Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A Boy & His Pipe, a First Date (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27681)

rhmalone 01-23-2010 07:50 PM

A Boy & His Pipe, a First Date

Today marks my introduction into the world of pipe smoking; something I've been curious of for a little while. I've been a cigar smoker for a few years, but pipes have always held a certain allure for me. I actually joined CA more for the information on pipes than on cigars (although I intend to chime in on that side of the leaf as well).

Anyway, this week as been nothing short of school boy excitement to try my first bowl full of pipe tobacco. I mistakenly snubbed cobs simply on price, figuring them to be cheap. More on that in a moment. Instead I picked up what appears to be a decent, inexpensive estate briar from eBay. I'll soon realize the wisdom of this as it's not arrived yet.

Last night I took a trip to the local B&M to pick up the necessary stater equipment as well as ask a few questions. In addition to the tools I had intended to buy, I walked away with what will amount to a couple of bowls of Frog Morton the guys at the shop gave me. Naturally, having tobacco in hand only served to further my school boy excitement. And after some Q&A on here I was adjusted in my wrongful thinking about cobs and as such went out and picked one up from the drug store.

So here I am, all set to try my first ever pipe and while I don't know if I did it all right, I will say my experience was more pleasant than not (so I must have). Instead of burning / wasting the FM (just in case things went south), I picked up a pouch of Capt. Black Gold at the drug store.

At first, I didn't notice any sort of flavor but as a few draws turned to several I began to pick up on the flavor. All in all, I think it's a little weak for what I may end up liking, but enjoyable nonetheless.

If you could see the grin on my face, you'd probably smack me silly. Well, time for another bowl... :dr

whodeeni 01-27-2010 12:14 AM

Re: A Boy & His Pipe, a First Date

Congrats bro! I bought a couple of estate pipes on ebad
a week and a half ago, and last week i bought a blend called
"999"... won't be too long before I have my "first date"! :D

rhmalone 01-27-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodeeni (Post 736420)
Congrats bro! I bought a couple of estate pipes on ebad
a week and a half ago, and last week i bought a blend called
"999"... won't be too long before I have my "first date"! :D

Let me know how it goes, also how the eBay pipes turn out. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive. Where did you pick up your 999 blend (local / online)?

Eggopp 02-07-2010 06:43 PM

Im on my first pipe too. I bought myself a Dr Plumb pipe for xmas, ive smoked American Black Cherry in it and it was quite nice... What ive been doing since is cutting off the ends of my smoked cigars and rubbing the ends down and smoking them in my pipe.. A bit indifferent but with a filter, no different to smoking the cigar,,,... A good way of not having any waste. :D

rhmalone 02-08-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggopp (Post 751292)
What ive been doing since is cutting off the ends of my smoked cigars and rubbing the ends down and smoking them in my pipe.. A bit indifferent but with a filter, no different to smoking the cigar,,,... A good way of not having any waste. :D

While I've only been smoking a pipe a few weeks, that's a new one for me. Don't you find that the remaining nub of the cigar is a bit moist, or are you letting it dry out?

Waste not want not I guess.

Eggopp 02-14-2010 08:10 AM

Not at all, i keep my off cuts in a very small, one portion ice cream tub, in the fridge as there isnt normally any room in my humi, stays moist :ss

colinb913 03-14-2010 06:50 PM

Good to hear you are liking the pipe my man

Ranger_B 03-14-2010 09:31 PM

Congrats. I have had some good finds on Ebay.

rhmalone 03-15-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger_B (Post 794369)
Congrats. I have had some good finds on Ebay.

Yeah, I was definitely happy... likely will be looking for a decent estate bent for my next pipe.