Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   True Blood (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2273)

PeteSB75 10-23-2008 09:33 PM

True Blood

Been watching this show. Very strange. Interesting, but definitely unusual. Certainly not a typical vampire show, but I expect no less from Alan Ball. Very interesting relationships between the characters. Got to wonder where they are going with Sookie's ability. I'm one episode back, so just saw Bill turned in flashback. Wonder how long or if we will see him turn Sookie.

TriStar 10-23-2008 10:01 PM

Re: True Blood

I love this show. I make sure to free up my sunday night to catch it. Best part is Dexter is on right after this :D

Comicbookfreak 10-23-2008 10:24 PM

Great episonde last week. We learned more about Sookie and saw Sam running naked in a field(obviously after shapechanging). Tara's mom had her exorcism and Tara found out she had a demon also. Plus the new vamps in town are assumed to have burned up in the fire.

Love this show and can't wait til this week's episode.

icehog3 10-24-2008 12:17 AM

Loving this show, I wasn't sure about it after the first few episodes, but I am definitely hooked now.

Lucky_Hippo 10-24-2008 06:03 AM

I'm really digging this series. It's always interesting to see the different rules set up for vamps in each series. The true blood (beer) is a neat twist, as well as the non-threat for crosses, holy water, or garlic, however silver has a main role. The first time I think I ever saw silver having an affect on vampires was Blade.

Plus I dig Sookie's uniform.:ss

kayaker 10-24-2008 06:13 AM

Haven't seen the show yet. Is this show based on a book? My wife may have picked it up.

We used to watch Blood Ties, and wifey is reading those books.

Right now we are watching the 2nd season of Supernatural.

skibumdc 10-24-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 32131)
Haven't seen the show yet. Is this show based on a book? My wife may have picked it up.

We used to watch Blood Ties, and wifey is reading those books.

Right now we are watching the 2nd season of Supernatural.

Yes, it is based on a series of eight books written by New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris that were first published in 2001 called
The Southern Vampire Mysteries.
In the Intro to the show at the very end it mentions it.

spectrrr 10-24-2008 06:35 AM

I got these saved up on tivo, gotta get around to checking out the series soon....

Neuromancer 10-24-2008 08:46 PM

It gets better every episode...:tu

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 03:59 AM

Tought this weeks episode was pretty good. They should start to show more of Eric now in the show. Also curious to see what happens to Tara.

This show does seem to get better each week. Let's just hope that HBO doesn't cancel another good show as they has done in the past.

icehog3 10-27-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comicbookfreak (Post 36799)
Tought this weeks episode was pretty good. They should start to show more of Eric now in the show. Also curious to see what happens to Tara.

This show does seem to get better each week. Let's just hope that HBO doesn't cancel another good show as they has done in the past.

That's my fear, Brent, that the season finale leaves us with a bunch of questions and cliffhangers that never get answered. See "Deadwood" amd "John From Cincinnati".

Pyrokin 10-27-2008 09:20 PM

I'm loving this too, I watch true blood and dexter every sunday and both of the latest episodes have been great. I can't wait to see if someone turns into a vampire hunter which seems to be really suggested in the first couple episodes. I missed the streaking though I think my tivo didn't record that part, maybe it was at the beginning =\

icehog3 10-27-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrokin (Post 38519)
I'm loving this too, I watch true blood and dexter every sunday and both of the latest episodes have been great. I can't wait to see if someone turns into a vampire hunter which seems to be really suggested in the first couple episodes. I missed the streaking though I think my tivo didn't record that part, maybe it was at the beginning =\

You didn't miss much, 2 second glimpse of Sam from a distance. Funny how he denied it to the soldier, but admitted it to Andy.

JKim 10-27-2008 09:39 PM

I got hooked on this show last week. Caught the first 7 episodes on On Demand. I'm a little thrown off though on how they make vampires.

Sooki is immune to becoming a Vampire after drinking Bill's Blood that healed her. People are getting high with superhuman senses after a few drops of V blood.

But then in the flashback, it shows Bill becoming a Vampire after drinking Vampire Blood. Do Vampires now decide if their blood makes another person a Vampire or not?

PeteSB75 10-27-2008 09:52 PM

From the teaser for next week, I think we get to find out for real. My suspicion is that Sookie didn't turn despite her blood loss initially, but was instead healed because her loss was not due to the vampire. Maybe the vamp has to actually feed on the human, before passing the blood back. It's also possible she was not yet close enough to death to actually change. The specifics of that seem to change with each vampire mythology.

As far as Sam running through the field naked, I really have to wonder what's going on there. Not sure if I buy him shapechanging. What, is he a werewolf? There were a few shots of the moon in the last couple of episodes, but there's been no mention of any parallel other species, other than the "Demon" from Tara's Mom and now, I guess, Tara. That would certainly account for his standoffish nature. That would also explain why Sookie can read him, but he's different from anyone else she knows, other than the vamps.

icehog3 10-27-2008 09:54 PM

If the series is following the book series, we will find out that Sam is in fact a shapechanger.

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 11:06 PM

Shapechangers do not have to be Were-Creatures in this storyline. But there are were-tigers and such in this Universe. Sam can change into any animal he sees. Notice all the stuffed animals in the bar. His prefered form is that of a collie. And shapechangers in this Universe all are drawn to change when the moon is full. Sam is one of my favorite characters in this series I can't wait to see if the show him changing that could be an awesome shot. Would love to see him change into a gorilla or such and beat the shite out of a Vamp right in front of everyone.

There will be mentions of Faeries soon also and witches. I won't spoil anymore of it tho.

As for the Vampires sireing sp? other Vamps. I assume that it is like most Vamp stories and the person must be brought to the egde of death by the Vamp that bites them and then offered the blood of the sire. If they do not drink of the blood like Bill's sire told him they will die from blood loss. Just drinking the blood or taking V will not change the person into a Vamp.

I want to hear more on the back story of Eric also.

Pyrokin 10-27-2008 11:43 PM

I never really read into vampire mythology but I always thought vampires could always chose to change a person or just feed on them and didn't have to bring them to the brink of death.

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrokin (Post 38704)
I never really read into vampire mythology but I always thought vampires could always chose to change a person or just feed on them and didn't have to bring them to the brink of death.

Kinda all depends on the writer I guess. Different writers use different mythologies. In the old Dracula movies with Bela Lugosi he only had to bite the victims.

Comicbookfreak 11-03-2008 06:59 AM

Another great episode last night. i won't discuss it yet for those of you that have it recorded to watch later.

I found this on You Tube, a bunch or in character news type interviews of the cast of True Blood thought you people might like to take a look. I enjoyed it alot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BloodCopyCom