Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What a Crock! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38297)

GolfNut 10-30-2010 01:23 PM

What a Crock!

This time of year, I crave pot roasts! Had a beef one last week and tonight I'll start a pork roast. It's in the fridge marinading right now in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and fresh sage leaves! It goes in the crock pot on top of potatoes, tiny brussel sprouts, onion, celery & carrots tonight before bed and cook it low and slow for dinner tomorrow!

What's your favorite Crock recipe?

pektel 10-30-2010 01:28 PM

Re: What a Crock!

I don't have one. I normally throw a beef chuck roast in the slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Then season with salt, pepper, and a package of onion soup mix lol. Pretty good, but there is much room for improvement.

Ranger_B 10-30-2010 07:42 PM

Rub the roast with Olive oil rosemary, thyme, mustard powder salt and pepper and wrap in plastic wrap let sit overnight in fridge. Remove the roast from the fridge the next morning and let the roast come to room temp. Place about 20oz of Guiness Stout in a bowl and let settle down. In your crock slice 1 large red onion and 1 large vidalia onion and line the bottom of the crock. Now slice carrots into about 1.5 in slices and add to the crock. half 3 cloves of garlic and add to the crock. Add two good handfuls of baby red potatoes to the crock and now add the Guiness bath to the party. In a skillet sear the roast in some oil on med- med/hi. As soon as the roast is seared off add to crock with the leftover browning juice (why wast flavor). Add a bundle of some fresh herbs top that puppy and let it go for the day.

SmokinApe 10-30-2010 07:55 PM

I do all kinds of stuff in the crock; crab soup, chilli, beef stew, pot roast... Crock pot = goodness...

Tredegar 11-05-2010 01:02 PM

I like making my meatloaf in a crock.

hammondc 11-05-2010 01:04 PM

Bookmarked

weak_link 02-27-2011 08:23 PM

Bump. Anyone doing anything fun in slow cookers lately?

pektel 02-27-2011 09:22 PM

I made BBQ pulled pork. Threw in some country style boneless pork ribs, a bottle of BBQ sauce, and a sliced onion. Started it at like 9 in the morning for a little get together that night.

Really simple, really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

forgop 02-27-2011 09:36 PM

I get an entire package of boneless/skinless thighs from Sams Club and cook it in the crock pot. Then I use for a variety of things like BBQ or any other yummy treats I want to make with chicken in it.

rizzle 03-01-2011 01:40 PM

I like to let a pork roast cook in about an inch or so of Mojo. With a couple of sliced onions to top it off, that's all you need. Well, except for the black beans and rice to go along with it. :tu

Fordman4ever 07-27-2011 01:54 PM

Got a 5.5 pound chuck roast in the crock pot.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1311796327

IBQTEE1 07-27-2011 02:05 PM

I like using the crock pot for corned beef and cabbage. The meat is so tender. I also add red potatoes and carrots. OK, now I am hungry. :)

Fordman4ever 07-27-2011 02:06 PM

once it cooks down some, i'm going to add some red potatoes and maybe some more onions. its going to cook over night and be lunch and dinner for tomorrow.

Blak Smyth 07-27-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 (Post 1351324)
I like using the crock pot for corned beef and cabbage. The meat is so tender. I also add red potatoes and carrots. OK, now I am hungry. :)

:tu

jledou 07-27-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1187229)
I get an entire package of boneless/skinless thighs from Sams Club and cook it in the crock pot. Then I use for a variety of things like BBQ or any other yummy treats I want to make with chicken in it.

I will do this with chicken breast or thighs, sweet/yellow onions and some chicken broth until the chicken falls apart. Cool and shred up the chicken and dice up the onions while discarding the liquid. Add Mayo, hard boiled eggs sliced chunky, dill pickles chopped up and some cran-raisins to make chicken salad in the summer time.

Think I have only made this 1 or 2 times this summer ... looks like I need to get busy!

Fordman4ever 07-30-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordman4ever (Post 1351315)
Got a 5.5 pound chuck roast in the crock pot.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1311796327

I cooked this pot roast from 2pm on Wednesday until 9pm on Thursday and we ate on it Thursday, Friday and for lunch today. I put some tomatoes, corn, lima beans, and green beans in it today and turned it into vegetable beef stew and then made some corn bread.

Dinner is going to be amazing tonight.

Newbie_nick 09-13-2011 09:20 AM

I love to do roasts in the crock pot, but I've never really put my veggies/potatoes in while I cook the roast. Do your veggies/potatoes disintegrate while you cook the roast for 8/10 hours or are they still whole?

Mattso3000 09-13-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie_nick (Post 1406665)
I love to do roasts in the crock pot, but I've never really put my veggies/potatoes in while I cook the roast. Do your veggies/potatoes disintegrate while you cook the roast for 8/10 hours or are they still whole?

I usually wait until the last 2 to 3 hours to put veggies in. They get done and there is nothing like cooking the veggies right in with the roast!

pektel 09-13-2011 09:50 AM

Last weekend I smoked a pork butt for a good 8 hours. Took some of the pulled pork and threw it in the crock with an onion and some bbq sauce. Man, that was good stuff.

Mattso3000 09-13-2011 09:54 AM

Usually do Venison roasts with an onion, 10 tomatillos, a jar of green salsa, and OJ to cover for 8 hours and then into a frying pan with Taco spices and a little more green salsa for the best tacos ever.