Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Reliable Torch Lighter? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50566)

jakesmokes 10-31-2011 02:38 PM

Reliable Torch Lighter?

Can anyone point me to a torch lighter that can handle daily use for more than, say, a month, without breaking down?

I have tried a bunch of different ones. The best I have run across so far is the coleman tank (camping) lighter. But even it doesn't perform well after 3 or 4 weeks.

Sorry if this has been asked a lot. I searched on "best torch lighter" and came up.. empty. No pun intended :-)

David

MurphysLaw 10-31-2011 02:44 PM

Re: Reliable Torch Lighter?

Try Xikar, never had an issue with any of mine, and the lifetime warranty is there in case there is a problem

Blak Smyth 10-31-2011 02:46 PM

What fuel are you using?
When I used cheap fuel I ran into issues often, after switching to good fuel I seldom ever have an issue with any of my lighters!

T.G 10-31-2011 02:46 PM

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-130...lear-tank-1455
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact...t-lighter-4179

Or the Blazer PB207

chippewastud79 10-31-2011 02:49 PM

Colibri and Xikar lighters have never been bad by me. Got them all for less than $15 on cigarbid.com some time ago and all have worked everytime. I don't purge, empty or clean them ever, but they all seem to work when filled with Vector Quintuple Filtered Fuel. :tu

deadrise 10-31-2011 03:01 PM

fuel makes the difference when I used ronson fuel it would act clogged up all the time

pektel 10-31-2011 03:12 PM

I like my Ronson jetlite. No issues, and $4 at walmart.

kelmac07 10-31-2011 03:29 PM

Kind of partial to my Blazer Little Buddy and the new Xikar Tech Lighter.

Devanmc 10-31-2011 03:30 PM

it might not fit under "reliable" but the Roson's if you can find them are at a throw away price at wal-mart

IndyRob 10-31-2011 04:00 PM

What fuel do you all use with your PB207? I used whatever I got from walmart, and I a hard time getting it lit these days.

kelmac07 10-31-2011 04:02 PM

Always use Vector. :tu

LigaPrivadaT84 10-31-2011 04:39 PM

Another vote to get yourself a Ronson Jetlite filled with Vector Quintuplus. :tu

longknocker 10-31-2011 04:41 PM

Vector 5X For All My Lighters.:tu

pektel 10-31-2011 08:58 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

deadrise 10-31-2011 09:03 PM

yea vector 5x here too but some lighters still need to be open full blast every now and then and cleaned out

MrClean 10-31-2011 11:32 PM

My Xikar and Ronson Jet have both been good so far, as long as good fuel is used, I think they will never let me down.

darkninja67 11-01-2011 06:04 AM

Had a bad experience with a Xikar so they are a no go for me. Previously used Lotus lighters and now on a very good Visol. Use Vector fuel as well with no issues at all.

chaase321 11-01-2011 06:17 AM

I use a Xikar Executive...it was around $30 when i got it, but I am sure you can get it a little cheaper...Also use Xikar butane. The lighter is great and the only issue I have with it is that it seems to go through butane quickly.

CigarNut 11-01-2011 08:15 AM

I have found that the Blazer is the most reliable lighter I have owned, but as others have said the fuel makes the most difference inhow well your lighter will hold up under use.

irratebass 11-01-2011 09:02 AM

I can't find a dual flame (which do you guys prefer dual or single flame?) Xikar for under $50!!!

Silound 11-02-2011 02:07 PM

You can pick up a Xikar Element double torch for around $45 on Amazon. Personally, I love this lighter. Mine has proven to be durable as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Xikar-XIKAR-El.../dp/B000JEOHZ6

I also own two Vector Urbano lighters that I carry around as my "day-to-day" these days. Well sized and they hold a decent amount of fuel, they're a cheap triple torch. The only downside is the lid doesn't hinge as far away as I'd like, but I can live with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Urbano-.../dp/B002WDDXQ6

irratebass 11-02-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silound (Post 1461394)
You can pick up a Xikar Element double torch for around $45 on Amazon. Personally, I love this lighter. Mine has proven to be durable as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Xikar-XIKAR-El.../dp/B000JEOHZ6

