Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need Help With Some Gifted Wine (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46126)

IBQTEE1 06-01-2011 11:02 AM

Need Help With Some Gifted Wine

My friend is moving out of state and he gave me 12 bottles of wine. There were a couple that I knew about but there are the following 6 that I know nothing about. Can you tell me if they are any good or not? Thanks!!

Here are the 1st three

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_3053.jpg

Here are the 2nd three

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_3054.jpg

Skywalker 06-01-2011 11:42 AM

Re: Need Help With Some Gifted Wine

Only one way to find out!:al

Where is Bob or Greg when you need them???

OnlyDryReds 06-01-2011 11:44 AM

Ill bring the cheese :)

Subvet642 06-01-2011 11:59 AM

That Gewurztraminer looks nice! I love Gewurz! Serve it cool. :tu

OLS 06-01-2011 12:04 PM

I like the Z.S.Katz a lot, I tend towards the bright and fruity, which is why I like that kid on glee, the one that
probably has a clitoris. (I KID)....
The Meridian ought to be decent, might not taste too expensive, but it ought to be good enough, certainly.
The others I would be stabbing in the dark on, but NONE of them look bad, out of those that I don't know.
I would think the Beaujolais would be great, a bit dry and tannic, but again good enough. ALL OF IT, from the
vintages I can read, is ready to drink now....how convenient, lol. I'd start with that Mondavi, unless someone else
with experience thought it would roll on.

markem 06-01-2011 12:19 PM

I have had 4 of the six (weirdly enough, I have not had the rightmost one in each pic). I'd say that they are all nice wines with the Meridian and the Beaujolais being the ones that peak my interest. In the very end, it will depend a lot on how the previous owner stored them. My advice is to work them in to a mix of wines you like so that you can have both a backup and comparison readily at hand.

T.G 06-01-2011 12:58 PM

Wait, wait, whut?

Wine comes in bottles too? All these years, I've lugging boxes... :c

CigarNut 06-01-2011 01:07 PM

When's the party Kristin??

The Poet 06-01-2011 02:17 PM

My first thought was that all the white wines are all at least a decade old. Though red wines are generally considered to improve with age, the same is not necessarily true of whites. If the whites were stored in the proper environment, they could be better than they were "fresh", but if not they may have turned to vinegar.

As the nice Darrell said, there's one way to find out. ;)

St. Lou Stu 06-01-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 (Post 1280944)
My friend is moving out of state and he gave me 12 bottles of wine. There were a couple that I knew about but there are the following 6 that I know nothing about. Can you tell me if they are any good or not? Thanks!!

Here are the 1st three

Here are the 2nd three

I'm willing to help. Pursuant to your bolded request, I will tell you if they are good or not after each glass.
What time and where?

GWN 06-01-2011 06:19 PM

mosesbotbol is the guy you're looking for.

OLS 06-01-2011 06:39 PM

Yeah, I forgot to say that.....storage, storage, storage. Them's some OLD bottles, relatively speaking.
Might have some free vinegar, might have some excellent little bottles, and again, most if not all need to be
drunk now. MIGHT be able to hold the Beaujolais longest. But if it was well kept, it could be GREAT now.

IBQTEE1 06-02-2011 08:27 AM

"Thanks for the help" :r I guess the party is at my house for either a bottle dumping party or a great wine tasting. I will let everyone know when the party is. :D

OLS 06-02-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 (Post 1281946)
bottle dumping party

I have often wondered, would it be a good use of bad wine to take the vinegar and herbs and
make something useful out of it, or is the term 'vinegar' just a way of saying that it is now so bad that
the turned wine can't be used, even as actual vinegar? Hmmmmmm. GUUUGLE!!!
------edit post guugle.
I still have no idea, but apprently making vinegar is more complicated than I thought, lol.

Out of 6 bottles I am predicting one bottle turned.

IBQTEE1 06-02-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1281967)
Out of 6 bottles I am predicting one bottle turned.

That would work for me.

replicant_argent 06-02-2011 11:07 AM

Like what you drink, drink what you like. ;)
No need for "expert" analysis.
Make sure they are the proper temps for each type, open them up.
If you like it, repeat as necessary until the bottle gets upside down.
If it sucks, dump it.

You really might want to think about unbiased third party analysis and verification of exactly which grapes were used, and if they have been tampered with, just to be safe. I would call in some guys that will flap their gums about the provenance. By that time, you should have a few glasses under your belt and can roll your eyes appropriately. ;)
Cigars are just rolled leaves that sometimes suck, wine is just fermented grapes that may suck/partially suck/ don't suck.
Perhaps I have said too much.
Get some "cheap wine," some madiera, and some "vintage port" to back yourself up.

I keeed... I keeeeeed.....

mosesbotbol 06-03-2011 09:26 AM

All of these are drinkable if aged correct.

Bouchard is a good brand for Burgundy. The Beaujolais-Village is the most basic expression of Beaujolais. What vintage? Should be fun to open. Serve slightly chilled.

Buena Vista Gewrztramaminer will be be sweet, but slightly musty by now. Not that, musty is bad, but is what happens to this style of wine when it ages. Serve chilled.

Brocard Chablis is the one that caught my eye the most. This is a chard and could be real nice. Serve Chilled and then let warm a touch if it is drinkable.

Mondavi SC will be really interesting! Never had one that old, but I would be curious to hear your result. Nice with cold seafood platter. Serve Chilled and then let warm a touch if it is drinkable.

IBQTEE1 06-03-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1283539)
All of these are drinkable if aged correct.

Bouchard is a good brand for Burgundy. The Beaujolais-Village is the most basic expression of Beaujolais. What vintage? Should be fun to open. Serve slightly chilled.

Buena Vista Gewrztramaminer will be be sweet, but slightly musty by now. Not that, musty is bad, but is what happens to this style of wine when it ages. Serve chilled.

Brocard Chablis is the one that caught my eye the most. This is a chard and could be real nice. Serve Chilled and then let warm a touch if it is drinkable.

Mondavi SC will be really interesting! Never had one that old, but I would be curious to hear your result. Nice with cold seafood platter. Serve Chilled and then let warm a touch if it is drinkable.

Thank you for the help. This helps me out a ton. I am not that big of a wine drinker.

CoreyD 06-10-2011 01:18 AM

If it turns out not to be a good glass, it may be great for cooking.

IBQTEE1 06-10-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyD (Post 1290661)
If it turns out not to be a good glass, it may be great for cooking.

That is what I was thinking too!! I marinate my meat all the time in wine.