Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Humidor Temperature (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46327)

dkummerle 06-08-2011 02:21 PM

Humidor Temperature

I live in Boston, and the weather is getting hot...finally! My wife and I live in the city, and keeping the temp in my Humidor low has been a bit of a challenge. I understand that the ideal spot for a Humidor is in a cool - room tempature area. However, does anyone have any ideas as to how to cool the inside of the humidor if that's not always possible? I noticed my unit is getting up to 72-75 degrees...too high. I thought about freezing distilled water and placing that inside the Humidor, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea...

Dirk

Bill86 06-08-2011 02:30 PM

Re: Humidor Temperature

You could get a Vinotemp. Put your humidor in the corner of a small room in your basement. For me that is the only way to fly till I get a vinotemp.

DennisP 06-08-2011 02:35 PM

I wouldn't worry until you have long stretches over 80. My humidor is in the range you posted year round.

OLS 06-08-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkummerle (Post 1288916)
I thought about freezing distilled water and placing that inside the Humidor, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea...

Dirk

HA, idiot......you can't FREEZE distilled water....there's nothing for the molecules to grab on to.

PFFT....what a maroon.

;)

dkummerle 06-08-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1288934)
You could get a Vinotemp. Put your humidor in the corner of a small room in your basement. For me that is the only way to fly till I get a vinotemp.

That would be ideal, albeit a pricey solution. Unfortunately tho, I don't have a basement and I have a large humidor, so that wouldn't work for me.

bobarian 06-08-2011 04:23 PM

As Dennis said, it will take a sustained period of over 75-80 for eggs to hatch. If it drops to say 60-62 or lower at night you should be fine. Also bear in mind that most domestic wholesalers and some retailers now freeze their stock upon receipt from the factories. The alternative is to freeze your cigars before putting them in your humidor. 3-4 days in a household freezer will render any eggs nonviable. :2

Flounder 06-11-2011 04:35 PM

Nonviable as in it will kill them? And they will never hatch?

gnukfu 06-12-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1289063)
As Dennis said, it will take a sustained period of over 75-80 for eggs to hatch. If it drops to say 60-62 or lower at night you should be fine. Also bear in mind that most domestic wholesalers and some retailers now freeze their stock upon receipt from the factories. The alternative is to freeze your cigars before putting them in your humidor. 3-4 days in a household freezer will render any eggs nonviable. :2

Yeah what Bob said. I'm chatty today. 4 useless posts so far. :)

Barteur 06-12-2011 10:01 AM

Yep, I freeze everything and never had an issue, yet... touching wood.

Sherlockholms 06-12-2011 10:09 AM

Nom, nom nom.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=5803

LasciviousXXX 06-12-2011 10:12 AM

Invest in a thermoelectric cooler to add to your humi :tu

SvilleKid 06-12-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barteur (Post 1293641)
Yep, I freeze everything and never had an issue, yet... touching wood.

Eric..... Did we really need to know this????:noon:r:noon

dkummerle 06-12-2011 02:37 PM

Crap, I was all set and worry free until I saw that disgusting pic of the bug. Now that I've finished throwing up my lunch, I think I'll just make sure the temp will not stay over 78 degrees for an extended period of time.

Sherlockholms 06-12-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkummerle (Post 1293787)
Crap, I was all set and worry free until I saw that disgusting pic of the bug. Now that I've finished throwing up my lunch, I think I'll just make sure the temp will not stay over 78 degrees for an extended period of time.

Munch munch munch

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=5804

Drez 06-12-2011 10:34 PM

My vino is not thermo electric so it's unplugged and I keep it in the living room away from windows and outside walls and it stays around 71-72.

My cooler is in the closet upstairs and it stays about 70.

Ill be getting another vino soon so I can run it cause it cost alot to run the a/c real cold in Miami.

Sherlockholms 06-12-2011 10:39 PM

What is your ambient temps usually Drez? I have a wine cooler I want to setup that I got for free but its a compressor and the cooling unit is shot. I was thinking about keeping it in my closet where it is the coolest, but if it can keep cooler temps then my cooler outside of the closet then I might do that. My house stays about 80-84 on warm days. I'm not too worried about the heat, but when the heat spikes the rh spikes.

Drez 06-12-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1294362)
What is your ambient temps usually Drez? I have a wine cooler I want to setup that I got for free but its a compressor and the cooling unit is shot. I was thinking about keeping it in my closet where it is the coolest, but if it can keep cooler temps then my cooler outside of the closet then I might do that. My house stays about 80-84 on warm days. I'm not too worried about the heat, but when the heat spikes the rh spikes.

My a/c stays at about 74-75