Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "V" Cut vs. Flat Cut (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72010)

BlackDog 09-09-2016 04:18 PM

"V" Cut vs. Flat Cut

For those who use them, why do you prefer a "V" cut to a flat cut? I can't recall ever smoking a "V" cut cigar. I think I'd like to try it, and know my local B&M has a "V" cutter to use. Just curious what opinions are on them. I still have many cigars from the Big Sale of 2008 that have tight draws, and am wondering if a "V" cut may help open them up.

T.G 09-09-2016 04:27 PM

Re: "V" Cut vs. Flat Cut

I never noticed much of a difference between the two other than v-cuts seemed to tar up more, but were less likely to cause the wrapper to unravel

AdamJoshua 09-09-2016 04:45 PM

Never really liked the V cut for some reason, call it mouth feel.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/52330373.jpg

I actually like to use a punch now and then though.

heyferg 09-09-2016 06:16 PM

I use the V cut every now and then to mix things up, but I don't really notice a difference.

Ogre 09-09-2016 06:31 PM

I will use the Vcut or punch for larger ring sizes, all others I go flat

Ripplingh2o 09-09-2016 09:31 PM

With my minimal experience I prefer the V-cut because more of the cap is retained & I seem to get a better bite on the cigar. Of the two V-cutters, I much prefer the one with the inverted blades since it cuts significantly more clean & crisp. Resulting draw is just as good as a flat cut and if I want it open more I can cut a second "V" which becomes a + or X cut.

T.G 09-10-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripplingh2o (Post 2100883)
Of the two V-cutters, I much prefer the one with the inverted blades since it cuts significantly more clean & crisp. Resulting draw is just as good as a flat cut and if I want it open more I can cut a second "V" which becomes a + or X cut.

Very true, the Xikar/Wolf v-cutters cutters where the cut starts at the base of the triangle / tip of the cap and progresses inward towards the apex (vs starting at the apex and cutting outward) do tend to be much cleaner cuts.

ujponds 09-10-2016 11:27 AM

I have a table top cutter with 2 flat cut options and 2 v cut options, I almost always use the smaller v cut. To me it seems like it gives an easier pull and they seem to burn more evenly. :2

Ripplingh2o 09-10-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2100902)
Very true, the Xikar/Wolf v-cutters...

Didn't know if I should identify manufacturers, but my Xikar V-cutter is superb!
-(P

T.G 09-10-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripplingh2o (Post 2100918)
Didn't know if I should identify manufacturers, but my Xikar V-cutter is superb!
-(P

No problem with mentioning manufacturers or non-Cuban cigar vendors here, unlike many other boards, no sponsorship/advertisements are accepted here.

AdamJoshua 09-10-2016 01:10 PM

So my real question here would be is the V cut any different on a cigar with a TC, how does a cigar with TC hold up against one without, I'm assuming they are fairly close?

T.G 09-10-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2100925)
So my real question here would be is the V cut any different on a cigar with a TC, how does a cigar with TC hold up against one without, I'm assuming they are fairly close?

Triple Cap?

I never noticed any difference.

RevSmoke 09-10-2016 04:33 PM

I really like my punch cut, but that wasn't the question.

bmayyy 09-13-2016 07:49 AM

As stated above, I use a V cut to change things up or on larger ring gauges.

tsolomon 09-13-2016 09:30 AM

I like a V cut with smaller RG cigars and I will often use it on larger RG cigars that have a tight draw after making a straight cut. :2

Cigar Fan 29 10-07-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsolomon (Post 2101140)
I like a V cut with smaller RG cigars and I will often use it on larger RG cigars that have a tight draw after making a straight cut. :2

You could easily avoid having to do that additional V cut by using the PerfecDraw -- far more effective too.

icehog3 10-07-2016 10:36 PM

If you are referring to the Shuriken, I have used it, and I was not impressed. :2

pnoon 10-07-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2103575)
If you are referring to the Shuriken, I have used it, and I was not impressed. :2

:tpd:

Just a marketing gimmick.

