Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The West Coast Beer Thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6223)

bigliver 12-12-2008 05:51 PM

The West Coast Beer Thread

Dedicated to the fine West Coast breweries.

I just finished a few Red Rocket Ales and have moved on to some Speakeasy Pale Ales.

What do you like? Everything from Red Hook to Stone, from Seattle to San Diego and beyond.

What do you like?

JohnnyFlake 12-12-2008 06:42 PM

Re: The West Coast Beer Thread

I am not really into beers that much, however, my favorite West Coast Beers, when I do get the urge, are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Full Sail Amber Ale!

jquirit 12-12-2008 07:32 PM

I am partial to the micros out of Portland and the surrounding area. Places like Roots (100% organic and 110% tasty!) and Rouge (Hazelnut Brown Nectar is outstanding). Though, I have been known to imbibe a few stouts from Lagunitas in California. They do make a quite tasty stout.

Bruzee 12-12-2008 08:16 PM

I love Sierra Nevada, Red Hood and Red Tail..... I also love the brews from Sequoia Brewing Co.... They have a really good IPA.

bigliver 12-12-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquirit (Post 116416)
I am partial to the micros out of Portland and the surrounding area. Places like Roots (100% organic and 110% tasty!) and Rouge (Hazelnut Brown Nectar is outstanding). Though, I have been known to imbibe a few stouts from Lagunitas in California. They do make a quite tasty stout.

I have never had anthing from Roots. Howevewr, I do enjoy Rogue. I was in Seattle, Issaquah rather, for the new re-release of their Yellow Snow Ale. A little different than previously, but good nonetheless.

Lagunitas is another sleeper that is overlooked. Their Imperial Red Ale out this season is very tasty, although I found the carbonation a bit lacking.

Jason

bigliver 12-12-2008 08:29 PM

My first experience with Green Flash Brewing Company. I'm enjoying their West Coast IPA. It's not as "hoppy" as most IPA's I've had, but it's very drinkable. The malt is definately prevalent on the front, but the backside is definately hoptastic. It's a nice balance between a pale ale and a CA IPA, not Stone, but not water either.

jquirit 12-12-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigliver (Post 116554)
I have never had anthing from Roots. Howevewr, I do enjoy Rogue. I was in Seattle, Issaquah rather, for the new re-release of their Yellow Snow Ale. A little different than previously, but good nonetheless.

Roots is a really small place as they haven't seen widespread distribution yet. Last time I talked to the owner he was actually getting to put his brew in one of the taps at the Rose Garden.

http://www.rootsorganicbrewing.com/

What I need to do is go back to Roots so I can try their seasonal: EPIC ALE (yes, that is the way it's spelt). 14% ABV and only sold in 10 oz glasses. Woo!

Never tried Rogue's Yellow Snow before. Will have to keep an eye out for it the next time I'm shopping.

bigliver 12-12-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquirit (Post 116580)
Never tried Rogue's Yellow Snow before. Will have to keep an eye out for it the next time I'm shopping.

I haven't found it here either, but I'm hoping it will be available to the public soon.

jason

Skywalker 12-15-2008 02:38 PM

Sierra Nevada and Lost Coast!!!

bobarian 12-15-2008 03:04 PM

The original, Anchor Steam Brewing Co!:dance:

bigliver 12-25-2008 09:01 PM

I've been enjoying more than a good portion of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale throughout the day and I have come to the conclusion that it's a bit more harsh than last year's iteration. I'm not saying it's not good; the several empties sitting outside testifies to that. This is the one seasonal brew I really look forward to every year, but I'm not completely satisfied with their release this year. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Darrell 12-25-2008 09:13 PM

I enjoy anything from Rogue or Stone. :dr

Skywalker 12-25-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigliver (Post 135628)
I've been enjoying more than a good portion of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale throughout the day and I have come to the conclusion that it's a bit more harsh than last year's iteration. I'm not saying it's not good; the several empties sitting outside testifies to that. This is the one seasonal brew I really look forward to every year, but I'm not completely satisfied with their release this year. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

I'm with you on this!!! I have been enjoying the Harvest Ale much more!!!

theonlybear4CORT 12-26-2008 10:36 AM

bear republic http://www.bearrepublic.com/

BHowe 12-26-2008 10:40 AM

Eel River makes some great stuff!

icehog3 12-26-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 120815)
The original, Anchor Steam Brewing Co!:dance:

Gotta agree, I love their Porter, especially when I can find it on tap. :dr:al

bigliver 12-26-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_mike (Post 136032)

Their Red Rocket Ale is my other favorite beers along with North Coast Brewing Red Seal Ale.

mooremedic 12-26-2008 11:56 AM

Also try Pryamid Snow Cap Ale....nice winter ale....

BengalMan 12-26-2008 01:53 PM

I just returned from Hawaii and drank a ton of Hawaii micro's, the best came from the Maui Brewing Company. Their Bikini Blonde and their Coconut Stout were both AMAZING.

bigliver 12-29-2008 08:53 PM

Picked up a six pack of Anchor Steam Summer Ale from the BevMo up the road today. I know it's December, but I needed a break from all the heavy winter brews. This beer really gets better after sitting for a few months, and it's been a very nice change in course.