Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What influences your purchase of a new stick? (poll) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48432)

muhren 08-16-2011 11:03 AM

What influences your purchase of a new stick? (poll)

I was just thinking of this with all the new releases...

What influences your purchase decision when it's a stick you haven't tried yet?

Obviously the assumption here is that you've not tried them

I'm asking which is the MOST influential.

M

76GTFan 08-16-2011 11:08 AM

Re: What influences your purchase of a new stick? (poll)

I wish I could pick more than one. Forum reviews and history with the brand are my top two, but sometimes I just trust a random recommendation. I hate the Cain line, but decided to try the Daytona on a B&M recommendation. And I thought it was a very good cigar.

massphatness 08-16-2011 11:11 AM

I selected "trusted forum-user reviews" but it's not so much the reviews I read online, but rather discussions of new cigars among the guys I herf with or interact with online. They may not be reviews in the truest sense of the word, but I can relate to their experiences better as I have a feel for how their palettes may (or may not) be similar to mine.

irratebass 08-16-2011 11:12 AM

What Vin said, def.

Stephen 08-16-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1376986)
I wish I could pick more than one. Forum reviews and history with the brand are my top two

:tpd:

Bill86 08-16-2011 11:14 AM

Pretty much what Vin said, there's a few people I know who have a similar palette. If they give it a :tu I'll certainly try one-5 or maybe a box, depending on price.

Every now and then I'll dip into the youtube videos if I cannot find it here. More than once have they saved me from a crappy box.

Ashcan Bill 08-16-2011 11:14 AM

There are guys whose reviews I trust, and with similar tastes to my own, that I give the most credence to.

muhren 08-16-2011 11:18 AM

Word. I was thinking forum reviews as well but selected "my own history".

Having been around long enough, you start to notice folks who seem to enjoy what you like (similar pallets) and can use them as sort of guinea pigs/guides to the news sticks.

Nice input so far guys! :tu

M

CigarNut 08-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 1376988)
I selected "trusted forum-user reviews" but it's not so much the reviews I read online, but rather discussions of new cigars among the guys I herf with or interact with online. They may not be reviews in the truest sense of the word, but I can relate to their experiences better as I have a feel for how their palettes may (or may not) be similar to mine.

:tu

I did not select an option -- you need one that says "friend/BOTL recommendations".

irratebass 08-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1376996)
Pretty much what Vin said, there's a few people I know who have a similar palette. If they give it a :tu I'll certainly try one-5 or maybe a box, depending on price.

Every now and then I'll dip into the youtube videos if I cannot find it here. More than once have they saved me from a crappy box.

One more reason to love Youtube, I will have to do this more often.:tu

Blak Smyth 08-16-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1376986)
I wish I could pick more than one.

This!!!

I have to admit advertising does peak my interests, a label I have never heard of but looks attractive grabs my eye. A fellow BOTL recomendation. I have had bad luck with B&M owners and Sales Reps, I beleive I have just not been to a good one.
Now I just see a Maduro and my mouth starts watering doesn't mater who makes it!
I have purchased Tatuajes and Illusiones just because of you CA BOTLs!

Bill86 08-16-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1377011)
One more reason to love Youtube, I will have to do this more often.:tu

There can be some good videos, but some are purely AWFUL. You'll figure that one out :D

Everyone has their own opinion though.

thechrisdotcom 08-16-2011 01:29 PM

I went with best value/price of the stick. I like to find cigars that won't break the bank but still taste awesome for a good price.

Brickhouse for example. And the new Loyal from Torano will be a good one too, about 4.50 a stick.

kelmac07 08-16-2011 01:33 PM

Past experience from the brand seems to drive me back.

BC-Axeman 08-16-2011 01:44 PM

I wish I could have picked more than one answer.
How about "Someone gave me one and I liked it". Got me a few times.

bobarian 08-16-2011 01:59 PM

I like fancy bands. :banger

Emjaysmash 08-16-2011 02:32 PM

Hype. If its being talked about, I'm more likely to try it.

RevSmoke 08-16-2011 02:36 PM

What friends of mine (whose palate in comparison to mine is a known entity) say about a cigar is the first thing.

My own experience with a maker is the second thing.

Ogre 08-16-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

:tpd: what he said!!!

Skywalker 08-16-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

I'm with Vin on this one!:tu