Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Day 5 of quitting cigarettes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58791)

688sonarmen 10-24-2012 03:07 PM

Day 5 of quitting cigarettes

And its not getting any easier like all the crap says. My little one spent a few days in the hospital for lung complications so I quit. Pipes and cigars are up in the air and I may or may not decide to enjoy them again, who knows. But all the crap I read about quitting is full of sh&t, not getting easier and really seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I have the gum and that helps but I mainly feel like a damn woman with the ups and downs, really really wish I never picked them up after I completed boot camp 12 years ago. I actually had to try hard to smoke them again just like I did when I first started.

jjirons69 10-24-2012 03:24 PM

Re: Day 5 of quitting cigarettes

Good luck. Hope the little one is Ok. You'll be fine, you're a tough adult, it's that little one you need to worry over. Try sunflower seeds - healthy and mind-consuming.

icehog3 10-24-2012 05:01 PM

Hope you get it all figured out, Jake, and hope your little one stays healthy.

kelmac07 10-24-2012 05:26 PM

Stay strong Jake!! Smoke more cigars. :D

chaase321 10-24-2012 05:32 PM

Good luck brother, I'm sorry to hear about your little one. Thoughts and prayers being sent your way for you and for your family.

Keep yourself occupied brother.

688sonarmen 10-24-2012 05:32 PM

Thanks guys, I have plenty of motivation and it really helps to have support here. She will be fine just have to be careful with what she is around.

jledou 10-25-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaase321 (Post 1738466)

Keep yourself occupied brother.

Agree, keep up the good work Jake!

irratebass 10-25-2012 10:37 AM

You can do it Jake!!!!!

Drink a glass of water everytime you get the urge to light up. Carry a pen in your smoking hand and hold it like a cig to stop the urge.....sunflower seeds is a good example, also maybe some Pistachios

Hope you don't decide to get rid of your stash, but if you do I am sure we will be here to help you with that as well.

Hope your little one is ok, and remember you are on day 5....tomm is day 6, Sat Day 7...you can do this man!!!!

Good luck!!!

iaMkcK 10-25-2012 11:24 AM

You and I? Same boat. I quit smoking ciggs September 30th.. It was hard as hell at first, but in 2 weeks I puff cigars and have no desire for ciggs. I'm a mutant though, I'm very abnormal when it comes to addictive things so I know it can easily take longer. Don't quit fighting the good fight!

Bluetick 10-25-2012 12:31 PM

I had my first cigar last night after a 4 month layoff due to Pertussis and cursed myself after I finished the cigar.

deadrise 10-25-2012 12:31 PM

good job so far brother keep it up I quite 3-4 years ago just when they jacked the prices up.
it has been great it took a long time to loose the feeling and even then the memories keep coming back every so often not cravings more like flash backs.
it's odd for me to even hold a cig in my hands seams unnatural it is such a small puny thing.
keep it up bro you can do it!!!!

688sonarmen 10-26-2012 04:47 PM

1 week in now. Smoked my 1st cigar yesterday, a Partagas Short and it was GREAT! My sense of smell is better and I'm tasting things better as well. I won't be getting rid of my smokes but thanks for the concern, lol. Also thanks again guys, between you all and my family this is much easier than it could be. Its good to have friends!

shark 10-27-2012 09:45 AM

All you're going through now is a major nicotine fit. Work through it, chew gum, drink coffee, use a patch or nicotine gum, do whatever you have to do, but believe me, it's not all bullcrap about it getting easier. I smoked cigs for a while before I found cigars, and I was a 2 to 3 pack a day Marlboro Red smoker...Now cigarette smoke just irritates me, I have no desire whatsoever to pick up a pack of those fuggers ever again. You can do this! :tu

Catfish 10-27-2012 01:45 PM

I was a pack to a pack-1/2 a day smoker for a while. It was difficult at first but after about 2 weeks, I noticed how much easier it is. Now, almost 4 weeks in, I don't even get the urge when I see someone in public or on TV light up.

Keep up the good fight, man!

688sonarmen 10-27-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 1740111)
I was a pack to a pack-1/2 a day smoker for a while. It was difficult at first but after about 2 weeks, I noticed how much easier it is. Now, almost 4 weeks in, I don't even get the urge when I see someone in public or on TV light up.

Keep up the good fight, man!

And you as well David, it is getting easier:tu

DMK 10-28-2012 04:56 PM

It's been 4 days for me, but the chest cold and sore throat probably help curb the cravings....

688sonarmen 10-28-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMK (Post 1740626)
It's been 4 days for me, but the chest cold and sore throat probably help curb the cravings....

Way to go! Hope you get over the sickness though.

DMK 10-29-2012 03:23 PM

Still hacking, but the sore throat is finally gone.
Damn I craving something to smoke....

maninblack 10-29-2012 07:20 PM

Best of luck Jake! You can kick this thing brother!

OLS 10-29-2012 08:03 PM

Your mileage may vary, but there is no gum or patch that can help you quit. Its hard as HELL.
The only thing you can do that works 80% of the time every time is stopping all your trigger behaviors.
There are dozens, maybe hundreds. Mine were weed and bars. If I would smoke weed, bam, had to
have a cigarette. If I was in a bar, I had to smoke. Gave up both and voila, no smoking. I can have
as many drinks as I want at home with NO TROUBLE. But no bars.

OTHER PEOPLE will tell you how to do it, that you need to give it up for this or that, my father died of
cancer, was quite a smoker. Looked like a shriveled up lil mummy in that hospital bed...my mother thought
that should be all it took, to have seen THAT. She had no idea and I think still doesn't, that you can't buy me a
Plen-T-pack of Spearmint gum and I will just reach for that instead. You have to divest yourself of all the trigger
mechanisms. If you do THAT, you should only have 3-7 days of tough sledding. Your BODY will suffer for three days,
your mind for almost a week. With alcohol you can almost go back to triggers after a year or two if you have self-
discipline of any kind. But you have to be careful as 5hi+. But it can be done if you don't put your brain under that
kind of pressure.