Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ugh Bad Choice Majoring in History (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1140)

gettysburgfreak 10-16-2008 09:28 AM

Ugh Bad Choice Majoring in History

Has anyone else majored in history or political science in college? I made that mistake and am now kicking myself in the ass. It was hard enough to find a job in that field after college but now with the crappy economy its even harder. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with a history degree?

Mugen910 10-16-2008 09:37 AM

Re: Ugh Bad Choice Majoring in History

History or Poli Sci should IMHO be coupled with philosphy. That way you have more doors open...Honestly I know one guy with a History Degree but he does admin work..He does have aspirations of becoming a teacher though.

TideRoll 10-16-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 10815)
Has anyone else majored in history or political science in college? I made that mistake and am now kicking myself in the ass. It was hard enough to find a job in that field after college but now with the crappy economy its even harder. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with a history degree?

I majored in PoliSci, minored in English, had enough hours to minor in History. There are any number of fields which might not seem obvious you can pursue. Besides post-grad studies such as a law degree, MBA/MPA, etc., there are also things like media/communications, government relations, education, etc.

I never once regretted studying what I was interested in: history, political science/economics, literature. I'm not sure I'd do anything different other than maybe giving law school a shot after all (and that's only because I've been burned out at what I've been doing for a few years; I happen to know more than a couple burned out attorneys my age, too). And as far having to lock into a job specifically related to History or PoliSci, a buddy of mine who majored in English is now a fairly successful network engineer.

BlackDog 10-16-2008 12:03 PM

I majored in history, minored in political science. Got a job on in DC working for a lobbying group for a few years. Got good at numbers and analysis. Transitioned into "regular" business. Now I am an analyst for a very large grocery company. It's not about what you know, it's about how flexible you are and what you can learn.

croatan 10-16-2008 01:41 PM

My history major is incredibly useful for trivial pursuit. Had to go to two grad schools to get a job.

white_s2k 10-16-2008 01:51 PM

I'm graduating in May with a major in Poli Sci and a minor in Criminal Justice. I know what I want to do, so hopefully there won't be TOO much job hunting going on.

I don't see myself ever regretting it. Sometimes when I tell people my major they say "eww, why are you majoring in that, politics is so boring." That mindset, I believe, is why this country's political system is in the crapper right now. The average Joe doesn't want to learn about politics, but want to complain when they elect a monkey into office for 8 years and he nearly destroys the country.

Ok, I'm done. :D

bobarian 10-16-2008 02:31 PM

Majored in PoliSci, minor in Econ. Never had a regret. You must remember that very few jobs are ever directly related to a undergraduate degree. Most fields(not all) will require continued education or an advanced degree. But there are thousands of jobs not tied directly to a specific field. Many employers are looking for a degree as a demonstration of commitment not knowledge. :2

mugwump 10-16-2008 05:07 PM

I majored in International Relations and minored in Classical Studies. The fact of the matter is that outside of the sciences most undergrad degrees are equally worthless in their own right. But they can either prepare you for grad school or train your mind to venture forth into the world. Most of my professional life has been spent in a field that didn't even exist when I was in college so I sure as heck couldn't have majored in it but the way I trained myself to study and learn comes in handy almost every day.

I'm still waiting for someone to ask me in casual conversation about Singaporean security issues or Trajan's Parthian campaign.