Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mikes Cigars loses Oliva. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10891)

rrplasencia 02-24-2009 12:08 PM

Mikes Cigars loses Oliva.

I searched forum but if this was posted already please close.

Oliva pulled Mike's Cigars account after two warnings to sell the Oliva lines closer to msrp. The third strike came when Oliva Sr. was looking through a mikes catalog and saw an Oliva sampler at half msrp. So they pulled the $500,000.00 account.

I can respect them looking out for local b&m's not being run out of business by the internet giants.

SixPackSunday 02-24-2009 12:15 PM

Re: Mikes Cigars loses Oliva.

thats awesome. can i give them RG?

borndead1 02-24-2009 12:18 PM

Wow. They ain't playin' around.

How does something like that work? Does Oliva pull all the stock that Mike's has or just stop selling to them?

Volt 02-24-2009 12:21 PM

Who is Mikes Cigars?

NCRadioMan 02-24-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 253791)
Wow. They ain't playin' around.

How does something like that work? Does Oliva pull all the stock that Mike's has or just stop selling to them?

Just stop selling to them. They can't pull stock that has already been paid for. As a retailer, you have to sign a contract saying you will not do this type thing or the account could be pulled. However, there are other distributors that you can get cigars from but it will cost a little bit more.

GrtndpwrflOZ 02-24-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixPackSunday (Post 253786)
thats awesome. can i give them RG?

Whom? Mike's Cigars or Oliva?

"THAT'S AWESOME" ????? Yeah, if you're a retailer.

If you could find smokes for close to 1/2 the MSRP wouldn't you think it's AWESOME?

Yazzie 02-24-2009 12:25 PM

Really, If I can get my V's at 1/2 price then that's a good deal for me. I'm not all that concerned with the B&M's

Stick 02-24-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 253796)
Who is Mikes Cigars?

www.mikescigars.com
Posted via Mobile Device

NCRadioMan 02-24-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazzie (Post 253806)
Really, If I can get my V's at 1/2 price then that's a good deal for me. I'm not all that concerned with the B&M's

That's very selfish of you.

I, for one, am glad this can happen because it helps protect my job.

doctorcue 02-24-2009 02:52 PM

I do think that manufacturers have the right to protect their brand. If one place sells WAY cheap it devalues their line. Also, I'm sure there was a contractual price when Mike's started carrying the Oliva line.

Chalk this up as a win for B&Ms everywhere. I don't mind paying more for smokes; this is a luxury. I don't NEED cigars; I choose to smoke them.

ucla695 02-24-2009 03:03 PM

The B&Ms got two warnings and should have known better, but it’s a loss for the consumer

Sauer Grapes 02-24-2009 03:09 PM

I don't see anything close to half msrp on their site... :confused:

Kreth 02-24-2009 03:29 PM

This is really similar to how the golf industry operates. Some of the big OEMs, like Ping, are notorious for using "secret shoppers" to check for accounts selling below MSRP.

calhounhusker 02-24-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 254157)
I don't see anything close to half msrp on their site... :confused:

I think he is talking about this..

https://www.mikescigars.com/ProductD...-SAMPLER/29260

Sauer Grapes 02-24-2009 04:44 PM

Now that makes more sense.

GWN 02-24-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcue (Post 254102)
I do think that manufacturers have the right to protect their brand. If one place sells WAY cheap it devalues their line. Also, I'm sure there was a contractual price when Mike's started carrying the Oliva line.

Chalk this up as a win for B&Ms everywhere. I don't mind paying more for smokes; this is a luxury. I don't NEED cigars; I choose to smoke them.

It's not unique to the cigar industry. Apple has always done this.

elderboy02 02-24-2009 09:43 PM

Very interesting :hm

pnoon 02-24-2009 09:44 PM

Nice review.

houdini 02-24-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calhounhusker (Post 254299)

Good deal too!

Silound 02-24-2009 10:43 PM

I'm of mixed opinions about this, mostly because I've only got a limited amount of information. As far as I can tell, that sampler is the only thing that's being sold so far below MSRP.

Any retail knowledgeable person will tell you that brand recognition is a major player in sales. Many retailers (whatever the product is) sell a certain item of a name brand as a "loss leader" to attract other sales. If I like the cigars in this sampler, I'm very apt to buy more of those cigars, probably at the full price. So it's very possible that MikesCigars was using that sampler to boost Oliva sales. Why they didn't simply make arrangement to do this with Oliva, I'm not sure.

I can also see Oliva's point of view trying to protect the brand, but there are other ways of getting around that problem, so I don't see why there's a need to pull the account. Raise your price to the supplier, and let them sell the item for no profit or a loss. Limit the available stock to them.

I'm wondering what other information we aren't privy to, because a half million dollar a year account is a LOT of money for a business to simply throw aside, even a multi-million dollar outfit like Oliva can't afford to go killing accounts left and right. "A penny here, nickle there, and soon you've lost a whole dollar" as the saying goes.