Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Losing some love for Pepin lately (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74787)

borndead1 01-27-2019 03:39 PM

Losing some love for Pepin lately

Had a couple of nasty My Father lanceros, a really bad Cuban Classic, and I just snuffed out my first La Duena. Has production taken precedence over quality? The tobacco in all three of these cigars tasted...un-fermented? I dunno...I got a harsh chemical/ammonia taste in all three. And not just toward the nub, which isn't uncommon. I mean an inch or two into the cigar.

Bad luck? Am I the only one?

kelmac07 01-27-2019 03:46 PM

Re: Losing some love for Pepin lately

Can't comment on the newer My Father stuff (as I haven't tried a bunch), but I still love the old JJ Series Maduros (from 2008). One of my top five smokes ever. :dr:dr

Also still enjoy the Cuban Classic, but again, still smoking 2008/2009 stock, haven't bought any of these in over ten years.

Mark...were these all recently purchased sticks? Or older sticks?

Remo 01-27-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 2168496)
Had a couple of nasty My Father lanceros, a really bad Cuban Classic, and I just snuffed out my first La Duena. Has production taken precedence over quality? The tobacco in all three of these cigars tasted...un-fermented? I dunno...I got a harsh chemical/ammonia taste in all three. And not just toward the nub, which isn't uncommon. I mean an inch or two into the cigar.

Bad luck? Am I the only one?

I haven’t smoked a lot of Pepin lately but I am with you, the newer smokes have definitely fallen off. The older stuff that Mac mentioned are delicious!!

Tio Gato 01-27-2019 04:17 PM

Aging does wonders for DPG smokes. If you're getting ammonia the cigar needs a long nap. Ammonia is a natural byproduct (their waste) of the predominate natural bacteria. At some point their own waste is too strong for them to survive. A secondary bacteria becomes active and their diet is the ammonia. Thankingfully their waste has that sweet dried fruit favor that makes for a great smoke.

Let them rest and look for the sweet smell of raisins, prunes and dried cherries on the foot.
You'll be happy you let them snooze.:2

shilala 01-27-2019 05:26 PM

General took over those DPG blends a couple years after Mac cornered the market.
They all turned to poop immediately.
I can remember Vinnie bought me a couple boxes of DPG Maduro’s, Pepin rolled.
They were beyond comprehension good. Ethereal.
I don’t know what or if Pepin still rolls.
I just know the blends I enjoyed and my thoughts of the brand became worthless back around 2010-11.
I still cry at night sometimes.
It was such a beautiful time.

elderboy02 01-27-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 2168503)
General took over those DPG blends a couple years after Mac cornered the market.

??? link?

icehog3 01-27-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 2168509)
??? link?

patty??

Wharf Rat 01-27-2019 06:04 PM

I used to love the old Vegas Cubanas and Blues. Can’t say I ever got on board with the My Fathers. If I had to buy a newer Pepin cigar, it’d be a Flor de Antillles. Guess I’ll have to try the new VGs for fun.

Tio Gato 01-28-2019 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2168512)
patty??

:r:r I see what ya'll did there! Well done Tom.:tu

gomeitsmybday 01-28-2019 04:43 AM

ahhh this is a bit concerning for me...as of this moment i have 2 boxes of blues, 1 box black and 1 box JJ in the humidors!
i recently got into DPG after smoking a 5er of both black & blue...all of them were pretty good but 2 out of each 5 pack were *stunning* so i figured maybe it was more on my end for not having them in the right rh zone..ftr they only rested about 3-4 months before smoking, so definitely still young-
but yeah those 4 amazing DPG sticks i had were SO flavorful that i just had to stock up on more of this brand...im hoping that when i get to around to smoking them, that the odds are better than 2/5 :/
and while we are on the topic of DPG, what rh do you guys keep them at? maybe they taste better at a specific rh zone...ive come to realize some brands are finicky like that.

shilala 01-28-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 2168509)
??? link?

Link this.

CigarNut 01-28-2019 07:07 AM

I really like the DPG Cuban Classics and used to smoke them quite a bit -- I have not had one in a year or so, but I hope that they have not gone to sh!t with the other DPGs...

Beagleone 01-28-2019 08:38 AM

Pepin is still rolling some, but he has largely turned over the children. Jaime is handling the operations in Nica, Janey is handling the business side here in the US. Pepin is still blending and with the help of Pete Johnson, they are still making strides in market. I believe they made some expansions to the operations in the last year or two, so it may be growing pains that have caused recent issues.

Shilala - General only wish they could take over My Father, that would mean getting access to the Pete's lines as well, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Razorhog 02-11-2019 01:10 PM

This talk of DPG cigars going downhill is disconcerting. I've just got to a point in my life where I can afford some of them! :) For instance I got a Flor de las Antillas in a trade a couple weeks ago. Smoked it and immediately bought a box, it was sooooo good. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Going to let them rest awhile.
Having said that, I was very much looking forward to trying other My Father blends. I did have a La Oferta lancero a while back and it started out great but ended up not being very good.
I've heard people like Jaime's Reserva Especial, and was thinking of trying to find a 5'er.

RevSmoke 02-11-2019 02:16 PM

I miss some of the sizes that used to be available too. DPG Black perlas were my favorite in the line, fantabulous.

The JJ Maduros were excellent. I haven't had a problem with them, but I buy them on sale, and them put them away as I smoke the older ones. I have not had problems with them.

The camaro show 02-11-2019 02:28 PM

I guess this explains the blue I had last week It was terrible and only got worse. Looks like the other is taking a nap!

oldforge 02-15-2019 12:04 PM

Earlier this week I cracked open a box and smoked a five year old JJ natural.

It took my breath away--amazing.

I haven't bought any new Pepins in the last few years--so can't comment on the current quality.

hammondc 02-15-2019 01:00 PM

Man.....those old blues........

TXRebel 02-16-2019 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 2169611)
I miss some of the sizes that used to be available too. DPG Black perlas were my favorite in the line, fantabulous.

Miss those Perlas as well, they were an excellent short smoke.

gomeitsmybday 02-17-2019 10:28 AM

I hate to have to lend further credence to this but last night I tried to smoke one of my Pepin Blue Invictos and it was just...well, just not good. Had to stop about halfway...granted, they've only rested in the humi for about 3 months, but a few memorable DPGs I've had before rested for about the same amount of time and were stunning...
Plus, there was a pretty gnarly stem at the cap :/ hoping this was just a fluke however, and will be giving the rest much more time in the humi...