Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Golf problem, What would you recomend? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30406)

Commander Quan 03-30-2010 11:56 AM

Golf problem, What would you recomend?

I don't play golf that often, but in the summer months I usually play 3 -5 times a month. I am relatively new to the game and got my first set of clubs 2 years ago, and only bought a set because I was in a outing and I'm left handed so I couldn't borrow anyone else's clubs. The set I ended up buying was a $300 set from Dicks, so I know they aren't the best clubs but they serve the purpose.

My issue is with my driver. I have a slice that is off the charts. The ball travels about 75 yards straight out, and then make a 90 degree turn to the left and goes another 100 of so yards. I don't use my fairway woods enough to know if The slice is as bad with them, but I know it isn't an issue with my hybrids or my irons. All I want it to correct the slice off the tee box. It really is no fun having to play off the fairway 1 or 2 over from the one that I'm supposed to be on.

Now what would you recommend? Either having my swing analyzed on a machine and buying a new driver that suits my swing style or taking lessons or correct this? I know that I have a high swing speed and am wondering if the graphite shaft on the driver needs to be stiffer or I need a more closed head on the driver. I am just worried that if I pay for lessons they pro will only be able to help me so much because my equipment is not correct for me, or I buy a new drive and it still doesn't help because my swing is way off? Ideally I should probably do both but I am not able to spend a couple hundred on a driver and then a couple hundred more for lessons from a Pro.

ade06 03-30-2010 12:09 PM

Re: Golf problem, What would you recomend?

I would take a lesson. It could be as simple as changing your grip...

It's too hard to say why your slicing your driver without seeing your swing. Also, if your fairly new to the game, you may want to consider hitting your 3 wood off the tee anyways. Since the shaft is shorter and the club face has more loft, it will likely be easier to hit than your driver anyways. A 220 yard in the middle of the fairway is a lot better than a 250 yard drive O.B. or in the woods. Regarding your equipment, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it's cavity backed (which i'm sure it is) you should be fine. If, however, you are tall (over 6'2") or short (under 5'8"), then your equipment will likely need to be adjusted. But, even if your tall or short, the equipment alone shouldn't cause the slice. I definitly would not go out an buy a new driver to "fix" a slice.

NCRadioMan 03-30-2010 12:12 PM

Aim far right and let the ball drift back into the fairway. Time and practice can help the slice be not as bad.

You could also put the ball in the front portion of your stance.

jmsremax 03-30-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 810797)

You could also put the ball in the front portion of your stance.

I tend to do this with my long irons.

azcards83 03-30-2010 12:17 PM

If youve only been playing a short time the best idea is to get lessons. They should be able to get you straightened out before your swing is fully committed to memory.

azcards83 03-30-2010 12:18 PM

And its not the shaft. Even if you had one that was too soft or whippy for you it wouldnt be that dramatic. Also it would be inconsistent and would hook it sometimes also.

ade06 03-30-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsremax (Post 810801)
I tend to do this with my long irons.

I agree. I alway hit my driver with the ball positioned just inside of my front foot. I normally would also agree with aiming way right and playing with the game you have, but if the ball is only advancing 75 yards forward, I'd hit another club (even an iron) off the tee.

Parshooter 03-30-2010 12:21 PM

Lessons are the best thing a beginner can spend money on. Best not to get into bad habits early.
Second, put the driver in the garage. Tee off with a 3 or even 5 wood. You won't lose that much distance and the chances of keeping it in play are much better with a higher lofted club.

shilala 03-30-2010 12:22 PM

We used to sponsor a golf tourney for Relay For Life. I always took my video stuff and recorded guy's swings so the pro could analyze them. It's fun, and it helped a lot of guy's games. I'm sure a lot of guys would look at your videos, too. :tu

tsolomon 03-30-2010 12:40 PM

I would get a lesson or two and let the golf pro correct the problem. The driver is most unforgiving club to hit and any small mistakes will be magnified. Try teeing off with a 3 or 5 wood and see if that helps to reduce the fade. The usual cause is that the club head isn't square as you impact the ball which puts a spin on it that causes the power fade. I'm not a fan of adjusting your stance to correct for the problem by playing the fade as you could end up teeing into trouble and watching the ball go straight for a change. It could be in your stance, grip or swing and a golf pro can look at that and make the adjustment.

