Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Cigargal 10-15-2008 06:23 PM

What are you reading?

One of my favorite topics(after all, I am a librarian)

Right now I am reading Exit Music, by Ian Rankin. The last John Rebus novel.

I am listening to A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helpren.

Tombstone 10-15-2008 06:30 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Right now i am reading the Bible and America Alone. I just finished Watchmen. It was a great book.

:eevis 10-15-2008 06:31 PM

Just Finished 1984, again
Just Started Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice

Cigargal 10-15-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone (Post 8101)
Right now i am reading the Bible and America Alone. I just finished Watchmen. It was a great book.

I read part of Watchmen-need to finish it. Great story.

PitmanGeek 10-15-2008 06:32 PM

I started (and finished) Jar City by Arnaldur Indrišason this past Sunday. If you like crime thrillers, this one is indeed good. It had been quite a long time since I started and finished a book in one day, but I just couldn't put this one down.

Tombstone 10-15-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 8111)
I read part of Watchmen-need to finish it. Great story.

It really is. I cannot wait for the movie!

Neuromancer 10-15-2008 06:34 PM

Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, Scott Fischman's Online Ace (Poker) and the Tanakh (Old Testament)...

King James 10-15-2008 06:41 PM

besides school stuff, dabbling in complete works of Edgar Allan Poe

GWags 10-15-2008 06:51 PM

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West

Have not read a book of this size in 10+ yrs - so I'll be at it awhile!

:eevis 10-15-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 8134)
Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, Scott Fischman's Online Ace (Poker) and the Tanakh (Old Testament)...

How is Fragile Things. I absolutley love American Gods, and Neverwhere is the next on my list?

Starscream 10-15-2008 07:07 PM

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

smitdavi 10-15-2008 07:49 PM

Working through the Vince Flynn novels right now :tu

mugwump 10-15-2008 09:32 PM

I'm trying to finish up a Jack Reacher thriller I started while on vacation and I just got a pile of new books for my birthday. I plan to tackle "The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington" next.

JKim 10-15-2008 09:33 PM

Switching between Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" and Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed"

Cigargal 10-15-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitmanGeek (Post 8115)
I started (and finished) Jar City by Arnaldur Indrišason this past Sunday. If you like crime thrillers, this one is indeed good. It had been quite a long time since I started and finished a book in one day, but I just couldn't put this one down.

I just ordered this book-wow, a detective story from Iceland-too cool!

jledou 10-15-2008 09:34 PM

Promises of the Witch King by R.A. Salvatore.

Scottw 10-15-2008 09:35 PM

The House of Mondavi. Obviously about the rise and fall of the Robert Mondavi Winery.

Sandman 10-15-2008 09:36 PM

Just finished reading The Bali 9. 9 Aussies caught smuggling heroin out of Bali a few years back, A bunch of idiots if you ask me, as Bali has the death penalty for drugs.

JKim 10-15-2008 09:37 PM

Matt.. reminds me of that show "Locked Up Abroad".... people do such moronic things to get caught... usually boils down to greed...

The Korean 10-15-2008 09:38 PM

It never rains in Tiger Stadium by John Ed Bradley. Of course it's about a bio of a former LSU football player and his adjustment after college FB.

Sandman 10-15-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKim (Post 9274)
Matt.. reminds me of that show "Locked Up Abroad".... people do such moronic things to get caught... usually boils down to greed...

You are right, it is very much like that show. My wife loves that show BTW.

Starscream 10-16-2008 08:50 AM

Hamlet Act I

Kneo 10-16-2008 09:09 AM

Right now I am reading Brisingr

Cigargal 10-16-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 10650)
Hamlet Act I

Do you think you might move on to Act 2 if the story grabs you?

Clampdown 10-16-2008 10:43 AM

Horrible AP Essays,

gettysburgfreak 10-16-2008 11:12 AM

Right now I have been reading Hardtack and Coffee and am in the process of writing my own book about a Civil War surgeon. Hopefully it will get accepted by one of the publishers I sent my manuscript to.

Beer Doctor 10-16-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by :eevis (Post 8107)
Just Finished 1984, again
Just Started Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice

I love the Vampire Chronicles and 1984.

Just finished The Godfather.

Ms. SeanGAR 10-16-2008 08:56 PM

Just finished reading "playing for pizza"..A John Grisham's book..very unlike his other books as it is not about lawyer stuff which I like. Great book in my opinion as I'm a huge football fan. I'm also a JG fan..I started reading "the brethren"...so far so good.. great concept for this website too..
Annie

cricky101 10-16-2008 09:01 PM

"The New Kings of Nonfiction" - a collection put together and introduced by Ira Glass.

and

"Post Office" by Charles Bukowski

GWags 10-16-2008 10:52 PM

I admire those that can read mulitple books at one time. I stuggle focusing on one at time.

sikk50 10-16-2008 11:05 PM

I'm reading "Fire in the Belly" it's pretty good, but really hard to explain

FXAdam 10-17-2008 12:56 AM

Just finished J-Pod by Douglas Copeland the other day. Not sure what's next. Probably the Theory of Poker again.

