Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

jledou 07-11-2010 08:42 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Wrapped up A Pirate Looks at Fifty now onto The Dilbert Principle and lmao.

Starchild 07-12-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmokin (Post 910502)
I'm reading Magician: Apprentice (Riftwar Saga) by Raymond Feist

I do most of my reading while smoking cigars on the back deck. Doesn't get much better than that!

I read probably 10 books into that series a few years back. Really enjoyed it.

Emjaysmash 07-12-2010 09:49 AM

I'm listening to The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkind. I find it is easier to listen to a book while out on the porch...

Walt 07-12-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 913997)
I'm listening to The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkind. I find it is easier to listen to a book while out on the porch...

I read that shortly after it was released. It had a Sword of Truth, set to current day, feel to it. Its a decent novel.

bsmokin 07-12-2010 10:12 AM

Yea... I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

I'm about 200pgs into the first book. It's pretty good so far, if a little slow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starchild (Post 913955)
I read probably 10 books into that series a few years back. Really enjoyed it.

Samsquanch 07-12-2010 10:17 AM

Reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez and just finishing up listening to The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America by Tim Egan. Both excellent books and highly recommended!

CigarNut 07-12-2010 12:10 PM

Just started the second Farseer Trilogy (The Tawny Man) by Robin Hobb on my Kindle. Book 1 is Fool's Errand.

I also love the Raymond Feist Riftwar series. I have read a lot of the related books, but have not started the Darkwar and Demonwar series yet.

hockeymaniac 07-12-2010 12:50 PM

Reading the Golden City by John Twelve Hawks. It's the last book in his Fourth Realm Trilogy. Good stuff.

Walt 07-13-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 914138)
Just started the second Farseer Trilogy (The Tawny Man) by Robin Hobb on my Kindle. Book 1 is Fool's Errand.

I enjoyed that trilogy (also enjoyed Farseer). Have you read Liveship Traders? (Liveship is the second trilogy, chronologically, in Hobb's world)

CigarNut 07-13-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 914878)
I enjoyed that trilogy (also enjoyed Farseer). Have you read Liveship Traders? (Liveship is the second trilogy, chronologically, in Hobb's world)

I have not read Liveship Traders... I hope it still works when I read it out of order :)

Chinogobraap 07-13-2010 08:45 PM

I'm reading JIHAD: The Trail of Political Isalam by Gilles Kepel , its for a class and its pretty boring. The only way I've been getting through it is cigars, usually a churchill for every 2-3 chapters. It details how ISLAM evolved, the proliferation of of ISLAM through Petro dollars and the involvement from the house of SAUD(Saudia Arabia). Pretty cool but boring

Samsquanch 07-13-2010 09:26 PM

Just finished the latest Stephen King book - Blockade Billy. It's a really short read but pretty good, especially if you like baseball.

akumushi 07-14-2010 12:25 AM

Finished Little Children by Tom Perrotta not too long ago and it was an
interesting read; very well written and quickly paced although the characters
weren't a particularly sympathetic lot. The movie was actually a little better for
once in this case.
I'm making my way through If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
right now, it's brilliantly written, but the very nature of its conception is
designed to frustate and impeded the reader, so the going is slow. Damned
postmodernists.:r

smokehouse 07-14-2010 04:23 AM

Been reading Got the Life, by Fieldy one of The band members from my favorite Band Korn.

LasciviousXXX 07-14-2010 06:24 AM

Ugly Americans: The The True Story of the Ivy League Cowboys Who Raided the Asian Markets for Millions by Ben Mezrich.

Great read so far!

kaisersozei 07-14-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymaniac (Post 914177)
Reading the Golden City by John Twelve Hawks. It's the last book in his Fourth Realm Trilogy. Good stuff.

I'm gonna have to pick that up, really enjoyed the first two.

Along the same literary lines, I'm finishing up Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. My first book by her--she's an excellent writer. This was a follow-up to Oryx and Crake which I may have to go back now and read.

King James 07-14-2010 07:51 AM

I read both Sh*t My Dad Says and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell over the weekend two weeks ago. Both had me laughing out loud and in tears, really funny books.

pmwz 07-16-2010 09:31 AM

started reading lush life by richard price

hockeymaniac 07-20-2010 02:41 PM

If Chins Could Kill The autobiography or Bruce Campbell, Mr. B movie.

The Poet 07-20-2010 02:58 PM

Here's the thing: I gave a copy of Ulysses to a friend, and she has started reading that . . . or trying to, according to her assessment. But I felt a bit guilty, so to share her pain and show her support I started reading Joyce too. However, since I've read Ulysses at least three times already, I decided that it wasn't fair of me to go the "easy" route. So, I've started Finnegan's Wake again.

Onlest eyev'd misscontreved, his ist hayleerylust. :r