Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Espresso (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66593)

the MacDonald 05-22-2014 04:18 PM

Espresso

I have been a life long espresso lover, but admittedly, a utilitarian drinker who valued espresso more for its caffeine than it's taste. I have had a francis francis x1 that was pod only for years that finally crapped out. I bought a new Warring ES1500 espresso maker. The Warring has opened up a whole new world of regular ole' get it all over the counter espresso that tastes wonderful. There is a couple roasters near me. One roasts a phenomenal espresso, and properly grinds it, but they sell it at $20+ per pound. I tried another, but after 2 tries they don't grind it properly. I am on a somewhat fixed budget and really don't want to buy a grinder for $100+, any advice?

nutcracker 05-25-2014 10:34 AM

Re: Espresso

Quote:

Originally Posted by the MacDonald (Post 1963740)
I am on a somewhat fixed budget and really don't want to buy a grinder for $100+, any advice?

A grinder makes a huge difference to the whole coffee experience. It also gives you are opportunity to make pour over coffee (chemex style - but you really only need filter paper and a beaker) or espresso. Ie - you can vary the grind depending on your mood.

I also vary the beans from time to time - the oily dark roasts clog the grinder if you don't throw in the occasional batch of less oily beans.

Coffee deteriorates really quickly once ground. I buy my beans in small quantity and fresh roasted. Grind as you needs and the coffee is WAY better.

I would save up for a decent grinder. Buying a cheapie would defeat the purpose.

If this really isn't an option, your local roaster should be willing to grind and sell a pound at a time. Specialty coffee shops are generally cheaper than those bandits at "Fivebucks".

Regards
Neil

TXSmokey 05-25-2014 11:01 AM

one word: Folgers ;}

baust55 05-25-2014 01:12 PM

ha ha oh my Folgers is NASTY

hey I bought a real nice quality brand grinder new in a box for $5

The one I had before that was $3 .

HOW IS THIS POSSABLE !

THRIFT STORE !

I have been called CHEAP ! but I am THRIFTY !

Austin

MarkinAZ 05-25-2014 01:54 PM

I'm just throwing this into the ring:

As alt substitutions, until you purchase that "dream grinder," you can always use some Cafe Bustelo (10oz can) espresso grind or Cafe Llave (12oz can) espresso grind. I know some will turn up their noses to these, but, if you're on a budget for now, the Bustelo is available at one of the ***Mart stores for about $3.88 for a 10oz can. I like Cafe Bustelo myself, and its a nice pre-ground coffee to throw into your "espresso" rotation:cf1

mosesbotbol 05-25-2014 04:37 PM

If you have to pre-ground on a budget, Bustelo is one of the best as MarkinCA mentioned. A good grinder is worth saving for.

Blueface 05-25-2014 04:41 PM

Llave is on the lower scale for me.
Bustelo is good.
Pilon is great.
Pilon Gourmet is awesome.

the MacDonald 05-25-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baust55 (Post 1964387)
ha ha oh my Folgers is NASTY

hey I bought a real nice quality brand grinder new in a box for $5

The one I had before that was $3 .

HOW IS THIS POSSABLE !

THRIFT STORE !

I have been called CHEAP ! but I am THRIFTY !

Austin

Damn it! Why didn't I think of that?!? I mean thanks, great sugestion.
I used to live on Bustelo, and anothet one that I think was a Goya product. Thankfully, my budget isn't back there yet.

I found the serious stark white interior nothing on the menu but 20 varieties of rare exotic beans and teas (if you go that way) shop. Their espresso is marginally better priced, properly ground at request, but its in a simular good damned luck finding parking edge of a city I had going into area. Getting coffee at either place a an 1.5 hr Round trip commitment.

I guess I am coming to grips with the price even though I could be introduced as "the notorious cheapskate, The MacDonald." But the trip, the time, the parking, I guess I am becoming soft in my suburban bunker. Prehaps I'll quit complaining and man up, right after this cigar...or the next one.

nutcracker 05-25-2014 06:32 PM

We used to get half decent beans from the coffee of the month club. Mailed to you, so no parking hassles.
You would still need that grinder!

mosesbotbol 05-25-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 1964423)
Llave is on the lower scale for me.
Bustelo is good.
Pilon is great.
Pilon Gourmet is awesome.

Pilon is another good one; forgot about that. Actually using 1/4 Bustelo or Pilon with 3/4 Folgers in a drip maker comes out really well. Enough robustness to think you are drinking much finer coffee. :tu