Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Opinion on great beers (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22307)

Poronico 09-29-2009 02:04 PM

Opinion on great beers

I am new to the game of enjoying great beer, I am a huge fan of Dark beers and the abbey ales. Personally I have yet to find a smoked porter I didnt enjoy, also love a good stout. The last brew I enjoyed was a Treppist Abbey Ale and it was amazing! So I want your insight on what my next purchase should be or what you think I shouldn't miss out on down my adventurous road. :D

icehog3 09-29-2009 02:09 PM

Re: Opinion on great beers

Being in the Northwest I assume you've tried Anchor Steam Porter, Jesse?

Jbailey 09-29-2009 02:11 PM

I would try a bunch of different Porters and Imperials. Not to familiar with beers in your area but I will keep my eyes out.

Red 09-29-2009 02:12 PM

have you tried any IPA's yet ?

Riff Raff 09-29-2009 02:14 PM

I am thinking in the sense of Octoberfest beers! After all, offically, it has started! There are some great ones out there.

icehog3 09-29-2009 02:17 PM

Another one I have enjoyed this summer is Black Boss Porter, out of Poland...unfortunately, I can't find any around here any more.

dubnick 09-29-2009 02:28 PM

Left Hand Black Jack Porter

D_A 09-29-2009 02:37 PM

When I was living in WA, I used to drink lots of Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Or. Rogue's Shakespeare Stout and Mocha Porter are pretty good too. They are also out of Oregon. New Belgium Brewery in Colorado makes a good abbey ale as I recall and is available in your area. If you're in Seattle, the brewery at Pikes Place has some good dark beers too.

Poronico 09-29-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 573454)
Being in the Northwest I assume you've tried Anchor Steam Porter, Jesse?

Not yet, But I have had the Kona Porter and the Black Butte and both were phenomenal!

Poronico 09-29-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 573457)
have you tried any IPA's yet ?

I have tried a few IPA's the latest one being at VitaleMobs BBQ herf, it was pretty good.

Red 09-29-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poronico (Post 573619)
I have tried a few IPA's the latest one being at VitaleMobs BBQ herf, it was pretty good.

nice! look for sierra nevada Torpedo , its a new one..and its one of the best beer of the year imo. A pretty widley available

Darrell 09-29-2009 03:49 PM

Dead Guy by Rogue
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Imperial IPA
Double Dead Guy Ale by Rogue

:2

Skywalker 09-29-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 573470)
Another one I have enjoyed this summer is Black Boss Porter, out of Poland...unfortunately, I can't find any around here any more.

I have a source in Chico!!!

Man! That stuff rocks

kenstogie 09-29-2009 04:23 PM

First, start brewing your own. It's sooooo much better than most beers. Try a hoppy beer (Pale ales) and a Non Hoppy (hefewiezen) start from there and brew brew brew. sadly you'll realize how poorly cared for much bottle beer is but rejoice because you'll have a new appreciation for beer!
Also try Shakespeare Stout, that's some great stuff.

Poronico 09-29-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 573625)
Dead Guy by Rogue
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Imperial IPA
Double Dead Guy Ale by Rogue

:2

I have had all of those except the IPA and loves all of them. The DC porter was awesome with a DPG Blue Lancero

Poronico 09-29-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenstogie (Post 573707)
First, start brewing your own. It's sooooo much better than most beers. Try a hoppy beer (Pale ales) and a Non Hoppy (hefewiezen) start from there and brew brew brew. sadly you'll realize how poorly cared for much bottle beer is but rejoice because you'll have a new appreciation for beer!
Also try Shakespeare Stout, that's some great stuff.

Brewing would be a great thing for me because I am a science and chemistry nut, BUT with the limited amount of space I have to work with in my apartment Its not really an option at the moment.

yourchoice 09-29-2009 05:11 PM

I love beer!

What I believe to be readily available (at least they are to me :)). Generally in the order of my preference, but I reach for all of these.

IPAs (my favorite when the weather is warm)
  • Stone IPA (great balance)
  • Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute (90 is better IMO, albeit more expensive)
  • Victory HopDevil (hoppy!)
  • Smutteynose IPA
Porters
  • Stone Smoked Porter (nice and smokey :tu)
  • Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter
Ales
  • Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale (sneaky strong)
  • Unibroue Maudite (my favorite from Unibroue, especially for the price)
  • Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (pumkin taste is different = not for everyone)
Stouts (I need to expand my Stout horizons)
  • Left Hand Milk Stout
  • Samuel Adams Cream Stout
Oktoberfest (I like to stay in Germany for Oktoberfests YMMV)
  • Warsteiner Oktoberfest (awesome)
  • Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest

Great...now I'm thirsty! :r

icehog3 09-29-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 573682)
I have a source in Chico!!!

Man! That stuff rocks

What's the name of the place, Darrell...if you don't mind revealing a source, that is! :)

kenstogie 09-29-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poronico (Post 573800)
Brewing would be a great thing for me because I am a science and chemistry nut, BUT with the limited amount of space I have to work with in my apartment Its not really an option at the moment.

I brew the beer I drink, its hard going back to the regular stuff. My "required gear' consists of 2-6 gallon buckets, like "spackle" or "drywall mud" buckets and everything but the pot and the bottles fits inside.

BeerAdvocate 09-30-2009 06:11 AM

Dive into the world of Belgians and start at the top with St Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 and Chimay!