Cybervee 10-17-2008 07:14 AM

The Surrogates - for the third or fourth time. I can hardly wait until next year when the movie comes out. :dr Also reading a proof copy of what was originally titled 'Homeland'. Both graphic novels written by Rob Venditti. :tu

Did I mention that Rob is my nephew?

Starscream 10-17-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 11196)
Do you think you might move on to Act 2 if the story grabs you?

I'll be reading whether it grabs me or not. It has grabbed me btw, the first time I read it. (long ago)

Right now I am reading poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.:tu

VirtualSmitty 10-17-2008 09:10 AM

Hannibal crosses the Alps. Decent read so far.

Cigargal 10-17-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 15354)
Hannibal crosses the Alps. Decent read so far.

In the book I am reading about an Italian soldier in WWI it is mentioned that Hannibal swam his elephants to Spain-is this true?

Mustang1 10-17-2008 11:09 AM

Just finished Crichton's State Of Fear. I really liked it.

I'm in between books right now, although I'm looking to pick up Chuck Paliunik's Choke before the movie comes out.

Stig 10-17-2008 11:20 AM

I'm reading Asylum posts. DUH!!!!

Cigargal 10-17-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang1 (Post 15771)
Just finished Crichton's State Of Fear. I really liked it.

I'm in between books right now, although I'm looking to pick up Chuck Paliunik's Choke before the movie comes out.

I read one of his books-haunted, I think, about the writers locked up in an old theatre. It was twisted. Are all his books like that?

VirtualSmitty 10-17-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 15763)
In the book I am reading about an Italian soldier in WWI it is mentioned that Hannibal swam his elephants to Spain-is this true?

No, most historians believe he crossed them in specially constructed rafts. There are a lot of theories on the subject, but most agree with some form of boat. Although there are a fair amount of folks who think the elephant part of the story is myth. No elephant remains have ever been found in the alps.

MileHighGolfer 10-17-2008 12:07 PM

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Cigargal 10-17-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 15998)
No, most historians believe he crossed them in specially constructed rafts. There are a lot of theories on the subject, but most agree with some form of boat. Although there are a fair amount of folks who think the elephant part of the story is myth. No elephant remains have ever been found in the alps.

That is true....and I doubt he went to the trouble to return them to Africa...so there would be elephants in Italy.

Cigargal 10-19-2008 09:53 AM

Finished Exit Music-one of the best Rebus stories ever. Now I am reading Don't Know Much about History, by Kenneth C. Davis. Wonderful book so far...interesting to see some of our myths debunked. I still want to know if Washington stood up in the boat as they crossed the Delaware.

VirtualSmitty 10-19-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 17288)
That is true....and I doubt he went to the trouble to return them to Africa...so there would be elephants in Italy.

That's just it. There are so many theories about how, where, and if. Nobody is sure exactly where Hannibal crossed into Italy and it was only just recently that archaeologists found a camp in southern Campania that they believe is Carthaginian in nature.

AriesOpusX 10-19-2008 11:28 AM

Finishing up the Twilight series that I stole from my wife when she was done reading them. Although I shouldn't admit I've read these in front of men. :D

Cigargal 10-19-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriesOpusX (Post 20484)
Finishing up the Twilight series that I stole from my wife when she was done reading them. Although I shouldn't admit I've read these in front of men. :D

Meyers? Are they any good? I read The Host this summer-best book I read this year.

GhostRyder 10-19-2008 11:46 AM

Cryptonomicon. My second time through, I really enjoy this one. Next up is the 2nd half of T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Texan in Mexico 10-19-2008 11:52 AM

I am sure glad I stumbled onto the is thread!

I read alot and am happy to find a spot here where I can get some ideas for new books and share some of what I have read.

For our annual Convention for work I just finished the 360 Leader - it is a rehashing of the other 20+ business books about the same subject.

If you have not read any other business books it is a good read but extremely basic if you have :2.

AriesOpusX 10-19-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 20494)
Meyers? Are they any good? I read The Host this summer-best book I read this year.

Yep. It's an amazing series, one of the most engrossing books I've read in a while. Waiting for the movie to come out in November now. I haven't read The Host yet but I'll definitely have to tell the wife and pick it up.

Mustang1 10-20-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 15822)
I read one of his books-haunted, I think, about the writers locked up in an old theatre. It was twisted. Are all his books like that?

He writes some intense stuff, yeah, I guess you could call some of it twisted.

If you've seen Fight Club, read the book it's really good too. :bx

It's interesting how it adapted to film.