Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

irratebass 12-04-2012 10:54 AM

Re: What are you reading?

Bag Of Bones by Stephen King

jledou 12-05-2012 09:06 AM

Finished up Paradox, The Nine Greatest Enigmas in Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. Interesting read.

MajorCaptSilly 12-05-2012 09:30 AM

"Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal"

It's riveting.....

MCS

shilala 12-05-2012 09:30 AM

I'm reading the Morningstar Trilogy by Z.A. Recht right now. It's a trio of Zombie books. One down, I started the second one last night.
On December 26th the 3rd installment of J.L. Bourne's series of Zombie books, Day by Day Armageddon comes out. I'm excited about that one. I like that series a lot better.

When I'm done with those, I'm going to force myself to read Uncle Tom's Cabin. Then I have another Civil War book waiting. It's about Lincoln and his political adversaries. I'll see how that one goes. :tu

timj219 12-05-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 1759715)
Finished up Paradox, The Nine Greatest Enigmas in Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. Interesting read.

That looks good. I think I'll give it a shot.

elderboy02 12-05-2012 06:52 PM

Finished: Survival 101: The Essential Guide to Saving Your Own Life in a Disaster

BSB 12-05-2012 09:17 PM

Almost thru with the Bible, doing it in one year.
"The Bookman's Wake" by John Dunning, the 2nd in the Cliff Janeway series. This copy is a 1st edition in pretty decent condition.

rebelknight 12-05-2012 11:05 PM

Wish you well by David baldacci

CigarNut 12-06-2012 08:10 PM

Gone Tomorrow (A Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child

BSB 12-06-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 1760776)
Gone Tomorrow (A Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child

Love Lee Child's Reacher series. Heard recently, that Tom Cruise will play Reacher in the upcoming movie, WTF?? here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_%28film%29

CigarNut 12-06-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1760809)
Love Lee Child's Reacher series. Heard recently, that Tom Cruise will play Reacher in the upcoming movie, WTF?? here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_%28film%29

Heard the same thing; the movie comes out in a little over two weeks.

Cruise does not look anything like Reacher -- which many have complained about -- but I will still see the movie anyway. Cruise is a good action actor and it will be a good mindless flick :)

pnoon 12-06-2012 10:39 PM

What a piss poor job of casting. Did they not read ANY of the books?

I saw the TV trailer for the movie and it looks cheesy. A shame since the books are engaging.

CigarNut 12-07-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1760832)

I saw the TV trailer for the movie and it looks cheesy. A shame since the books are engaging.

You are right Peter, and I agree. I think Cruise is the producer and chose the role for himself. He probably sees himself looking like Jack Reacher...

I am sure it's cheesy, but I'm all about some cheesy every now and then... :)

The books are a little too engaging -- find it hard to wait between finishing one and starting the next... :rolleyes:

Gophernut 12-07-2012 07:27 AM

Jack Reacher 6' 5"
Tom Cruise 5' 7"
WTF :sh

I've been reading the Prey series by John Sanford. I like that they are mostly set in the Twin Cities since I know the geography of the area. Currently on Broken Prey.

BSB 12-07-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 1760903)
Jack Reacher 6' 5"
Tom Cruise 5' 7"

I've been reading the Prey series by John Sanford. I like that they are mostly set in the Twin Cities since I know the geography of the area. Currently on Broken Prey.

If you read farther down in my link, you will find that Child is quite pleased with the choice of Cruise for the role. Go figure, but if it's good enough for Lee, it's good enough for me. I will see the movie.
The Prey series was a little too graphic violence for me when I tried it years back. But, like you, I'm from the TC and enjoy knowing the settings. I may have to give it another try. That series would fill my winter of reading, and can be found cheap, second hand :tu

gettysburgfreak 12-07-2012 05:22 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mens self help guide? Im looking for a book that touches on aspects of being a man and how one can improve himself and daily life.

Tallman 12-07-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

What Peter said. I like Reacher. I like Tom Cruise. (Or his acting, anyway). I just don't think those two go together. We shall see.

Tallman 12-07-2012 06:19 PM

And I just finished "the Racketeer" by John Grisham. Pretty good read. Not life-altering, but it kept my attention.

RevSmoke 12-08-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 1760903)
Jack Reacher 6' 5"
Tom Cruise 5' 7"

Said the same thing about casting Willem Dafoe as John Clark from Clancy's Clear and Present danger. John Clark is this imposing physical presence, 6'3" and big. Dafoe is a great actor, can do the prenatrating stare and such - but he isn't the physically imposing figure that is John Clark.

But hey, which movie ever gets the book or even the comic, right - for that matter - gets even close?

SpruceBruce 12-08-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 1761166)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a mens self help guide? Im looking for a book that touches on aspects of being a man and how one can improve himself and daily life.

http://store.artofmanliness.com/prod...the-modern-man

The site is pretty great too.