Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nub Cammie (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5548)

VirtualSmitty 12-04-2008 03:21 PM

Nub Cammie

BoobyRitz included a Nub Cameroon cigar in my winnings from a baseball bet awile back. I had only ever smoked a Nub Habano, which wasn't that great, so of course, among all the other cigars, I reached for the Nub first.

Where to start. Unlike the last Nub I smoked, it wasn't the size of a dwarf cack. It was still a bit too big, 54 RG or so. Construction seemed ok, though I had a hard time jamming it into my Palio for the cut.

After cutting I lit up and wow. Tart, tinny, sickly sweet, and something that tasted like soggy wood. Complex, but in all the wrong ways. My eyes teared, my nose burned, and I had to suppress the immediate urge to vomit.

After that first ungodly bad 1/2 inch the cigar settled down and all that was left was the tinny taste. perhaps my taste buds were on sensory overload from the first couple of buffs, but it went from repulsive to just bad. It's like Sam was trying to capture the sweet spot of Fighting **** or a Cremosa or something.

Towards the end of the Nub (the nub of the Nub?) it picked up and started showing sharp woody and dirt flavors. I was wondering to myself why I was even still smoking it at this point and tossed it. It was terrible, not even three beers and four pieces of pizza could purge my mouth of the foul taste.

I will say, that smoking this made me realize that I enjoy too many good cigars. Every once in awhile it's worth it to smoke something so foul just to remind you to be appreciative of the regular stuff your lucky to have. Sorta bring you back down to earth. I could pull out the worst stick in my cab and it would still be more enjoyable then this Nub.

:usa

Da Klugs 12-04-2008 03:30 PM

Re: Nub Cammie

Honest opinion is what these forums are all about. Maybe it was a "financial" sweet spot that was referred to. :rolleyes: Personally, I'm a fan of the wrappers contribution to flavor. It is so wildly skewed to a smaller proportion in such a large RG cigar that I start out with a bad expectation on these. Then there is the actual smoking experience. :ss

pnoon 12-04-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 101111)
My eyes teared, my nose burned, and I had to suppress the immediate urge to vomit.

Gotta love dem Nubs. :rolleyes:

Way to take one for the team, Joe.

VirtualSmitty 12-04-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Klugs (Post 101141)
Honest opinion is what these forums are all about. Maybe it was a "financial" sweet spot that was referred to. :rolleyes: Personally, I'm a fan of the wrappers contribution to flavor. It is so wildly skewed to a smaller proportion in such a large RG cigar that I start out with a bad expectation on these. Then there is the actual smoking experience. :ss

Indeed. I have to agree Dave, given the ungodly RG I doubt it matters what they wrap it with. I didn't get any cammie flavor like you would on AF Hemi or la Unica. All I could taste was the foul toilet paper filler they used to stuff it with :pu

Da Klugs 12-04-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 101147)
Indeed. I have to agree Dave, given the ungodly RG I doubt it matters what they wrap it with. I didn't get any cammie flavor like you would on AF Hemi or la Unica. All I could taste was the foul toilet paper filler they used to stuff it with :pu

Yup. Filler, binder and wrapper are components that the artisans use to craft a good smoke. There are many things that if you mess with the proportions of their component parts too extremely, produce undesirable results even if there was good binder and filler in these.

For instance:

Put 5 times as much hot fudge in a hot fudge sundae and you get a Lil melted nugget of ice cream in the middle of fudge.

Triple the Triple Sec in a Kamikaze and you get .... paint remover vs a shot.

Take a ham sandwich and put a whole head of lettuce with it and you get .... a chefs salad, which while still good is a different thing... OK maybe not the best analogy. :)

Skywalker 12-04-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Klugs (Post 101174)
Yup. Filler, binder and wrapper are components that the artisans use to craft a good smoke. There are many things that if you mess with the proportions of their component parts too extremely, produce undesirable results even if there was good binder and filler in these.

For instance:

Put 5 times as much hot fudge in a hot fudge sundae and you get a Lil melted nugget of ice cream in the middle of fudge.

Triple the Triple Sec in a Kamikaze and you get .... paint remover vs a shot.

Take a ham sandwich and put a whole head of lettuce with it and you get .... a chefs salad, which while still good is a different thing... OK maybe not the best analogy. :)

Hmmm??? :hm

BTW - Great and honest review!!!

The Professor 12-04-2008 04:19 PM

I was literally laughing out loud, Joe. Wow. :r

pnutbutrsangwich 12-05-2008 01:45 PM

Haha Nice review, Joe! This ranks up there with that RGCE review you did over the summer!

greenwit 12-06-2008 09:38 PM

LOL. Wow. To me, the Nubs if anything lack excitement. I like the Habanos fine and the Cammies less so.....the flavors in both lines seem rounded and somewhat muted IMO. I haven't had an offensive Nub yet. On the other hand, there isn't anything there that makes me want run and and buy more (I think I've got a handful left in my humi.) Now, if you want to taste something offensive that is Nub-like, fire up a 5 Vegas Knuckle! :pu