Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newb here, Just bought my first setup. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53056)

smitty81 02-02-2012 01:58 PM

Newb here, Just bought my first setup.

I've always enjoyed a good cigar but living in the middle of no where 180 miles from the nearest cigar shop makes it hard to enjoy a GOOD cigar.

SO, with that said, I decided to invest in a humidor so I can have my own stock pile.

Here's my setup. Art Deca 60 cigar humidor $119.00
http://www.miamicigarshop.com/assets...UMARTDECO1.jpg

Heartfelt beads
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...65%20small.jpg

and a digital Don Salvatore Hygrometer to replace the one it came with.
http://www.donsalvatore.net/images/229.jpg

Pretty excited here people. :banger

dwoodward 02-02-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Newb here, Just bought my first setup.

Welcome to the forums. Nice setup you will be on your way in no time.

Check out the Newbie Sampler Trade! (** LINK **) You will love it. :D

cjhalbrooks 02-02-2012 02:15 PM

very nice bro

NCRadioMan 02-02-2012 02:16 PM

Nice set-up! :tu

There is only one problem. If you hang out here with all of us sickos for any amount of time, you will fill it and need another in a month. Probably less. :lr

Welcome to CA! Be sure to go introduce yourself over in the New Inmate Processing Area. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:22 PM

Do you guys think I should silicone the glass before I season it or just leave it?

dwoodward 02-02-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1547499)
Do you guys think I should silicone the glass before I season it or just leave it?

Up to you. I would be more concerned with the Analog Hygrometer that came with it. Make sure you goop the crap outta that thing with silicone and stick it back in there nice and tight.

Then Scott (shilala) showed in a thread (Here) that you can successfully leak test with water buy filling up the humidor with distilled water to check for leaks. That's probably fool proof.

But if you're a handyman, the old fashioned strip it apart and seal it up good method should work.

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1547501)
Up to you. I would be more concerned with the Analog Hygrometer that came with it. Make sure you goop the crap outta that thing with silicone and stick it back in there nice and tight.

Then Scott (shilala) showed in a thread (Here) that you can successfully leak test with water buy filling up the humidor with distilled water to check for leaks. That's probably fool proof.

But if you're a handyman, the old fashioned strip it apart and seal it up good method should work.

I bought that digital hygrometer to replace it............

As for the silicone, I was just gonna run a small bead on the inside or outside, let it dry and call it good.

dwoodward 02-02-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1547503)
I bought that digital hygrometer to replace it............

Could work I suppose if you got a good seal and it gets it's readings from the back of the Hygrometer. But if it reads from the front, it might not work. Most people just leave the stock one in and set the Digital one on top so you can see it thru the glass.

SvilleKid 02-02-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1547494)
Nice set-up! :tu

There is only one problem. If you hang out here with all of us sickos for any amount of time, you will fill it and need another in a month. Probably less.
:lr

Welcome to CA! Be sure to go introduce yourself over in the New Inmate Processing Area. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Yep! And maybe go ahead and keep an eye out for a good deal on an Igloo chest cooler!:D

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1547507)
Could work I suppose if you got a good seal and it gets it's readings from the back of the Hygrometer. But if it reads from the front, it might not work. Most people just leave the stock one in and set the Digital one on top so you can see it thru the glass.

This is a replacement for the analog ones, just pops in place of it.

dwoodward 02-02-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1547512)
Yep! And maybe go ahead and keep an eye out for a good deal on an Igloo chest cooler!:D

Ain't that the truth... :r

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1547516)
I must not understand how this works I guess, How would any hygrometer get an accurate reading from outside the humidor?

It wouldn't I kinda screwed up my typing on that one. I meant to say it wouldn't work at all... lol

Don't get too bent out of shape about sealing it up right now. Sometimes the units have no leaks or very very small leaks. And if you don't mind your RH being down 1-2% then it might not be an issue for you.

chaase321 02-02-2012 02:43 PM

Oh no good bro...your gonna need bigger :r

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1547517)
Ain't that the truth... :r

It wouldn't I kinda screwed up my typing on that one. I meant to say it wouldn't work at all... lol

Don't get too bent out of shape about sealing it up right now. Sometimes the units have no leaks or very very small leaks. And if you don't mind your RH being down 1-2% then it might not be an issue for you.

cool, thanks!

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaase321 (Post 1547523)
Oh no good bro...your gonna need bigger :r

lol...........we will see.

I have only tried a handfull of GOOD cigars and only liked a couple of them.

I like the acid Kuba Kuba and a Cuban Cohiba I got in Jamaica.

I need some help getting pointed in the right direction though.

dwoodward 02-02-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1547529)
lol...........we will see.

I have only tried a handfull of GOOD cigars and only liked a couple of them.

I like the acid Kuba Kuba and a Cuban Cohiba I got in Jamaica.

I need some help getting pointed in the right direction though.

Try out the Newbie Sampler Trade. Trade a couple sticks you like and you'll find new favorites in the sticks that are sent to you.

Also if you liked the Kuba Kuba try the Blondie.

smitty81 02-02-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1547530)
Try out the Newbie Sampler Trade. Trade a couple sticks you like and you'll find new favorites in the sticks that are sent to you.

So the "experienced" people send you back cigars based on what you sent them in attempt to show you different cigars that would be comparable to what you sent?

Understanding correctly?

Hem 02-02-2012 03:01 PM

Once he gets a hold of the devil site it's all over for him.

smitty81 02-02-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hem (Post 1547542)
Once he gets a hold of the devil site it's all over for him.

devil site?

kelmac07 02-02-2012 03:06 PM

Welcome to the MADHOUSE!!

chaase321 02-02-2012 03:09 PM

The newbie sampler trade in a nutshell

You send some sticks you enjoy. You get back a bunch of sticks that te person you sent to loves and you get to figure out what you really like!!! You'll love it! It really gets you into the community here.

Make sure you read ALL of the rules on the first page of the thread and the other stickies you have access to here. They set the foundation to a great future here! :tu

Enjoy bro!