I also own two Vector Urbano lighters that I carry around as my "day-to-day" these days. Well sized and they hold a decent amount of fuel, they're a cheap triple torch. The only downside is the lid doesn't hinge as far away as I'd like, but I can live with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Urbano-.../dp/B002WDDXQ6

Thanks for the links, this is what I am looking for, maybe I am being too greedy for trying to find it cheaper:
http://xikar.com/products/lighters/crossover/

mithrilG60 11-02-2011 02:47 PM

Personally I love my EverTorch and as a side benefit it's sold by a brother on this site ;)

ApexAZ 11-02-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1458939)
What fuel are you using?
When I used cheap fuel I ran into issues often, after switching to good fuel I seldom ever have an issue with any of my lighters!

What constitutes 'good' fuel, if you don't mind? I've been using Xikar, but wondering if I could go to some other form of butane that isn't as expensive.

irratebass 11-02-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithrilG60 (Post 1461444)
Personally I love my EverTorch and as a side benefit it's sold by a brother on this site ;)

These are nice Geoff...I don't see a price though, I'm thinking I am missing something though. :sh

Boz 11-02-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1461455)
These are nice Geoff...I don't see a price though, I'm thinking I am missing something though. :sh

$59 shipped http://www.stogietorch.com/Ever%20Torch%20models.html under "Browse the models to find the right one for you."

CigarNut 11-02-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1461447)
What constitutes 'good' fuel, if you don't mind? I've been using Xikar, but wondering if I could go to some other form of butane that isn't as expensive.

Xikar is good. Basically, you want a fuel that is heavily refined (purified). Vector is also very good. The good fuels are refined at least 5 ("quintuple") times.

I heard that Lava is very good and am trying that out -- so far so good (even better than Vector). It takes time to find out if a fuel is good or not -- the goal is to find a good enough fuel so that the lighter's jets do not get clogged over time.

Benwoo 11-02-2011 03:34 PM

Granted my torch lighters were all kit/freebie deals, but the only 100% reliable lighter I have is my mini table top crack torch marketed in supermarkets as a creme brulee torch. This is mine here
It works great for stogies, and other herbs, and some quick welding or soldering if need be. Not terribly portable though ;-)

Devanmc 11-02-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LigaPrivadaT84 (Post 1459077)
Another vote to get yourself a Ronson Jetlite filled with Vector Quintuplus. :tu

i just use zippo butane in mine. no need to use high end butane in a 4 dollar lighter. if it clogs i throw it out.

chippewastud79 11-02-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1459887)
I can't find a dual flame (which do you guys prefer dual or single flame?) Xikar for under $50!!!

Cigarbid, particularly check the combo packs with 5-packs and lighters or the special deals. :tu

falconman515 11-04-2011 02:55 AM

You can't beat a Ronson Jetline in my opinion!

audio1der 11-04-2011 12:14 PM

Blazer all the way.

camiller 11-04-2011 04:07 PM

I use a ronson when away from the house and one of these when at home.

Bill86 11-04-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 (Post 1459691)
Had a bad experience with a Xikar so they are a no go for me. Previously used Lotus lighters and now on a very good Visol. Use Vector fuel as well with no issues at all.

Same here, they suck with their lighter warranties. Cutters are great....lighters, I wouldn't bother.

I returned a lighter 3 times and still not happy with it. I gave up. Costing me more to keep sending it in.

ntempleton 11-04-2011 11:46 PM

I had a pb207 for 5 or 6 years. I recently replaced it with the Blazer Little Buddy. It worked for about a month before it died. When I had the shop I bought it from send it in for repair Blazer told them they were considering dumping the lifetime warranty and replacing it with a 2 year plus a $25 repair fee but they would "do me a favor" and replace it for free. I'm done with Blazer. My next lighter will be a Xikar Tech.

irratebass 11-05-2011 05:09 AM

I picked up this baby for $1o the other night, so far I like it.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...-01-29_499.jpg

kingcobradude 11-13-2011 02:02 PM

that butane torch from harbor freight or a propane torch. thats all I have found to be reliable

