Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Steak recipe? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62006)

cjhalbrooks 05-23-2013 07:22 AM

Steak recipe?

Okay with a new grill and a long weekend coming up I was thinking about trying a new steak recipe. Anyone have any ideas. The steaks are sirloins. My wife doesn't like spices and I will be feeding my kids. Any help would be awesome.

Chainsaw13 05-23-2013 07:29 AM

Re: Steak recipe?

Hard to beat S&P and screamin' high heat to get that nice char. Maybe throw a foil pack of soaked wood chips on the burner/coals to get that nice smokey flavor.

76GTFan 05-23-2013 07:38 AM

Salt and pepper. Add heat. Done.

sevans105 05-23-2013 07:43 AM

I've been digging on Sous Vide with my steaks. Seal them in a ziplock bag with a bit of garlic, black pepper, and some fresh thyme. Drop the bag into a water bath at 131 degrees (try and get all the air out) and leave it there for about 45 minutes. Pull it out, throw it on a screaming hot grill, just to get some char marks on it. Perfect med rare all the way through. Fan-damn-tastic.

This is a great primer on the technique. Most tender steak you ever had.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/h...ide-steak.html

CamoFlogged 05-23-2013 07:53 AM

Kosher salt well on both sides and let sit for at least 1 hour. Melt a stick of non-salted butter and throw in some finely minced garlic, probably around 1-2 cloves. Not alot unless you really like garlic. Very slowly heat up the garlic in the butter until the garlic just starts to turn brownish. Do not make it crispy or too brown. Basically you are just infusing the butter with the garlic flavor.

Slap both sides of your steaks with the butter sauce, but a small amount of black pepper on and throw them on a hot BBQ grill and cook whatever doneness you like. Take them off and let them rest under foil for about 5 minutes.

For a slight twist on this, after you put the butter on, sprinkle some brown sugar ever so lightly prior to putting on the grill.

Simple1 05-23-2013 08:02 AM

Sirloins are always good with sautéed onions and mushrooms. Or topped with melted blue cheese and bacon.

sevans105 05-23-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple1 (Post 1838910)
Sirloins are always good with sautéed onions and mushrooms. Or topped with melted blue cheese and bacon.

^this....good ideas too.

My personal favorite is to use a filet knife and make a pocket in the steak....small hole...big pocket. Fill it with blue cheese...not too much..then onto the grill. Tasty stuff.

jwintosh 05-23-2013 08:23 AM

My gal marinate them in Worcestershire sauce, a little garlic, and salt-and-pepper. Seal in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge for a couple hours. Good stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

dave 05-23-2013 08:38 AM

Camo is right about salting them first. Since I've started doing this, I've been extremely happy with my steaks. Couple of points:

-I know nothing about kosher salt. I use sea salt.
-One hour is too long for me. I've cut it to 40 min. It does depend on how thick the steaks are and how much salt you use, but I cover thoroughly and use timer to quit at 40 min. One hour and the meat tastes too salty for me.
-He doesn't mention it, but after you've let them sit with the salt, rinse them off very well with running room-temp water. Don't rinse well enough and you'll find them too salty.

I have been doing this for a couple years now and I am still amazed. I've always preferred Sirloin - I think the flavor is better .....and maybe I'm influenced by price more than I admit to myself. It was just that the meat was so much denser and often tougher. Pre-salting a decent sirloin and then grilling it well will give you a better steak than not-pre-salting a ribeye or strip, IMHO.

CamoFlogged 05-23-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 1838924)
Camo is right about salting them first. Since I've started doing this, I've been extremely happy with my steaks. Couple of points:

-One hour is too long for me. I've cut it to 40 min. It does depend on how thick the steaks are and how much salt you use, but I cover thoroughly and use timer to quit at 40 min. One hour and the meat tastes too salty for me.
-He doesn't mention it, but after you've let them sit with the salt, rinse them off very well with running room-temp water. Don't rinse well enough and you'll find them too salty.

