Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Looking for rifle suggestions. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49065)

rrplasencia 09-07-2011 04:23 PM

Looking for rifle suggestions.

Looking a larger caliber hunting rifle, say 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. something good for a long distance hunt, 500-600yds. assume ammo and will be appropriate for the distance. I've looked at Remington 700's, browning x and a bolts, tikka t3 hunter. I'll be putting a muzzle break in. so looking for a smooth bolt, accurate, durable, dependable, 26" barrel, and not that concerned with stock.(wood or composite is fine) just not seeing anything that jumps out at me, and they all look the same at this point. am I missing something? any recommendations from experience? any info is appreciated, thanks in advance :gn

LostAbbott 09-07-2011 04:30 PM

Re: Looking for rifle suggestions.

I have no idea what to suggest. All of my rifles are pretty old. I do however love my .338 falling block. It is single shot so might not fit your requirements, but it is definitely different...

http://i.imgur.com/BXQbo.jpg

Lear31MX 09-07-2011 04:57 PM

might want to check into Weatherby Vanguard line. Good rifles I have 22-250 that is a great shotting rifle. Or if you want to spend a bit more the Mark VI are nice to.

T.G 09-07-2011 05:08 PM

How about a BFG-9000?

Lear31MX 09-07-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1401115)
How about a BFG-9000?

:D love that game

shilala 09-07-2011 05:33 PM

Are you going to be shooting in the woods, brush, or in the fields?

bobarian 09-07-2011 05:37 PM

Go big or go home! :banger

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6...rettm82a1y.jpg

rharris 09-07-2011 05:39 PM

C.Z. Safari or american. Nicest rifles for the price on the market.

Fordman4ever 09-07-2011 05:43 PM

I love my Remington 7MM Mag. Great rifle.

rrplasencia 09-07-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1401135)

if I could afford the Barrett bmg I'd be posting pics of me smoking mojotos and Dom perignons mowing the yard. it's a beautiful gun, and I would love to blow a 8" exit wound out of an elk or grizzle at 1000 yards but way too much $$$$$,

Old Sailor 09-07-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1401135)

:tu:r

Barcode 09-07-2011 06:43 PM

Look at the Savage Arms Line

designwise1 09-07-2011 10:00 PM

I'd recommend a 280 over a 7mm Mag. It's just more versatile.

rrplasencia 09-08-2011 01:33 AM

guess I should include that I already have a 308 win, so I would want to go smaller then that.

Newbie_nick 09-08-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barcode (Post 1401227)
Look at the Savage Arms Line

2nd that... They provide a great rifle for the $$$. I bought an off-the-shelf Savage in .308, and it shoots nearly 1/2" groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.

Newbie_nick 09-08-2011 04:07 AM

Sorry...2nd post....

What are you looking to do with this rifle? What are you looking to hunt with it? That will help the caliber discussion.

rrplasencia 09-08-2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie_nick (Post 1401730)
Sorry...2nd post....

What are you looking to do with this rifle? What are you looking to hunt with it? That will help the caliber discussion.

long distance hunting/shooting. elk, mule deer, big horn sheep. probably not big enough caliber for bear or moose but shot placement could compensate for that.

0002S 09-08-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrplasencia (Post 1401734)
long distance hunting/shooting. elk, mule deer, big horn sheep. probably not big enough caliber for bear or moose but shot placement could compensate for that.

You're asking the classic sitting around the camp fire, "what rifle do I need to kill everything in N. America question?".

ALL modern 6.5mm/7mm/.30 cal cartridges will shoot accurately at those distances.

I DON'T ADVISE you shoot game at these distances unless you really know what you're doing. You're going to waste a ton of money on guided trips with no luck. Most guides will not let you shoot at game at those distances unless they really know that you're capable of doing so. If you wound the animal and loose it, it's as good as if you bagged it as far as payment is concerned. (hunting advise portion of post over)

I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it.

The reason for a 30 cal is that there are a large amount of bullet weights to choose from and elk will more reliable go down and stay down, at those distances, with 30 cal (imho). I also give you options for African plains game, black bear and moose.