Commander Quan 03-30-2010 01:00 PM

Alright sounds like I should call for some lessons.

kaisersozei 03-30-2010 01:04 PM

I would echo the advice about lessons, adjusting the direction of your stance, and teeing off with the 3 or 5 wood. I don't think I touched my driver for years when I first started playing. In fact, I still pull out my 5 wood on the tee when I get nervous about a hole.

For the longest time, I played 18 holes using just 4 clubs & a putter. And my retractable ball retriever. :ss

mhailey 03-30-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 810783)
Either having my swing analyzed on a machine and buying a new driver that suits my swing style or taking lessons or correct this?

It is always the arrow and never the Indian. Buy more clubs, and more clubs, and more clubs till you find the arrow that works. (or take lessons and learn to use the arrow that you have). I vote for lessons.

Matt

nayslayer 03-30-2010 01:07 PM

Yeah, i wish i got lessons way back when...

Razorhog 03-30-2010 01:21 PM

No doubt a lesson or three will be worth your while.

bobarian 03-30-2010 01:56 PM

Golf problem, What would you recomend?

Tennis???:D

OK, Seriously. Try checking with some of the local Muni's as their pros usually have a bit lower rates. Also, try the local Junior or Community college. They often have classes that are very inexpensive. :2

MikeyC 03-30-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhailey (Post 810864)
It is always the arrow and never the Indian. Buy more clubs, and more clubs, and more clubs till you find the arrow that works. (or take lessons and learn to use the arrow that you have). I vote for lessons.

Matt

:tpd:

My dad throws all kind of money at his golf game. He's constantly buying new clubs and taking lessons. The problem is he doesn't PRACTICE.

My advice to you . . . take some lessons and practice what you learn. It's just like being in school. If you go to class but don't study you won't commit what you learned to memory. I think golf just like any other sport requires a lot of practice to be good at. Of course, you need to take some lessons first because you need to practice doing the right things.

captain53 03-30-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 810783)
I don't play golf that often, but in the summer months I usually play 3 -5 times a month. I am relatively new to the game and got my first set of clubs 2 years ago, and only bought a set because I was in a outing and I'm left handed so I couldn't borrow anyone else's clubs. The set I ended up buying was a $300 set from Dicks, so I know they aren't the best clubs but they serve the purpose.

My issue is with my driver. I have a slice that is off the charts. The ball travels about 75 yards straight out, and then make a 90 degree turn to the left and goes another 100 of so yards. I don't use my fairway woods enough to know if The slice is as bad with them, but I know it isn't an issue with my hybrids or my irons. All I want it to correct the slice off the tee box. It really is no fun having to play off the fairway 1 or 2 over from the one that I'm supposed to be on.

Now what would you recommend? Either having my swing analyzed on a machine and buying a new driver that suits my swing style or taking lessons or correct this? I know that I have a high swing speed and am wondering if the graphite shaft on the driver needs to be stiffer or I need a more closed head on the driver. I am just worried that if I pay for lessons they pro will only be able to help me so much because my equipment is not correct for me, or I buy a new drive and it still doesn't help because my swing is way off? Ideally I should probably do both but I am not able to spend a couple hundred on a driver and then a couple hundred more for lessons from a Pro.

Professional Lessons - Nothing else works, can't be fixed by a club but only by a swing correction.:banger

jmsremax 03-31-2010 06:59 AM

Supposed to be near 80 in MA this weekend.....I will definitely be at the range this weekend if not on the course :ss

Volt 03-31-2010 07:10 AM

Driver??? The only club the courses I play on is the putter. Of course with a par 2 or 3, not much need for a driver :D