I have been doing this for a couple years now and I am still amazed. I've always preferred Sirloin - I think the flavor is better .....and maybe I'm influenced by price more than I admit to myself. It was just that the meat was so much denser and often tougher. Pre-salting a decent sirloin and then grilling it well will give you a better steak than not-pre-salting a ribeye or strip, IMHO.

Bingo, but I leave the salt on. Sea salt is "saltier" than Kosher cause it is more dense, thus the reasoning but it is sort of trial and error until I got it where my family likes it. If I used sea salt I would probably do exactly what you said. Either salt will work great though, you just need to find your balance point. Not many people pre-salt and rest their steaks, but it is the key for sure.

sevans105 05-23-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 1838924)

One note on this....salting is awesome...rinsing is critical, but pat the steaks dry with a paper towel before grilling/searing. Much better "crust" that way.

(Obviously I'm a steak fan...three posts!)

T.G 05-23-2013 08:57 AM

Looks like Dave beat me to the pre-salting technique. Here's some more info to add to that:
http://www.steamykitchen.com/163-how...me-steaks.html

dave 05-23-2013 09:25 AM

I need to add a sig to my profile that acknowledges T.G. ......for most of what I claim to know.....

.....any info I passed on above about salting a steak was only learned because of a previous suggestion from T.G.....I should have remembered and acknowledged in earlier post.

T.G 05-23-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 1838941)
I need to add a sig to my profile that acknowledges T.G. ......for most of what I claim to know.....

.....any info I passed on above about salting a steak was only learned because of a previous suggestion from T.G.....I should have remembered and acknowledged in earlier post.

You did? I have to be honest, Dave, the salted steaks thing has come up so many times in the past, I no longer remember who I've talked to about it. And, I'm certainly not the originator of the technique, so the credit really probably belongs elsewhere.

357 05-23-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1838898)
Salt and pepper. Add heat. Done.

I agree, but I use garlic-salt and pepper.

When I really want to take it up a notch I use a zip-sauce recipie that goes well with any form of steak and surprisingly well with lobster or shrimp. It's very simple, 4-5 parts butter and 1 part Maggi Seasoning. Restaraunts use clarified but regular butter will do. There's a slightly more complex version found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/zip-sauce...xcellent-73099

The restaraunt that goes unnamed is a local Italian steak house my family has been patrons of for about 50 years. It is rather pricy so we mostly go there for special occasions.

Here's the Maggi Seasoning: http://www.amazon.com/Maggi-Seasoning/dp/B0000E2PX6

You should be able to find it at your local Kroger for a lot less than the Amazon link but a picture helps as most grocery store employees have never heard of it.

pektel 05-23-2013 11:19 AM

I'll have to try this salting method. I normally save the salt for JUST before it hits the heat. I will use fresh ground pepper, and a touch of onion powder and garlic powder. Direct heat for the first side (for grill marks and nice sear) then flip and pull to indirect heat to finish. I don't season the presentation side. Just the side that will eventually go over indirect heat.

Once they are medium rare, I pull from the heat, put a pad of butter on top, and tent with foil while I'm prepping the potatoes and whatever else. Normally about 5 minutes.

Been doing it this way for years, and everyone has been blown away by them. Normally hand-picked ribeyes from a local shop that seem to have consistently excellent marbling.

But like I said, if this pre-salting method makes steak better in general, I'll have to give it a shot.

cjhalbrooks 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

Wow y'all are making me hungry. I may have steak for a long time. Thanks:dr

dave 05-23-2013 11:40 AM

The article TG cited just makes way too much sense to me (and it works.) I haven't had the 'science' independently verified or even thought through it all too well.....it just makes sense. First time I read the part about salting meat right before putting on the grill means you're steaming it, I was sold. May not all be factual, but it does work.

At the very least, if not pre-salting, I no longer put any salt on meat prior to grilling.