Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8853)

KidRock 01-26-2009 05:42 PM

Re: Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChINaMaN1472 (Post 193432)
I'm with the rest of the logical people in here.
You've already spent plenty of money on the cigars, what's another $20 bucks for beads to keep your cigars properly humidified?

It's like buying a Ferrari then asking around for the cheapest oil and tire change shop.

Off the record....Oil change in the new ferrari is 450 dollars. The point goes to show...If you have 150 cigars and there at least lets say 10 dollars each thats 1500 dollars worth of smokes. You would want the best.

Do you put a 12 pack of bud in the trunk during August and open one up 3 weeks later? No, because it will taste like pee.

Sauer Grapes 01-26-2009 06:07 PM

Oddly enough, a 12 pack of Bud tastes like pee without sitting in the trunk.

AD720 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

I actually tired using the Kitty Litter silica beads in my cooler a while ago. I put them in and the humidity jumped up to over 80% in a matter of minutes. Just not enough control IMHO.

Les Nessman 01-26-2009 06:15 PM

I recently made the switch to heartfelt beads and have no regrets. To help keep costs down I purchased a half pound of beads for $18 + shipping and made up my own containers for them. Used an old humigel jar, modified the old humidity device (with the foam) that came with the humi and poked holes in couple of mini mm candy canisters to hold the beads. I lose points for looks, but I am holding steady at 65%.

md4958 01-26-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nessman (Post 193593)
I recently made the switch to heartfelt beads and have no regrets. To help keep costs down I purchased a half pound of beads for $18 + shipping and made up my own containers for them. Used an old humigel jar, modified the old humidity device (with the foam) that came with the humi and poked holes in couple of mini mm candy canisters to hold the beads. I lose points for looks, but I am holding steady at 65%.

and old set of pantyhose would also make a nice bag allowing plenty of surface area

MedicCook 01-26-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 193598)
and old set of pantyhose would also make a nice bag allowing plenty of surface area

For ease of use, have your wife/gf take them off first.

markem 01-26-2009 06:35 PM

Someone will possibly chime in with the brand, but there is one kitty litter that has roughly the same properties as beads. That is, it gives up moisture below about 65% RH and absorbs above that. Can't recall if it was here or at another site that the posting was made, but it was made within the last 6 or so months.

I've always used Heartfelt beads. Scott's beads have the same high respect as the one's from Heartfelt. I have 8 lbs of the heartfelt in 4 large storage units (2 vinos, 2 100 qt coolers) and one 1 oz tube in my 150 count Savoy humidor (new addition and the difference is amazing).

The funny thing is that I've always considered beads to be a cheap and safe alternative to other humidification devices, but everyone has their threshold, especially in a down economy.

It would be cool if the litter info gets posted and you are able to run some tests with it. For "humidify and forget" however, beads are my personal choice.

chippewastud79 01-26-2009 06:55 PM

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Get yourself some real HCM or rH beads :2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 193561)
Oddly enough, a 12 pack of Bud tastes like pee without sitting in the trunk.

:tpd::D

Tio Gato 01-27-2009 03:50 AM

If you feel that beads are too expensive, take a look at Humi-Care jars that are sold on C-Bid for a good price. I've had great results with these jars, especially in my tupperdores. Water Pillows may work for you too.
Good Luck.

SeanGAR 01-27-2009 08:01 AM

Pretty much anything will absorb and release water, as will kitty litter and that old wool sweater you received for Christmas in 1986. The key is getting something with enough moisture absorptive capacity so you don't need to recharge once a day and the proper hysteresis curve so you maintain the humidity you seek. I use and recommend beads, the humi care jars get moldy on me after a few months unless I spike them with benzoate or something.

Thrak 01-27-2009 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys... I got some more drimystat sticks.

Put them on the credit card though. :-/

yitlin 01-27-2009 10:37 AM

If you've never had a DPG Blue label that tasted like Fresh Step, then you've never truly lived.

shilala 01-27-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 194955)
Pretty much anything will absorb and release water, as will kitty litter and that old wool sweater you received for Christmas in 1986. The key is getting something with enough moisture absorptive capacity so you don't need to recharge once a day and the proper hysteresis curve so you maintain the humidity you seek. I use and recommend beads, the humi care jars get moldy on me after a few months unless I spike them with benzoate or something.

I have no idea why that made me laugh, but you got me. :D
I think it's cause when you said kitty litter I thought of my cat's litter box.
He ain't much of a house cleaner.

tobii3 01-27-2009 11:12 AM

:lv

I guess I've just been around way too long.....

I still use a chunk of PG soaked oasis foam in a small tub in my cooler-dor....been doing that for many years now

bobarian 01-27-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 195501)
:lv

I guess I've just been around way too long.....

I still use a chunk of PG soaked oasis foam in a small tub in my cooler-dor....been doing that for many years now

Nothing wrong with PG, as you said its been used for years without problems. But some say they notice a slight taste difference. I suspect that is because their singles may be directly exposed rather than in boxes.

The thing with PG is that is regulates at 70%, many find their smokes to be tight or have irregular burns at 70%. I try to keep my sticks between 62-65%. :2

fuubar 01-29-2009 05:01 PM

I vote for buying sticks off the internet if humidity starts to drop. My vino has been in the range of 60-65 for the last 8 months. I even had to open the door for a couple hours to get it down.

Oh and get beads as a backup. My solution only works until you run out of money or space.

maddman 01-30-2009 01:08 PM

If their is a craft store by you go their and get poly gel for crafts, they come in a small bag used in pots to put fake flowers in. I have used them before getting the RH beads, they work alright and i still use them in a small humidor.

O and they only cost a few bucks

md4958 01-30-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 195282)
Thanks for the info guys... I got some more drimystat sticks.

Put them on the credit card though. :-/

Thrak, do you mind me asking how much you paid for your drimystat sticks?

karmaz00 01-30-2009 01:33 PM

go to michaels, and get some water jewels, or cracked ice....there used for floral arrangements.....they work great.

doctorcue 01-30-2009 05:38 PM

I say Heartfelt. Been around the longest (I think; don't kill me if wrong) and I have yet to hear of any major probs. Not dissing Mark or Shilala; just my personal experience.

Yitlin... that cracked me up! :r