Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Off-gassing (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52594)

Bageland2000 01-12-2012 09:42 PM

Off-gassing

A guy at a cigar store in Long Grove, IL today showed me a pretty amazing trick. Have any of you heard of off-gassing? Apparently when cigars age (especially when they're full bodied) they give off ammonia gas. Ammonia tastes bitter when ignited and can ruin cigars. Here's what he had me do.

1. Light the cigar as normal
2. Smoke about 1/4 inch
3. Round off the ash in the ashtray.
4. Place the cigar in your mouth at a 45 degree angle above perpendicular to the floor.
5. As you blow very hard through the cigar, hold a soft flame at the end of the cigar.

The flame ignited the ammonia, and after the flame was removed (as I continued to blow through the cigar) there was a blue flame like the end of the cigar was a torch lighter! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I repeated after rotated the cigar, then waited about 30 seconds. The flavor profile was improved like 5 times! All bitterness was gone. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's heard of this!?:confused:

CigarSquid 01-12-2012 09:49 PM

Re: Off-gassing

I have heard of purging, but not lighting the purge.

Bill86 01-12-2012 09:50 PM

Yeah people call it fire purging or flame purging or something like that.

colinb913 01-12-2012 09:51 PM

Basically all you did was a purge with lighting the purged gases a flame. Thats how I do it, just because I think it looks cool. :P

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-12-2012 09:53 PM

I think pnoon knows something about this gassing...:r

CigarSquid 01-12-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinb913 (Post 1528851)
Basically all you did was a purge with lighting the purged gases a flame. Thats how I do it, just because I think it looks cool. :P

I will try it next time I smoke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 1528854)

Glad I only see him over the comp:r

Bageland2000 01-12-2012 10:01 PM

I was under the impression that a purge was a quick blow through the cigar. Didn't realize that it took a good ten seconds to get all the ammonia out (proven be the fact that the flame was there for that long) I mean it REALLY changed the way the smoke tasted.

Quote:

I'll bet he doesn't light them:r

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-12-2012 10:05 PM

I want to apologize in advance to Peter, it was a "rude and unattractive" thing for me to say about him:r:r:r

RevSmoke 01-12-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

I'm sure he isn't the only one here who knows about gassing.

Right MJ? :r

Ismith75 01-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageland2000 (Post 1528840)
A guy at a cigar store in Long Grove, IL today showed me a pretty amazing trick. Have any of you heard of off-gassing? Apparently when cigars age (especially when they're full bodied) they give off ammonia gas. Ammonia tastes bitter when ignited and can ruin cigars. Here's what he had me do.

1. Light the cigar as normal
2. Smoke about 1/4 inch
3. Round off the ash in the ashtray.
4. Place the cigar in your mouth at a 45 degree angle above perpendicular to the floor.
5. As you blow very hard through the cigar, hold a soft flame at the end of the cigar.

The flame ignited the ammonia, and after the flame was removed (as I continued to blow through the cigar) there was a blue flame like the end of the cigar was a torch lighter! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I repeated after rotated the cigar, then waited about 30 seconds. The flavor profile was improved like 5 times! All bitterness was gone. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's heard of this!?:confused:

I'm at that shop all the time. We'll have to meet for a smoke.

RevSmoke 01-12-2012 10:09 PM

Flame purging (as I call it) can be done anytime in the smoking of a cigar. If it get bitter, blow through the lit cigar for a complete breath, 30-90 seconds.

Then, using a flame (preferably a soft flame - that's a yellow flame -vs- a torch, blue flame) held up to the foot, blow through the cigar. This will "purge" the amonia and other things causing bitterness, burning the off is the purge process.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

44stampede 01-12-2012 10:15 PM

This is super cool. The things you learn...

crazyirishman 01-12-2012 10:15 PM

I had no idea about any of this "nonsense".

I mean I purge every so often when I smoke by blowing for about 10 seconds or or so, but I had no idea that it took 6 to 9 times that to get it out.

Question: Is holding a flame to the purge merely for theatrical purposes?

Carrying two lighters with me (torch and soft flame) while standing in a river while my other hand holds a fly rod might be a little difficult...

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-12-2012 10:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZi2ZlHbMGs :r

Sorry for the thread jack, back on topic:tu

coty 01-12-2012 10:47 PM

I hate to be the only one who is like wow thats freggin amazing but WOW THATS FREGGIN AMAZING. Here I have been waiting for the celo to yellow out before I smoked a cigar to get the ammonia out of it. The taste is crazy better!

Savor the Stick 01-12-2012 10:59 PM

I do the flame purge, and continue until the flame cannot be sustained; then I know all of the unburned, nastiness is out of the cigar.---Usually about twice in a toro sized cigar.
I do this when the taste of the cigar gets off, or bitter. Also maduro's tend to need this more. and helps to correct burn issues as well.

Volusianator 01-12-2012 11:37 PM

If a cigar is smoked at a proper pace, very rarely will it ever need to be purged. Doing is just cause it "looks cool" shows your immaturity in cigars.

Bageland2000 01-13-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44stampede (Post 1528884)
This is super cool. The things you learn...

glad I could bring this to the light of day for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyirishman (Post 1528887)
I had no idea about any of this "nonsense".

I mean I purge every so often when I smoke by blowing for about 10 seconds or or so, but I had no idea that it took 6 to 9 times that to get it out.

Question: Is holding a flame to the purge merely for theatrical purposes?

Carrying two lighters with me (torch and soft flame) while standing in a river while my other hand holds a fly rod might be a little difficult...

that's the exact question I asked the guy at the shop. he said that the flame does draw out the ammonia. either way it looks cool :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by coty (Post 1528930)
I hate to be the only one who is like wow thats freggin amazing but WOW THATS FREGGIN AMAZING. Here I have been waiting for the celo to yellow out before I smoked a cigar to get the ammonia out of it. The taste is crazy better!

literally my thoughts exactly. I was amazed at how much the flavor changed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volusianator (Post 1528977)
If a cigar is smoked at a proper pace, very rarely will it ever need to be purged. Doing is just cause it "looks cool" shows your immaturity in cigars.

haters gotta hate

Dr Voss 01-13-2012 12:39 AM

Awesome, I just learned my new thing of the day. I knew there was a reason I was spending so much time around here.

I apologize up front if my immaturity is offensive to anyone, but :fu :noon :fu

44stampede 01-13-2012 01:43 AM

Parlour trick or not, I'm trying it. Not necessarily the lighting part but if I can purge to help the taste then why not?