I'd take (in order)

1. 300 WSM - because of overall versatility and short action (rifle weight)

2. 30.06 - this really is a great round and ammo is everywhere and cheap
3. .308 - see 300 WSM and have less recoil
4. 280 Rem - my favorite light 7mm
5. 270 Win - this has to be on the list, but it's not 'really' and elk cartridge. (although it will do it)
6. 7mm Mauser - deer/sheep/goat...DEAD and has very light recoil + can be put into a light rifle.
7. 7-08 - see 7 mm Mauser but not a 'sexy'

All of the above will kill elk (the largest of what you listed) and for that matter would kill a moose with a well placed shot and good bullet. If you're really not going to go elk hunting and this is just the "hunting dream rifle" (nothing wrong with that) then I'd go lighter with less recoil and get a light 7mm Mauser/280/7-08.

As far as "what rifle?". I'd get a stainless steel, composite 'what ever' you're able to cheek up and have a good locked in feel in the off hand and for-end rested standing rest positions. All the major manufactures standard-to-top end rifles will have smooth actions and quality builds. SAKO and Tikka are great. Browning is overprices (imho). Win Model 70 and Rem 700 are standards. Savage makes a nice price point product. Weatherby Vanguard is nice as well. Really it's a matter of what 'feels' right for you.

Good luck, this is a rabbit hole and you're about to go down it.

:cf1

BC-Axeman 09-08-2011 07:22 AM

I like Shawn's advice. I think I would switch the .308 and the 300 WSM because cost of ammo, but that's because I'm cheap.

I would add that you should shoulder, cycle and dry fire the rifles. Try standing and holding aim for a while to see how it handles. I've shot some rifles that were very accurate but had clumsy actions or clunky triggers or were uncomfortable to hold, or all the above. My Rem 700 has none of those problems.

QFT (100-300 yd N.A. hunting rifle):
"I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it."

AAlmeter 09-08-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0002S (Post 1401770)
You're asking the classic sitting around the camp fire, "what rifle do I need to kill everything in N. America question?".

ALL modern 6.5mm/7mm/.30 cal cartridges will shoot accurately at those distances.

I DON'T ADVISE you shoot game at these distances unless you really know what you're doing. You're going to waste a ton of money on guided trips with no luck. Most guides will not let you shoot at game at those distances unless they really know that you're capable of doing so. If you wound the animal and loose it, it's as good as if you bagged it as far as payment is concerned. (hunting advise portion of post over)

I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it.

The reason for a 30 cal is that there are a large amount of bullet weights to choose from and elk will more reliable go down and stay down, at those distances, with 30 cal (imho). I also give you options for African plains game, black bear and moose.

I'd take (in order)

1. 300 WSM - because of overall versatility and short action (rifle weight)

2. 30.06 - this really is a great round and ammo is everywhere and cheap
3. .308 - see 300 WSM and have less recoil
4. 280 Rem - my favorite light 7mm
5. 270 Win - this has to be on the list, but it's not 'really' and elk cartridge. (although it will do it)
6. 7mm Mauser - deer/sheep/goat...DEAD and has very light recoil + can be put into a light rifle.
7. 7-08 - see 7 mm Mauser but not a 'sexy'

All of the above will kill elk (the largest of what you listed) and for that matter would kill a moose with a well placed shot and good bullet. If you're really not going to go elk hunting and this is just the "hunting dream rifle" (nothing wrong with that) then I'd go lighter with less recoil and get a light 7mm Mauser/280/7-08.

As far as "what rifle?". I'd get a stainless steel, composite 'what ever' you're able to cheek up and have a good locked in feel in the off hand and for-end rested standing rest positions. All the major manufactures standard-to-top end rifles will have smooth actions and quality builds. SAKO and Tikka are great. Browning is overprices (imho). Win Model 70 and Rem 700 are standards. Savage makes a nice price point product. Weatherby Vanguard is nice as well. Really it's a matter of what 'feels' right for you.

Good luck, this is a rabbit hole and you're about to go down it.

:cf1

:tpd:

I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 30-06 and I love it. It is one hell of a gun with a super smooth action.