Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   wine and gars? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53590)

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 05:54 PM

wine and gars?

has anyone really gave this a go? My first thoughts would be... no but the more i think about it the more i convince myself, that this could work.

due to my work ( fine dinning waiter) i've come to love wine. But i can't picture a good glass coughbottlecough of wine going well with a cigar.

I feel like white wines wouldn't work with a mellow cigar because the more crisp fruity flavors wouldn't blend well with a more mild/mellow cigar and would just over power it. For red wines i feel like they would definitely be too bold for a mild/mellow cigar but with a more full bodied heavier cigar the flavor profiles would be polar opposites and wouldn't combine well. I could see a more fruity/floral merlot going well with a san cristobal but thats the only pair i could think of that MIGHT work.

us_soldier1989 02-20-2012 05:58 PM

Re: wine and gars?

I've had several glasses of wine with several cigars. I stopped because it just wasn't doing it for me. I've only had red wine with a cigar though.

Emjaysmash 02-20-2012 06:03 PM

wine-ot? :r

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 06:06 PM

i see what you did there!

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 06:06 PM

6k+ posts compared to my 1k+... i've got catch up to do! and to think back on CS i was the post wh*re of us all!

Ismith75 02-20-2012 06:08 PM

Had a Mille Fleur and a couple glasses of Stags Leap Chardonnay for breakfast on Saturday. I saw no problem with the combo at all :tu

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 06:09 PM

i could see a more buttery chard working well with certain cigars i suppose. Now that i think about it definitely more oaky chards, maybe a trapiche oak cask... considering the name though it really isn't that oaky :(

jjmitchem 02-20-2012 06:16 PM

I have wine all the time with my cigars. I find it a nice light company to a good cigar that compliments the earthy tones of both the cigar and a good bold red wine.

pnoon 02-20-2012 06:18 PM

I've enjoyed wine many times with a good cigar. Usually red. From chianti and pinot noir to cabs, zins, shiraz, malbecs, tempranillo . . . . you get the idea. Port is outstanding with a good cigar.

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 1566150)
I have wine all the time with my cigars. I find it a nice light company to a good cigar that compliments the earthy tones of both the cigar and a good bold red wine.

Do you usually smoke a more full bodied cigar with the wine? Cab's? heavier merlots? zins?

ChicagoWhiteSox 02-20-2012 06:19 PM

Cali or Oregon Pinot Noir

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1566152)
I've enjoyed wine many times with a good cigar. Usually red. From chianti and pinot noir to cabs, zins, shiraz, malbecs, tempranillo . . . . you get the idea. Port is outstanding with a good cigar.

I can't do ports, too sweet for me and too thick, almost reminds me of a syrup. I haven't had that many but i've tried a couple and can see where people would really like them.

3SmokesaRound 02-20-2012 06:23 PM

I love cigars. I love wine. I love drinking wine while smoking cigars. Cab, Zin, Pinot Noir, they all work for me.

TJtorpedo 02-20-2012 06:26 PM

I'm by no means a wine expert, but I've enjoyed cigars with some supermarket merlots and cabs under $10. I enjoy a good port with cigars too. I find that the cigar tends to temper the sweetness of a port and balances nicely.

jjmitchem 02-20-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarmonkel (Post 1566154)
Do you usually smoke a more full bodied cigar with the wine? Cab's? heavier merlots? zins?

My wife and I go by the Frank Sinatra rule on wines - red, unless there is no red left :)

Cabs are pretty much it

pnoon 02-20-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 1566363)
My wife and I go by the Frank Sinatra rule on wines - red, unless there is no red left :)

Cabs are pretty much it

Great quote. I hadn't heard that one before. I like it. :)

I love full-bodied reds, too. But there is a whole world out there besides Cabernet.

MedicCook 02-20-2012 10:20 PM

Port is my favorite drink with a cigar.

jjmitchem 02-20-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1566365)
Great quote. I hadn't heard that one before. I like it. :)

I love full-bodied reds, too. But there is a whole world out there besides Cabernet.

Yes a good malbec also has a full body taste

cigarmonkel 02-20-2012 11:17 PM

favorite cab's i've tried so far. Fransican Magnificat 07, Silver Oak 05, JLohr Hilltop Reserve was pretty decent. Sequioa Grove 05 old vines Zin that my mom and I picked up was KILLER! but at 90 bucks a pop i don't think i'll be drinking it too much. a GREAT bottle of Pinot Noir for under 10 bucks is Eco Damoni? Demoni? awesome buy!