Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Storing cigars together (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74050)

RevSmoke 04-15-2018 07:45 PM

Storing cigars together

OK, I have been doing my own thing for years in regard to storage. I have an igloo-dor, and so I like to have cigar boxes in there so that the cedar stabilizes everything. However, I have usually tried not to put different cigars together in the same box, especially if they are seriously different in regard to their flavor profile. (like putting Oliva V in with Paul Garmirian Gourmet). There is always the fear that cigars will absorb from one another, especially if they are touching - thereby losing that which is distinctive to each particular stick.

And, as I have cigars that are anywhere from 21 years to 2 years old in there...

Do y'all think this is true?

Just something to get a new conversation started.

Or am I paranoid.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

CigarNut 04-16-2018 06:03 AM

Re: Storing cigars together

The only rule I've heard of is to store infused cigars separately from "regular" cigars -- the infusions can be absorbed by other cigars. I know many cigar stores have their infused cigars among regular stock and they do not seem to suffer any harm. But it can't hurt to keep them separate.

Other than that, you can do anything you want without any harm.

Just my :2

AdamJoshua 04-16-2018 07:15 AM

At a herf a few years back Ajay was there giving Goatlocker "pointers" on how to store his cigars :lr anyway one thing he said is to take all the singles and put them in boxes with a sheet of cedar between the layers, it's much better than in a drawer or just in a pile. That was his :2

Da Klugs 04-16-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 2149900)
The only rule I've heard of is to store infused cigars separately from "regular" cigars -- the infusions can be absorbed by other cigars. I know many cigar stores have their infused cigars among regular stock and they do not seem to suffer any harm. But it can't hurt to keep them separate.

Other than that, you can do anything you want without any harm.

Just my :2

Infused cigars should always be stored in the garage. Preferably someone else's. :)

Steve 04-16-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Klugs (Post 2149913)
Infused cigars should always be stored in the garage. Preferably someone else's. :)

Winning!

icehog3 04-16-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

:noon :noon :noon :noon :noon :noon

SMOKING CAMPER 04-16-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2149906)
At a herf a few years back Ajay was there giving Goatlocker "pointers" on how to store his cigars :lr anyway one thing he said is to take all the singles and put them in boxes with a sheet of cedar between the layers, it's much better than in a drawer or just in a pile. That was his :2

This sounds like a good idea with the cedar sheets between the layers. :tu

T.G 04-16-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

You are still in Ohio, right? Just curious...

Black Coral 04-16-2018 06:58 PM

I would agree with Da Klugs but a tree in the yard at shack for at least a year for a punishment pass cigar is far better than another’s garbage can

Weelok 04-16-2018 08:17 PM

I would be careful storing cigars out of the cello next to each other. Naked cigars laying next to each other leads to a bunch of cigarillos crowding up your humidor. Just a word of warning.

Practice safe Cigar storage.

Edeustace 08-05-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weelok (Post 2149965)
I would be careful storing cigars out of the cello next to each other. Naked cigars laying next to each other leads to a bunch of cigarillos crowding up your humidor. Just a word of warning.

Practice safe Cigar storage.

I have always heard the same advise to leave the cello on and put naked cigars in separated layers or in different boxes, is this true or should they be kept completely separate?

Weelok 08-05-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edeustace (Post 2157686)
I have always heard the same advise to leave the cello on and put naked cigars in separated layers or in different boxes, is this true or should they be kept completely separate?

Well, if I’m forced to be serious, I prefer cello these days as it slows the air exchange so for long term storage it prevents the cigars from mellowing as fast. If the cigars have no cello, I just place them wherever.

I don’t see cigars mixing oils or flavors, just mellowing. The cigars will pick up the ambient aroma so cedar lined humidors and as much cedar as possible so you get that flavor over time, eg infusion. My general rule is if you like strong cigars, don’t age them much but a few years is fine. If you like milder, smoother cigars and retrohale looking for nuances, then age is your friend.

Air exchange in a humidor is really the problem but you have to have some as cigars that are fresh out gas ammonia and it’s good to have that gas leave the humidor.

kelmac07 08-05-2018 07:58 PM

I keep similar tasting sticks together. But I think that's just my OCD. :D

mosesbotbol 08-06-2018 06:37 AM

Use regular wax paper to divide different cigars and never worry.

You admit to buy infused cigars?