Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   El Cobre by Oliva (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11912)

shilala 03-11-2009 09:33 PM

El Cobre by Oliva

Today I was raking the yard and finally got to spark up an El Cobre that Scott (sofaman) gifted me.
I don't write many reviews. I really only write them when a cigar is at one end of the spectrum or the other, mostly because I'm not much for heaping words on top of mediocrity.
I do like to hope that everyone gets to try something that's good, and that bad cigars should die a quick and painful death. :)

I'll start backwards by saying that gathering up some El Cobres has become an instant high priority.

I can only compare the El Cobre to one other cigar. The El Original.
These things will absolutely pollute you. I've been done smoking that cigar for seven or eight hours and the stink is just now starting to let up.
The El Original is one of my all-time favorites. I order them from the Keys at Island smoke shop. I've been out for some time now and haven't reordered because I'm so caught up in the slew of cigars that come in and out of here. The El Cobre is so very similar that I'm going to order a box of each so I can compare them side to side.

This thing really brought me back to "what I like".
I'm a hog. I like gross stuff. If something's bad for me, I always hope it could be worse. This El Cobre fits the bill. I think the best way to explain it is that "it's the cigar that everyone who doesn't smoke cigars thinks a cigar is like."
Ya know that face they make? This is what they're really thinking. :D

I went and looked up the cigar and saw nicknames about it. "The Lobotomizer" was one. "Bruce Lee" was another.
I didn't find it at all strong nicotine-wise. It's definately got enough flavor, fullness, and body to overwhelm a person who isn't a fan of that end of cigars. I could see it making a guy blow chunks. Not from the buzz, but because it totally pollutes your senses.

If the thought of the pinnacle of spice, chocolate, caramel, tire, cowsh!t and smoke is of any interest to you at all, you must try this stick.
If you get to the other end of it, Try an El Original.
If there's anything beyond these guys, I cannot wait to try it.

I give this stick a Tripple Eff 10, :tu :tu, and a Cigar Afficianado rating of 7 or 107.

BengalMan 03-11-2009 10:16 PM

Re: El Cobre by Oliva

I'm so confused by this review? Do you like it or not? lol.

stearns 03-11-2009 10:17 PM

been sitting on one of these for close to a year now. this review certainly makes it seem like something worth trying once. maybe it will have the spice, chocolate, and caramel, but the time its been resting will have ditched the tire and cowsh!t.

either way, thanks for the review! it was an enjoyable read

stearns

Ratters 03-11-2009 10:46 PM

Had one last night. Great cigars. :tu

Don Fernando 03-12-2009 12:38 AM

I like em a lot.

MithShrike 03-12-2009 01:13 AM

I like them too. Brian at Discount Cigar was kind enough to send me two for free.

sofaman 03-12-2009 05:15 AM

Glad you liked it brother the El Cobre is my favorite Oliva Stick :tu

shilala 03-12-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 283457)
I'm so confused by this review? Do you like it or not? lol.

Loved it. It was right up my alley. :tu

tobii3 03-12-2009 08:35 AM

Ask JohnnyKay about the pic I sent him on his phone.

There's a B&M that KEEPS them in stock....and a Military Discount!! But I am NOT talking!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!:dance:

Starscream 03-12-2009 08:55 AM

Never heard of this cigar. I'll have to find one and try it out. Thanks for the review.

SmoknTaz 03-12-2009 01:03 PM

Interesting review Scott. I love the Oliva G's but after reading this I'm a little skeered to try this one. . .

thebiglebowski 03-18-2009 01:48 PM

not being an oliva smoker, normally, i can't find this cigar anywhere. well, i can't find it in perelman's cyclopedia or at cigars international. with the 47 oliva brands, not sure where to look. help?

taltos 03-18-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiglebowski (Post 293171)
not being an oliva smoker, normally, i can't find this cigar anywhere. well, i can't find it in perelman's cyclopedia or at cigars international. with the 47 oliva brands, not sure where to look. help?

One of the few US sources is discountcigars.org.

tobii3 03-18-2009 03:13 PM

One of the only other places is here in NC (see my earlier post)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...3/elcobres.jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

I blame the Tulip Twins for this!!!

LordOfWu 03-18-2009 03:24 PM

Scott, you seriously need to do more reviews!!! :r

I might just have to try to locate a couple of these, they sound like they might be right up my alley as well!

Don Fernando 03-18-2009 03:39 PM

I smoked all 4 vitola's:

Churchill
Toro
Robusto
Torpedo

Texan in Mexico 03-18-2009 03:45 PM

For a few years I smoked a lot of Olivas, have gotten distracted the last couple years I guess and will definately pick up a box of O's and maybe a 5er of these to try!

tobii3 03-18-2009 04:58 PM

Even Lt. Skills loves the El Cobre's!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19.../skills001.jpg

The Saint 03-18-2009 08:25 PM

I smoked all 4 vitola's:

Robusto

"It’s like being kicked in the balls"

LOL! Classic line!!

I wish they offered these in a 5'er, but I know if I bought a 5'er...I'd end up buying a bundle....or 2.:dr

Skywalker 03-18-2009 11:47 PM

Thanks for the review!!!

But I'm afraid!!!
:lv