Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Balvenie - A Match Made in Heaven (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31096)

KenyanSandBoa 04-17-2010 11:30 AM

The Balvenie - A Match Made in Heaven

1 Attachment(s)
I had been talking to Matt (wolfandwhisky) about some single malts that wouldn't break the bank, but would also satisfy my urge to try fine single malts. Well, a special thanks to Matt for recommending The Balvenie Doublewood. :dr

I picked up a bottle on Thursday night for a little after dinner treat and was not disappointed. I paired it with a 601 Blue and it was a match made in heaven. For anyone interested in pursing some fine single malts, I would definitely recommend The Balvenie as a great place to start. :tu

I was originally planning on smoking a Man O' War with it, but I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get a torro in before the rain, so I switched to the 601 Blue robusto.

Darrell 04-17-2010 11:34 AM

Re: The Balvenie - A Match Made in Heaven

Balvenie is good stuff. Especially for the price.

KenyanSandBoa 04-17-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 830952)
Balvenie is good stuff. Especially for the price.

Yeah, that was a key point for me. I didn't want to dive head first into some bank-breaking scotch and not like it. Seems like a good starting point.

Darrell 04-17-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 830997)
Yeah, that was a key point for me. I didn't want to dive head first into some bank-breaking scotch and not like it. Seems like a good starting point.

Scotch isn't cheap, it's best to start nice and slow. :D

Mugen910 04-17-2010 12:16 PM

Thanks for the invite Jim :(

I know nothing about whiskey but it looks good. :tu

jaydub13 04-17-2010 12:46 PM

That Balvenie Doublewood is a personal favorite, and it's pretty hard to argue with the price. In that price range, check out Talisker 12, Oban 14, and Compass Box Peat Monster. All are nice single malts at a great value.

KenyanSandBoa 04-17-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 831004)
Thanks for the invite Jim :(

I know nothing about whiskey but it looks good. :tu

I'll be sure to let you know the next time. :D I have to remember how many inmates there are close by. :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydub13 (Post 831040)
That Balvenie Doublewood is a personal favorite, and it's pretty hard to argue with the price. In that price range, check out Talisker 12, Oban 14, and Compass Box Peat Monster. All are nice single malts at a great value.

Thanks for the heads up on those...I'll definitely have to check those out.

nomadicwookie 04-22-2010 08:52 PM

I just tried the Double Wood for the first time around Christmas. I have to say I was blown away as well. It's got a nice subtle sweetness to it.

RightAJ 04-22-2010 08:56 PM

Had this at an Ashton event.. very good, and went well with with a cigar!!

aj

wolfandwhisky 04-22-2010 09:06 PM

Glad you liked it Jim! Balvenie DW is often credited with being one of the whiskies that brings people into single malts.

Plus, the spicy notes, combined with oak, vanilla, and honey, work really well with a lot of cigars - especially maduros.

Great pairing - I'll definitely have to try it myself! :tu

wolfandwhisky 04-24-2010 12:42 AM

Because of this thread I decided to crack open one of my bottles of DW... went with a UK release at 40%... very very smooth with the lower ABV

BlackDog 06-16-2010 10:49 AM

I had some Balvenie Doublewood this past weekend when I was visiting relatives in NC. Very good stuff. I liked the fruit/sweet undertones.

While there we went to another friends house for dinner. He is a liquor salesman, and had a nice spread of booze. My uncle told me "He's a liquor salesman, don't drink beer there." When our host saw me pouring a second Doublewood, he said to wait a minute, went to a closet, and pulled out another bottle..........of Balvenie 30 Year. :dr

Wow. Awesome whisky.

Next day he showed up at my relatives house with a gift for me. My very own bottle of Balvenie 30 Year. Sealed, in the box, my very own. I'm torn. Part of me says keep it, since I'll never own another bottle so expensive. On the other hand, I don't drink a lot of scotch, and am happy with a nice 12 year old so I may donate it for an auction at the school for handicapped kids that my son goes to.

The bottle is being shipped to me since I couldn't carry it on the plane and I didn't want to check it. I'll have a hard decision to make noce I get it.

awsmith4 06-16-2010 11:36 AM

Balvenie 12 DW is my go-to Scotch. I have yet to find a cigar it doesn't pair with.

wolfandwhisky 06-16-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 888808)
I had some Balvenie Doublewood this past weekend when I was visiting relatives in NC. Very good stuff. I liked the fruit/sweet undertones.

While there we went to another friends house for dinner. He is a liquor salesman, and had a nice spread of booze. My uncle told me "He's a liquor salesman, don't drink beer there." When our host saw me pouring a second Doublewood, he said to wait a minute, went to a closet, and pulled out another bottle..........of Balvenie 30 Year. :dr

Wow. Awesome whisky.

Next day he showed up at my relatives house with a gift for me. My very own bottle of Balvenie 30 Year. Sealed, in the box, my very own. I'm torn. Part of me says keep it, since I'll never own another bottle so expensive. On the other hand, I don't drink a lot of scotch, and am happy with a nice 12 year old so I may donate it for an auction at the school for handicapped kids that my son goes to.

The bottle is being shipped to me since I couldn't carry it on the plane and I didn't want to check it. I'll have a hard decision to make noce I get it.

Great story - and either solution is an enjoyable one

hammondc 09-01-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky (Post 836589)
Glad you liked it Jim! Balvenie DW is often credited with being one of the whiskies that brings people into single malts.

Absolutely true. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff. the only other one I have purchased is a Dalmore. It is still almost full.

CigarNut 09-01-2010 07:27 PM

I have always like Balvenie! One of my favs!

Samsquanch 09-01-2010 07:43 PM

When I first started getting into single malts I was looking around at my local liquor store and they actually had a sampler pack of airplane sized bottles with 4 different single malts. That was about 5 years ago but they may still have the sampler pack at your local liquor store - it was a great intro.

awsmith4 09-01-2010 10:20 PM

I m having a jigger of the 15yr as I type, it is different than the 12yr, especially seeing as its a single barrel, but still fantastic :)

Matt-N-Ga 09-05-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 974752)
I m having a jigger of the 15yr as I type, it is different than the 12yr, especially seeing as its a single barrel, but still fantastic :)

WTF ? You holding out on me ? Damn that sounds good. Here, I say you buy this and let me try some whenever I want ::r

http://www.luxist.com/2010/05/26/fir...from-balvenie/

:banger:dr

CBI_2 09-05-2010 08:22 PM

Sounds great. I look forward to trying it now. I picked up a bottle of Glen Moray 12yr. Single Malt Speyside that is very reasonably priced and very smooth. http://www.glenmoray.com/tasting-not...tes-twelve.php
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n.../glenmoray.jpg