Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Give me your "How to Cut" method (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54671)

Tbagley 03-29-2012 05:21 PM

Give me your "How to Cut" method

I've had some cheap cutters, got around to getting an Xi8 sometime back and just recently purchased a Palio. So how do You cut your cigar using your preferred cutter?

bobarian 03-29-2012 05:43 PM

Re: Give me your "How to Cut" method

I use my Palio's almost exclusively. Put the cigar in the hole and squeeze. :sh

JenksAnejo 03-29-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Put the cigar in the hold and squeeze.
This.

oooo35980 03-29-2012 06:26 PM

Sometimes I use my cigar scissors, sometimes a cutter, I have been known to cut a hole in the cap with a pocket knife, same theory as a punch but a bit more effort. Just keep in mind not to cut past the cap so the wrapper unwravels, other than that there isn't much to it.

irratebass 03-29-2012 06:31 PM

This video is the best one out there imo

http://cigarobsession.com/2011/03/10...smoke-a-cigar/

Bill86 03-29-2012 06:46 PM

Xikar MTX Scissors or Xikar Punch. Pretty self explanatory after that.

Pseudosacred 03-29-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1603547)
This video is the best one out there imo

http://cigarobsession.com/2011/03/10...smoke-a-cigar/

That's the video I watched when I first started. It was very helpful. Although, there is something about that guy that annoys me...I can't put my finger on it, though...

gbum 03-29-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosacred (Post 1603611)
That's the video I watched when I first started. It was very helpful. Although, there is something about that guy that annoys me...I can't put my finger on it, though...

talk to him,
hes a member here :D

ApexAZ 03-29-2012 08:23 PM

I cut mine with a machete, like a real man.

ApexAZ 03-29-2012 08:37 PM

Seriously though, there's some good info here.

PuffPuffGive1 03-29-2012 08:47 PM

Bite off the crown and spit it at the nearest wench I see...other than that, I have a Cuban Crafters perfect cutter that always takes off the top cap.

maverickdrinker 03-29-2012 09:13 PM

I try to use a punch foe everything. Smaller ring gauge and piramides get cut by my palio

RGD. 03-29-2012 10:07 PM

An old post that I made a few years ago:

Cigar Cutting 101 - In Pictures -

Ron

icehog3 03-30-2012 01:00 AM

Palio...I try to shave off the wrapper head without any other tobacco being cut. I am usually pretty close when not perfect.

BHalbrooks 03-30-2012 02:23 AM

Tom... what?

Smokin Gator 03-30-2012 04:48 AM

My preferred way is to run my pocket knife around the cap and then lift it off.

Taki 03-30-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffPuffGive1 (Post 1603638)
Bite off the crown and spit it at the nearest wench I see...other than that, I have a Cuban Crafters perfect cutter that always takes off the top cap.

:lr

I tend to just use Shanes (aka Blak Smyth's) Palio :r Works great!!! :tu
If hes not around, I use my Monte...works every time (getting dull though)

MrClean 03-30-2012 06:02 AM

I didn't look at the video links (stupid slow connection) so they may have covered this way of doing it.
When I first started, I would lay the cutter on a table, put the cigar in it to cut, takes off the perfect amount most times. For me it was a good way to learn exactly how much to take off.

OLS 03-30-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1603763)
Palio...I try to shave off the wrapper head without any other tobacco being cut. I am usually pretty close when not perfect.

For havanas, this works exceptionally well, I find. Other countries, not so well.

By the way, OP, YOU DO know there were other user names available at the time you joined, right?? :r

OLS 03-30-2012 06:49 AM

That video that was linked hits a very good point that I am sure not a lot of people starting out know.
The 'flavor' in the smoke is not what is created by combustion. Combustion just makes smoke and very
little flavor is created that way. The flavor comes as the warm smoke passes through and around the
leaves of the bunch and oils are vaporized and some kind of fairy-magic osmosis occurs. The flavors
come mostly from the un-burned tobacco and are merely carried by the smoke to your mouth. That is
why smoking slowly and deliberately is so important. Partly because of the heating up of the entire item,
which is bad, but also because you lessen the time the smoke has to interact with the leaves. This is
also why people recommend the slowest puff rate you can manage and still keep the cigar lit and going.

It's just like the gas pump. There is still gas in the hose when the pump shuts off that never makes it
to your car. You paid for it but did not get it. Luckily, YOU DID get the gas that the LAST guy pumped
into the hose and paid for. So it works out. That smoke remains in the cigar until your next puff and mingles
with the leaves for 30 secs to a minute, picking up flavor. Your puffing draws THAT smoke into your mouth
and delivers flavor while it also loads the cigar with a little smoke that you will enjoy on the next puff.

Wo-ho, blog entry.....