Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Estate Pipes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62978)

badbriar 08-01-2013 07:17 PM

Estate Pipes

The idea of owning an estate "used" pipe is often an off putting idea to new pipe enthusiasts. So, what do you all think about estates and how many do you own???
Me... About 50 total pipes so far, all but my first three are estates!
Buying Estate pipes is a great way to own something that may not be currently made. One of mine is a Peterson Deluxe - no longer offered. One my best pipes. :tu
RR

Robulous78 08-01-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Estate Pipes

My Great Grandfather left a huge collection of pipes that I acquired this year...

Maybe because he is family, I wasn't overly turned off to the idea of smoking after him, a few salt treatments, a bit of magic eraser scrubbing on the stem, and they were good as new, I would like to get some purpose-made stem polish and bowl oil, but i found that car polish compound and virgin olive oil get the job done just fine...

BamBam 12-04-2013 06:42 PM

My personal collection has around 30 pipes or so. Not one of them was purchased new. You cannot beat the value of an estate pipe. That is just my preference, and as I refurb estate pipes all the time, I have gotten pretty good at bringing even the worst of estate pipes back to their original glory. If ghosting is a fear then salt treatments or a pipe retort is key. I personally use a pipe retort.

I think I have bought maybe 2 new out of the many I have owned over the years. I can't bring myself to pay the money anymore for a new one. It is the same for me when buying a car, as soon as it is driven off the lot it is used and the value drops, so I guess it is just how I do things.

WaRevo 08-30-2014 04:55 PM

I have 72 pipes well 73 if you count the one that after I cleaned and reamed had a long crack down the bowl you couldn't see from out side without knowing where it is on the inside. Out of them only 8 are new rest are Estate some Vintage. Love to collect pipes. Still have about 20 that needs a good clean/restore

jsnake 08-30-2014 09:30 PM

Dang. I was just looking at mine tonight and I have 5 pipes. Been hunting garage sales and antique shops for estate pipes but no luck. Everything I seem to like on eBay goes sky high. Would love to see some pics of your collections.

gravel 08-30-2014 11:33 PM

I have a smaller collection compared to some. I'd like to see a few pics as well!

baust55 08-31-2014 01:15 PM

I have about 15 estate pipes all under $10 from ebay ,many selling for much more .

I clean them inside and out with EverClear then a good polish and wax .

Amazing how an ugly old dingy pipe becomes a beautiful work of art with a little elbow grease.

WaRevo 08-31-2014 02:05 PM

Well I wasn't sure if you were asking to see my little collection or if it was meant to be posted for others that also said they had some pipes. So I have made a Thread with a few pictures of my little Collection. Didn't want to post it here as I didn't start the thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67630
James

nutcracker 08-31-2014 02:47 PM

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...pipe/?ALLSTEPS

jsnake 08-31-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaRevo (Post 1983745)
Well I wasn't sure if you were asking to see my little collection or if it was meant to be posted for others that also said they had some pipes. So I have made a Thread with a few pictures of my little Collection. Didn't want to post it here as I didn't start the thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67630
James

Appreciate the pics. Would love to see any other big collections as well.

mahtofire14 10-15-2014 04:42 AM

I'm relatively new to pipes and have a cob and a briar, and am now interested in looking into the estate side of pipe collecting. What pipes do you guys look for in estate pipes and what are some good qualities/types to look for in estate pipes?

Subvet642 10-15-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtofire14 (Post 1992778)
I'm relatively new to pipes and have a cob and a briar, and am now interested in looking into the estate side of pipe collecting. What pipes do you guys look for in estate pipes and what are some good qualities/types to look for in estate pipes?

I'm really new to it myself, but I simply look for a shape that I like that's in pretty good shape to begin with and comes from a company that I'm familiar with. For example, I've found I like French pipes because they tend to have smaller bowls. If you see a pipe you like, research the company a little, take a look at what they're making now.

DMK 10-15-2014 02:18 PM

5 estate, 8 new.
My estates started my.... collection and I bought the new ones to keep them company in the rack...:r
My estates were ones I wanted and couldn't afford or find new.
Only one 2 unsmoked.

badbriar 10-15-2014 06:50 PM

Check out this site; smokingpipes.com
They have new estates posted every Monday and Thursday around 3:40 pm. Need to check it out close to time when the post the new estates for the best buys. Not uncommon for the best buys to go within an hour. They have a great selection of tin and bulk pipe blends.

mahtofire14 10-15-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbriar (Post 1992926)
Check out this site; smokingpipes.com
They have new estates posted every Monday and Thursday around 3:40 pm. Need to check it out close to time when the post the new estates for the best buys. Not uncommon for the best buys to go within an hour. They have a great selection of tin and bulk pipe blends.

Thanks Rob.

rr_coyote 10-16-2014 04:50 PM

I bought several estate pipes from eBay a few years ago. Most were clean and smokeable. A few, not so much. But they're pretty sweet now after a little work.
It's not a huge hobby of mine, so I didn't feel like justifying buying new pipes. Other than cobs, anyways.

mahtofire14 10-17-2014 12:31 AM

Just nabbed a Gresham Giant estate pipe on eBay today for a steal. I havent heard much of this maker but I did find it was a seconds pipe made by Comoys. Anyone know any more about these pipes? I was clean and I liked the look so I pulled the trigger.

Subvet642 10-17-2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtofire14 (Post 1993191)
Just nabbed a Gresham Giant estate pipe on eBay today for a steal. I havent heard much of this maker but I did find it was a seconds pipe made by Comoys. Anyone know any more about these pipes? I was clean and I liked the look so I pulled the trigger.

From what I understand, even Comoy's seconds are supposed to be pretty nice. I've had my eye on a few on the "Bay.

mahtofire14 10-17-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1993204)
From what I understand, even Comoy's seconds are supposed to be pretty nice. I've had my eye on a few on the "Bay.

Well if that's the case that would be sweet. Paid 11.50 shipped.:rolleyes:

Subvet642 10-17-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtofire14 (Post 1993205)
Well if that's the case that would be sweet. Paid 11.50 shipped.:rolleyes:

Maybe we could see pictures when you're done?

BTW, does anyone know where I could pick-up a buffing wheel?