Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Personal experience with TSA and Cigars? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58049)

BHalbrooks 09-11-2012 08:32 PM

Personal experience with TSA and Cigars?

Well, in October my Wife and I are flying home. I obviously can't be inconvienced enough to leave me sticks at home :)

Does anyone have any experience with TSA and Cigars? I read that it's better to put them in your checked luggage. I googled it, but didn't see anything current, and TSA seems to change their minds on everything constantly.

I did search TSA.gov, and they gave a vague approval as if it were a magazine.

Help is appreciated.

kelmac07 09-11-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Personal experience with TSA and Cigars?

Carry them on Brian. DO NOT CHECK THEM!!! :2

BHalbrooks 09-11-2012 08:35 PM

When I was playing competitive Paintball it wasn't unheard of for TSA to steal Paintball Guns, whether they cost $100, or $2,000... So that was running through my mind.

Hot damn, that was a fast answer. No wonder you're a keeper of the ring now :r

pnoon 09-11-2012 08:36 PM

You read wrong. Whoever suggested that is misinformed.

Carry your cigars on board with you.

BHalbrooks 09-11-2012 08:41 PM

I'm assuming that they'd obviously XRay my bag and see a ton of sticks that might look like Dynamite ( :rolleyes: ) or something and want to take a look, but as long as they wouldn't keep them.

Ogre 09-11-2012 08:41 PM

Just leave the lighter at home.

big pete 09-11-2012 08:43 PM

And put the cutter in check-ins

pnoon 09-11-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1714833)
I'm assuming that they'd obviously XRay my bag and see a ton of sticks that might look like Dynamite.

No.

BHalbrooks 09-11-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre (Post 1714834)
Just leave the lighter at home.

Yea, I read that consistently. My brother and dad smoke, so a lighter isn't needed anyways.
Quote:

Originally Posted by big pete (Post 1714836)
And put the cutter in check-ins

Yes sir, read that consistently as well :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1714838)
No.

Just saying, TSA never has ceased to amaze me :r

pnoon 09-11-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1714839)
Just saying, TSA never has ceased to amaze me :r

TSA is as likely to think your cigars are dynamite as they are to think their your dildos.

BHalbrooks 09-11-2012 08:51 PM

Oh... Should I put those in my Carry on as well? :r

EricF 09-11-2012 08:51 PM

If your using a Herfador, make sure you can get it open once you land as they will develop a vacuum and will be difficult to open if you don't have a pressure release valve built in.

DaBear 09-11-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricF (Post 1714845)
If your using a Herfador, make sure you can get it open once you land as they will develop a vacuum and will be difficult to open if you don't have a pressure release valve built in.

A screw driver or a sturdy knife has always done the trick for me in this case. And I haven't always needed to do so.

ArgusP2 09-11-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1714844)
Oh... Should I put those in my Carry on as well? :r

and now, I need to get a new screen. :r:r

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBear (Post 1714859)
A screw driver or a sturdy knife has always done the trick for me in this case. And I haven't always needed to do so.

Do you put that on your check in or carry on?

icehog3 09-11-2012 09:59 PM

I've probably flown 20+ times (I know, not a lot for some of you) with my Haliburton and my Otterbox loaded with dozens of banded Cuban cigars. They have opened the Haliburton twice, and one time asked (in curiousity, not accusingly) if the Cigars were Cuban. "Yeah, right....I wish" I responded. ;)

I would never put my cigars in a checked bag. :2

cmitch 09-11-2012 10:00 PM

One of the funniest moments at the Nashville airport is when a business associate of mine got strip searched because he forgot he had a corkscrew in his carry on. :r

Boz 09-11-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1714903)
One of the funniest moments at the Nashville airport is when a business associate of mine got strip searched because he forgot he had a corkscrew in his carry on. :r

:r I've walked right through all the way to the gate before I remembered I had a knife in my pocket. Not a word was said about it.

I've flown with my 40 count in a carry on bag and it went right through the scanners without a problem :tu

Mattso3000 09-11-2012 10:24 PM

Yup, I always just put the case in my carry-on and keep it with me. Never had any questions asked. For that matter, I usually bring a lighter as well and never had a problem with that either.

Boz 09-11-2012 10:28 PM

I've also thrown some ronsons in a couple of these before and stuck them in my checked baggage and they went through no problem. They claim to be approved for airline travel.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...114099N&cat=13

DaBear 09-11-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgusP2 (Post 1714898)
Do you put that on your check in or carry on?

Its fairly easy to stop by a gas station or somewhere to borrow something to pry one open. Heck, I have a bottle opener on my keyring that does the trick. Plus, you can check a small pocket knife, as I've done many times.

I've made it through every flight I've had since I got started smoking cigars with a torch in my checked bag, and even with a can of butane one time. Only time my bag was opened was when I came back from Florida recently with a bottle of bourbon and 15 bottles of beer.