Cigar Fan 29 10-08-2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

No idea what a Shuriken is. It is the PerfecDraw. Google it.

Porch Dweller 10-08-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigar Fan 29 (Post 2103582)
No idea what a Shuriken is. It is the PerfecDraw. Google it.

What you're referring to is the Shuriken PerfectDraw. You may also feel free to Google it.

You should head to the New Members section and post an introduction to let us know a little about you. Because - speaking only for myself - it's a bit odd that you joined us last night and have made three posts, all of them advocating the SHURIKEN PerfectDraw.

AdamJoshua 10-08-2016 09:52 AM

Hey don't piss him off, I was hoping to get a discount on one. :lv

Cigar Fan 29 10-08-2016 11:11 AM

I just Googled Shuriken Perfect Draw and found it. That isn't even close to what I mentioned. There is no "t" in PerfecDraw, and it's all one word. I took your advice and googled the Shuriken. Please take my advice and Google PerfecDraw. You'll see the huge difference.

If you're going to count my posts, just count the ones where I comment -- replying to your comments doesn't count! LOL!

Anyway, yes, I'll try to find the new members section you suggested. Thanks.

Porch Dweller 10-08-2016 11:24 AM

Sorry and thanks for the clarification, I found the site. Google kept trying to force the results to be for "perfect draw". So it's not a cutter, it's basically a drawpoker with a small drill bit at the point. An interesting concept.

Cigar Fan 29 10-08-2016 11:45 AM

Hey Porch Dweller -- thanks for directing me to the new guys area. I started a thread, but I wanted to post some photos. But it asked me for a URL. My photos are on my computer. Is there a way for me to post photos from my computer files?

Thanks.

Porch Dweller 10-08-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigar Fan 29 (Post 2103618)
Hey Porch Dweller -- thanks for directing me to the new guys area. I started a thread, but I wanted to post some photos. But it asked me for a URL. My photos are on my computer. Is there a way for me to post photos from my computer files?

Thanks.

If you look at the upper left of the web site you should see a link called "User CP". Click on that. When the next page opens up, look on the left side for "Pictures & Albums". That'll take you to the section of the site where you can upload pictures and then share them in posts.
I prefer to upload to Flickr and share the link from there.

Cigar Fan 29 10-08-2016 12:33 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Don Fernando 10-09-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

That thing didn't work at all. wasted 30 bucks on it, could have bought 4 great cigars for that money

icehog3 10-09-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 2103696)
That thing didn't work at all. wasted 30 bucks on it, could have bought 4 great cigars for that money

I got 2 or 3 of them for free. They are sitting in a drawer, don't wanna curse anyone else with them. :r

Cigar Fan 29 10-09-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2103713)
I got 2 or 3 of them for free. They are sitting in a drawer, don't wanna curse anyone else with them. :r

The PerfecDraw is entirely different. Took two years in engineering and manufacturing development. Long story.

Anyway, I'd really like your feedback. take a look at the videos at www.PerfecDraw.com.

It just launched, but there's already been a few video reviews. Those links are also on the site.

Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Rod

icehog3 10-09-2016 06:06 PM

Based on the videos, seems like it could be superior to the draw tool I use now. It has some ridges for cutting, but doesn't seem as intricate as yours, Rod.

mahtofire14 10-09-2016 08:49 PM

I use a V cut over a traditional cut on every standard cigar (non torpedo). I find it to be a much cleaner cut with minimal shredded tobacco ending up in your mouth. Doesn't affect flavor or draw for me. I have a large tabletop cutter with two regular cuts and two v cuts all inline with one blades. Just make sure you have a nice sharp blade, same as any other cutter.

Don Fernando 10-10-2016 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigar Fan 29 (Post 2103722)
The PerfecDraw is entirely different. Took two years in engineering and manufacturing development. Long story.