BC-Axeman 11-13-2011 02:08 PM

Add another vote to fuel being the chief reliability factor.

scottdurand 11-27-2011 03:06 AM

I own a number of lighters simply from having money to burn and boredom and must say none are as reliable than my Xikar Element. The Blazer is a sure bet also.

irratebass 11-27-2011 08:53 AM

I bought a new one on Friday, and this may be my last lighter purchase.
No pic yet, but I found this image on the net, it fits my entire hand, lighter is huge and only $25!
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/fashionpl...em_0032_s1.jpg

BC-Axeman 11-27-2011 09:08 AM

I just had my first jetlite die. The sparker failed. The flame is still good if I light it with another lighter.

shopkins82 03-27-2012 07:45 AM

I picked up one of the Brown Leather Ave Maria branded LOTUS Laser torches (same as the black leather CI branded one) on Cigar Bid to fill out an order. So far I'm not overly impressed. The flame height is about that of an unregulated (i.e. brass restrictor shim removed) Ronson Jetlite, but it mis-fires about 25% of the time. With the flame adjusted all the way up, it often fires w/ butane from only about 3/4 of the nozzle. To get a consistent flame I have to back off to about 85% of max on the dial.

In terms of build quality, the leather inlay is nice but the metal portions are clear-coated (likely mild steel) and not bare brushed stainless as they appear in the picture. Also, the single-action cover has a bit of play and doesn't align 100% flush. I have a feeling LOTUS makes this model only for OEM branding and it wouldn't be up to snuff as part of their regular line. For the $10 I paid (often available on CB for only $7) it's not the worst money I've ever spent, but I wouldn't pay $13-$16 shipped, and surely not $25-$30 from CI, for this lighter on its own.

NeuRon 03-27-2012 07:47 AM

Xikar Plunge and Vector 5x gets ALOT of use. never any problems
or my ST Dupont X-Tend and Vector5x on weekends. ol reliable!

shopkins82 03-28-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopkins82 (Post 1601233)
I picked up one of the Brown Leather Ave Maria branded LOTUS Laser torches (same as the black leather CI branded one) on Cigar Bid to fill out an order. So far I'm not overly impressed.

I'll withdraw my previous statement about being unsatisfied with the branded Lotus Laser... at least in terms of reliability. I did my first few fills with Ronson fuel because I had some on hand and thought it wouldn't have much effect unless I kept using it long term. Today I was in a low-end tobacco shop (90% cigarettes, pipe, and smokeless) and they had an inexpensive 5x filtered fuel brand called FasFil for $4 for a 300ml can. I picked a can up along with a Villager Sumatra for after lunch.

I purged the Lotus, refilled with the new fuel, purged again (to flush out any remaining Ronson residue), refilled again, blasted some in the nozle (to dislodge any gunk/residue there), ate lunch (giving time to let the fuel/nozle warm), and now the Lotus lights 100% reliably with a fully formed flame, no sputter, and even seems to burn a little hotter. Now my only real complaints are the excess play in the single-action cover and the clear-coated mild steel instead of true brushed stainless.

BC-Axeman 03-28-2012 03:57 PM

I have some Ronson fuel that I think is inflammable. I am tempted to puncture it and throw it on a bonfire to test this theory. Maybe it just doesn't work in torch lighters.

Boz 03-28-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1602489)
I have some Ronson fuel that I think is inflammable. I am tempted to puncture it and throw it on a bonfire to test this theory. Maybe it just doesn't work in torch lighters.

Make sure theres plenty of video when you do :r

ApexAZ 03-28-2012 04:27 PM

Bought 3. Thanks, Adam!

BC-Axeman 03-28-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boz (Post 1602498)
Make sure theres plenty of video when you do :r

Soon to be viral.

T.G 03-28-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1602489)

No need to puncture the can, the valves are plastic, they melt. :)

BC-Axeman 03-28-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1602555)
No need to puncture the can, the valves are plastic, they melt. :)

;) Heh, heh.