Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Phishing bad (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74679)

markem 12-13-2018 03:10 PM

Phishing bad

Well, it’s almost time for another year to begin, so that will mean a lot of new smokers who are anxious to learn all about our art. Unfortunately, it will also signal a time when the scammers come out of the woodwork. Between the old CS board and here, we’ve probably seen them all. I thought that this might be a good place to enshrine some of the better or even more stupid fishing scams to help the newer members recognize when they should be more cautious.

Sometimes, the fishing is done without knowing that they are violating a lot of social norms. While it may be okay to beg a stick at a lounge (not any that I go to), it is poor form to do so online. There are even tried and true ways that SEEM to not be fishing that usually are and some well-meaning people use the phrasing without understanding the indifference or even hostility that they provoke.

Things like:

I’m new and can only afford a few singles. I so wish that someone would share some good sticks with me so that I don’t waste my money.

I really like cigars and I know that I just joined, but lost my job so will have to give up cigars, I guess.

There is only one crappy place near me to buy cigars and I would travel farther to get good sticks if only I knew which ones were good.

Wow, I hope to be able to afford a cigar like that some day.

And some of us remember the scammer who, perhaps way back at CS, posted about a fire at their place and so they not only lost all the cigars but also the Xmas presents and regular clothes for the kids. Took some here in law enforcement to reveal this scam but by then the person had made off with a lot of donations (clothes, money, cigars) and were never seen again.

We all want to help push new people down the slope and cigar people are nothing if not generous to a fault, but let’s post some of our experiences with scammers in order to help others to be aware and also to help new members avoid coming across as scammers.

AdamJoshua 12-13-2018 04:38 PM

Re: Phishing bad

If i could be so bold to add....

Paraphrasing here:

“My wife posted that not me, guys!” I think we remember that plea for smokes here!

“I was moving and the box with my smokes must have fallen off on the highway...”

Good times, good times indeed!

justify-content 12-13-2018 04:55 PM

I think so, too.

Tio Gato 12-13-2018 05:18 PM

I always wonder about noobs posting a picture of their new empty humi. Then commenting "what should I stock it with?". Personally my peeve is with guys helping themselves to my travel humi without asking. The bums always swipe the most expensive smokes.

And I agree, good times indeed.

Sauer Grapes 12-13-2018 05:31 PM

Ah... I remember the fire scam. Don’t recall all the details, but I remember.

Wharf Rat 12-13-2018 06:05 PM

Well, perhaps times have changed, but we used to call that mooching. One of the infamous mooches went by the name, “Jim the Newbie.” Whenever someone mentioned a cigar, he’d post, “Gee, I never had one of those.” It was funny for a while.

Now, here’s a true story. I met Jim a couple of times at JR stores in NC. One time, we were walking around and I saw a candela cigar and without thinking said that I had never had one of those. Jim immediately bought one and gave it to me. That’s right - I mooched Jim the Newbie!

Chainsaw13 12-13-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat (Post 2165158)
Well, perhaps times have changed, but we used to call that mooching. One of the infamous mooches went by the name, “Jim the Newbie.” Whenever someone mentioned a cigar, he’d post, “Gee, I never had one of those.” It was funny for a while.

Now, here’s a true story. I met Jim a couple of times at JR stores in NC. One time, we were walking around and I saw a candela cigar and without thinking said that I had never had one of those. Jim immediately bought one and gave it to me. That’s right - I mooched Jim the Newbie!

Ah, JtN. Herfed with him many times in Nola. Like you said, he’s actually very generous. I remember the time he gave Carlito Fuente a Golden Gator. Priceless!

T.G 12-13-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2165160)
I remember the time he gave Carlito Fuente a Golden Gator. Priceless!

Golden Gator? Is that sorta like a rusty trombone?

The camaro show 12-13-2018 07:03 PM

I can’t believe some of these lol

gomeitsmybday 12-13-2018 07:17 PM

Yeah I’m with T.G., what’s a Golden Gator?
:po

Fig_Nasty 12-13-2018 07:25 PM

Sooooo funny you guys should mention this, because my house burned down with my stacked humidor of pre embargos, limited releases, and anniversary sticks. PLUS the cigar shop I usually buy at closed down due to fire as well. Any donations would be much appreciated considering the time of year. Sorry, my wife made me do it.

https://postimg.cc/Wqm9yY91

Wharf Rat 12-13-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday (Post 2165170)
Yeah I’m with T.G., what’s a Golden Gator?
:po

It was a dog rocket brand that folks passed around as a joke. Although somewhere, there was a newbie who thought they were really good.

xFreebirdx 12-13-2018 07:42 PM

If anyone will front me a box of Power Rangers I will gladly pay you on Tuesday. :)

https://www.lorralaughstheclown.com/...g?u=3715209957

Drez 12-13-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fig_Nasty (Post 2165171)
Sooooo funny you guys should mention this, because my house burned down with my stacked humidor of pre embargos, limited releases, and anniversary sticks. PLUS the cigar shop I usually buy at closed down due to fire as well. Any donations would be much appreciated considering the time of year. Sorry, my wife made me do it.

https://postimg.cc/Wqm9yY91

Mods ban this newbie please. He’s obviously a scammer and up to no good :gary

gomeitsmybday 12-13-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat (Post 2165174)
It was a dog rocket brand that folks passed around as a joke. Although somewhere, there was a newbie who thought they were really good.

Lmao that is an excellent story! I’ll be awaiting the “Opus X: Golden Dog Rocket Edicion” release!

Porch Dweller 12-13-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2165150)
If i could be so bold to add....

Paraphrasing here:

“My wife posted that not me, guys!” I think we remember that plea for smokes here!

“I was moving and the box with my smokes must have fallen off on the highway...”

Good times, good times indeed!

I remember that one. I was pretty new to the forum so kept my mouth shut at the time. But if I shook my head any harder I might have needed to see a chiropractor. :rolleyes:

The camaro show 12-13-2018 09:16 PM

I heard of one that one guy moved from Florida to Alaska and left his humidor full of Cubans at his old house and wanted to know if anyone wanted to lend him a few lol

CigarNut 12-14-2018 08:31 AM

I ran out of cigars... Please send me some. Especially Padrons and Cubans, please!

icehog3 12-14-2018 09:05 AM

Can't see the forest through the trees.

Whipper Snapper 12-14-2018 09:13 AM

But fishing is good.