Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Yeungling (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7743)

Killjoy 01-09-2009 02:37 PM

Yeungling

Since I am out here in the southwest, we cant get yeungling here at all. people have tried to sneak it out here for me but to no avail. a cursory glance online comes up that I cant seem to find any retailers that ship it. Anyone else have any luck?? Or any ideas?

Mugen910 01-09-2009 02:40 PM

Re: Yeungling

IDK but we can't get it in the NorthEast either! I really enjoyed this beer when I spent some time in Fla...

feznuk 01-09-2009 03:05 PM

Can’t help with getting some to you, but I’ll be sure to drink a couple extra in your honor this weekend. Sunday around 1:00 might be a good time to uncap a few.:tu

AD720 01-09-2009 03:14 PM

I didn't know what I had until it was gone (ie the year I spent in AZ). Great beer and sorry to you guys who can't get it but I sort of hope it stays relatively limited to maintain the quality.

Footbag 01-09-2009 03:18 PM

I live 1hr from Pottstown. It's my goto brew. I'd be glad to help you out, but don't think I can ship beer, right?

I'm a bit surprised you guys have trouble getting it. It's on tap in NYC at a lot of places. I've personally seen it as far south as North Carolina, and as far north as they drink beer.

sawyer16v 01-09-2009 03:23 PM

Unfortunately 3/4 of the states have no access to it:

http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm

Pissed me off when I moved to Ohio and couldn't get it even though it's brewed in PA. I feel for ya

Killjoy 01-09-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footbag (Post 159747)
I live 1hr from Pottstown. It's my goto brew. I'd be glad to help you out, but don't think I can ship beer, right?

I'm a bit surprised you guys have trouble getting it. It's on tap in NYC at a lot of places. I've personally seen it as far south as North Carolina, and as far north as they drink beer.

North Caroline last year on vacation is when I had it. Drank alot of that and the magic hat stuff too...

Cigarcop 01-09-2009 03:26 PM

Pottstown...I know where that is :D

:eevis 01-09-2009 04:26 PM

Readily available here in upstate NY. First time I had it though was at a party about 10 years ago. The host drove into PA, about a 20 min trip luckily, in order to get a keg. But couldn't get it without going over the border until about 5 yrs ago. Great stuff

MikeyC 01-09-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footbag (Post 159747)

I'm no legal eagle, but I believe whether or not you can ship alcohol into a certain state depends on the laws within the state you are shipping it to. I know to ship alcohol into MA you have to have a MA distributor license. However, MA has some of the more strict alcohol related laws in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 159692)
IDK but we can't get it in the NorthEast either! I really enjoyed this beer when I spent some time in Fla...

Al brought some up for Vin when we had the BBQ HERF at Vin's house. Maybe next time he comes up he'll bring you a case if you're REAL nice to him. :D

I've always been curious about Yeungling. First because when the BOSTON Beer Company shut down in the 1960's Yeungling became the oldest brewery in the country. Second because they use corn to brew their beer. Using corn and rice (ingredients called adjuncts by brewers) really lowers the cost of brewing. So, I'm curious what effect that has on the flavor of the beer.

Sadly, we cannot get this beer in New England. :(

BroncoHorvath 01-09-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigarcop (Post 159760)
Pottstown...I know where that is :D

for some reason, I knew you would post on this subject;)

AD720 01-09-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 159834)
First because when the BOSTON Beer Company shut down in the 1960's Yeungling became the oldest brewery in the country.

I thought the Boston Beer Company (a/k/a Sam Adams) didn't open until the 1980's? The whole owner shops it bar to bar story, right?

I was under the impression that Yeungling was the oldest operating brewery in the country and Molsen was the oldest in North America.

longknocker 01-09-2009 04:48 PM

Ya'll need to move to Mobile! Great weather & All the Yuengling you want! Great beer!:tu

MikeyC 01-09-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD720 (Post 159854)
I thought the Boston Beer Company (a/k/a Sam Adams) didn't open until the 1980's? The whole owner shops it bar to bar story, right?

I was under the impression that Yeungling was the oldest continually operating brewery in the country and Molsen was the oldest in North America.

The name Boston Beer Co. went unused for about 20 years. It shut down in the 1960's. At that time, it was the oldest continuously operating beer company. When Jim Koch started up Sam Adams he recycled the name as an homage to local (Boston) beer history.

Not a lot of people know this but Boston was once the capitol of American beer brewing. In the year 1900, there were over 30 breweries in Boston which was more breweries per capita than any other city in the country at the time.

Cigarcop 01-09-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 159861)
Ya'll need to move to Mobile! Great weather & All the Yuengling you want! Great beer!:tu

Got a refrigerator full of it in the garage:dance:

AD720 01-09-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 159865)
The name Boston Beer Co. went unused for about 20 years. It shut down in the 1960's. At that time, it was the oldest continuously operating beer company. When Jim Koch started up Sam Adams he recycled the name as an homage to local (Boston) beer history.

Not a lot of people know this but Boston was once the capitol of American beer brewing. In the year 1900, there were over 30 breweries in Boston which was more breweries per capita than any other city in the country at the time.

That is interesting, I am a bit of a beer nerd and I've never heard that before. Do you have any more information, google is not turning anything up for me...

tenbaseg 01-09-2009 06:29 PM

I love me some Yeungling but you can't get it in CT either. I make the occasional trip to NJ and stock up on a few cases to bring back with me. Those last few beers are bitter sweet.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the bud american ale? It's not too far off from the Yeungling. I like it.

MikeyC 01-09-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD720 (Post 159927)
That is interesting, I am a bit of a beer nerd and I've never heard that before. Do you have any more information, google is not turning anything up for me...

In terms of the original Boston Beer Co?

AD720 01-09-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 160038)
In terms of the original Boston Beer Co?

Yes, exactly. I'm just curious to learn more about it. (bar trivia ;))

bigliver 01-09-2009 07:12 PM

One of my favorite beers when back East.