and I were both pulling your leg and sarcastically reinforcing what you stated in your post. Lars Teten's cigars are most certainly HTF. They are also complete and utter sh!t driven to sell by the curiosity of those wondering about the absurdity of his fantastic (and mostly fabricated) claims of greatness. If they were any good, he'd have repeat business, he hasn't made them for some time because no one is really buying them anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat (Post 2016195)
I'm trying to remember how many times, "Please don't feed the trolls" was posted in alt.smokers.cigars...

They say memory is the first thing to go.

E.J. 02-04-2015 04:53 PM

I'd go out of my way to purchase more Pork Tenderloins, T110's, Barclay Rex, the Boris some other cigars, but probably not at the premium that would be ask.

AdamJoshua 02-04-2015 05:08 PM

Depends on how you classify HTF, I've noticed over the last couple of years that some companies that release short runs of cigars to build up the anticipation and hype, the prices go through the roof on the secondary market and the cigars just aren't that good. DE comes to mind.

RevSmoke 02-04-2015 05:25 PM

I would love to find some Punch Super Rothschilds (NCs), but they are no longer made and probably went out of production back in the late 1990s. Another one that has disappeared are Cifuentes - yes, they have reincarnated the name and a few cigars, but I'd love to find some of the older stuff again.

T.G 02-04-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2016207)
Depends on how you classify HTF, I've noticed over the last couple of years that some companies that release short runs of cigars to build up the anticipation and hype, the prices go through the roof on the secondary market and the cigars just aren't that good. DE comes to mind.

I think almost most all NC manufacturers are guilty of hyping limited / short run cigars. :2

I personally don't really bother to chase any HTF NCs anymore. I've had some very good ones, and some very underwhelming ones, but I just don't find the payoff to be worth the effort of the chase and price hike of the secondary market. At least for me. Sure, for certain ones, if I walk into a store and they are there at MSRP, I might indeed pick them up, but I'm not running after any of them. Too many other good cigars out there that are easy enough to get.

AdamJoshua 02-04-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2016212)
I think almost most all NC manufacturers are guilty of hyping limited / short run cigars. :2

I personally don't really bother to chase any HTF NCs anymore. I've had some very good ones, and some very underwhelming ones, but I just don't find the payoff to be worth the effort of the chase and price hike of the secondary market. At least for me. Sure, for certain ones, if I walk into a store and they are there at MSRP, I might indeed pick them up, but I'm not running after any of them. Too many other good cigars out there that are easy enough to get.

I agree, the owner of my local B&M will get in those "HTF" boxes now and then and dole them out to the regulars, making sure everyone gets one or two, if I happen to go in and he has something put aside I am more than happy to pay MSRP for something different and hyped just to try it.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 02-04-2015 05:39 PM

I thought that the DE Liga Unico Ratzilla was really good.