Anyway, I'd really like your feedback. take a look at the videos at www.PerfecDraw.com.

It just launched, but there's already been a few video reviews. Those links are also on the site.

Thanks.

Rod

my initial thought when I saw the video's on your site was "damn, what a missed opportunity in the design". You could have made it so much more versatile

MarkinAZ 10-17-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 2100864)
For those who use them, why do you prefer a "V" cut to a flat cut?

Pretty much has been the flat cut for me. Used a V cutter a couple of times at the local B&M, but have simply stayed with a flat cut. I have a punch cutter that I do use from time to time on the robustos for variety.

And, early on in the 90's, I'd use a number 8d carpenters nail for my "perfecdraw":tu;)

ky70 10-18-2016 01:13 PM

Up until a month ago, I've straight cut 95% of the time. When I did vcut, it was with a xikar and it does a decent job of cutting most cigars but the recess is somewhat shallow which sometimes leads to a v cut not deep enough on some cigars. No biggie, but it would require me to cut 2 or 3 times on some cigars to get the depth I want.

I picked up a Colibri v cutter about a month ago and now have been going with a v cut almost exclusively because I love the deep v the cutter gives and I have had great success with getting the right draw with one cut and have not had any wrappers damaged, even if somewhat dry.

OnePyroTec 10-22-2016 05:45 PM

I started smoking cigars in the 80's. I was always a typical flat cut kind of guy. Everywhere you went, you would be given a regular single blade flat cutter. I did try a bullet punch for a while, but everyone who borrowed it would tap out the cutting and ruin the blade!

Eventually I purchased a Xikar dual blade in the 90's and Marc gave me a Palio at a SoCal herf. Fast forward to today, my son has be gifted my original Xikar, my Palio cutter sits in my pick-up as back up (when I leave behind my V-Cutter) or loaner, and I use & have used for the last year or so a Xikar V-Cutter. Dion G. has a table top V-Cutter on his counter and I use it every time I go to Fumare in Reno....it got me hooked on V-Cuts so I purchased the Xikar V-Cut from him since I could not carry a table top cutter everywhere. YES, I use it on all sizes including Torps/Figurados.

edit for the offshoot part of the thread: I do not use a tool other than a trash can for a plugged cigar.

tsolomon 10-23-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 2105133)
edit for the offshoot part of the thread: I do not use a tool other than a trash can for a plugged cigar.

This is also my approach to plugged cigars. I have tried dry boxing for weeks/months and have used cigar drills and pokers with very little success. :2

Don Fernando 10-24-2016 03:23 AM

Quote:

Admiral ....

YOU ****ING JINXED ME!!!!!

I thought I got rid of my Shuriken, hadn't seen it for over a year and thought I gave it away. Just opened the bottom drawer of my desk, and what do I see? That $30 piece of useless crap! I blame you for mentioning it :sl

Yamasa 12-13-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Rod

I use a similar device that is a shop tool.
It is an oxy/acetylene torch tip cleaner hand held mini drill.
The bits are not as long, and it does not draw any tobacco out because I have only used it during the smoke, not before. It simply pushes a hole through the tobacco.

longknocker 12-13-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Rod

Just Ordered One. Will Post My Thoughts When I Use It A Few Times. Thanks!:tu

longknocker 12-23-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 2110473)
Just Ordered One. Will Post My Thoughts When I Use It A Few Times. Thanks!:tu

Used It, Tonite!:tu Different Than Other Draw Tools. Very Sharp & Well Made. Actually Pulls A Small Amount Of Tobacco From The Cigar & Opens Up The Draw Nicely. A "Winner", IMO.:tu

Yamasa 01-21-2017 05:00 PM

Especially when a far better option is a cutting torch tip cleaning drill tool. Hand held and comes with an assortment of interchangeable drill index sizes in the tool - the largest is probably 3/32".

Google those and they are quite cost effective as well as very clean - you don't pull tobacco out.