Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Converting Gun Cabinet to Humidor (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26681)

OHRD 12-30-2009 10:49 AM

Converting Gun Cabinet to Humidor

I came across a couple gun cabinets that someone was giving away for free so I snagged em; a double-door and single-door. Has anyone converted (or know someone who has) one of these into a humi?

I assume all I'll need to do is close off any holes, seal the glass in and other crevices, and line it in cedar? And then get a humidication system?

OHRD 12-30-2009 10:49 AM

Re: Converting Gun Cabinet to Humidor

I'll post pics of the cabinets when I get home.

BC-Axeman 12-30-2009 10:52 AM

smokeyscotch did a pictorial documentary of his at the old site (now poof.com). Worth the abuse to go look at it.

elderboy02 12-30-2009 11:02 AM

I can't wait to see the pics!

weak_link 12-30-2009 11:05 AM

*subscribed*

I love threads like this. Please, please keep a photo journal to post here!

looking for know 12-30-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weak_link (Post 699948)
*subscribed*

I love threads like this. Please, please keep a photo journal to post here!

I'm with you.

junkinduck 12-30-2009 05:31 PM

Gun cabinets are made to keep guns at low humidity so why not, they should be pretty tight throw in a little ceder and some shelves. I cant wait to see how this project goes. I see gun cabinets for sale a good bit. Everyone around here has gone to vaults to keep the guns in (the guns they sold at the gun show.:rolleyes:)

OHRD 01-05-2010 08:08 AM

So I picked up the two gun cabinets yesterday. One was made of particle board so I dropped it off at the Pawn Shop and got $50 bucks--score!!!

The other one is a very nice wood, maybe maple? It is double doored with some nice looking glass and 4 drawers beneath. It looks like the seal b/w the upper and lower drawer area is tight w/ no vents so that is a good thing. The back piece of the wood, that the gun racks are mounted too is not wood, but that particle type stuff you see on the back of furniture, stapled on. I assume I'll need to replace this w/ a thin sheet on wood?

Now, on to ordering some spanish cedar; anyone else have some ideas for this? And should I get like a glue adhesive and tack it down w/?

elderboy02 01-05-2010 08:15 AM

We need pics ;)

Volt 01-05-2010 08:16 AM

As noted above, I'd pm Tim (smokeyscotch) or visit the *poof* site for what he did. He covered his progress pretty well being a photographer and all.

marge796 01-05-2010 08:17 AM

:np

McSmokey 01-05-2010 08:22 AM

:tpd:

OHRD 01-05-2010 09:03 AM

Sorry on the pics guys! I'll try and get 'em up soon; I'm having to keep it in my dad's garage to work on since it's frikin' cold here. I'll have 'em up soon!

weak_link 01-05-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewjmichael (Post 708114)
Now, on to ordering some spanish cedar; anyone else have some ideas for this? And should I get like a glue adhesive and tack it down w/?

I've used Woodcraft for ordering spanish cedar and been quite happy with them.

Looking forward to updates. :tu

Vigiles 01-05-2010 10:56 AM

subscribed as well, i'm looking forward to seeing the process and final outcome!

OHRD 01-05-2010 01:23 PM

I'm being told by several people that the issue w/ converting a gun cabinet is the smell of the gun oils after the heat hits it in the summer and changing the odor and taste of the sticks. The only way to change this is to replace all the interior wood...

14holestogie 01-05-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewjmichael (Post 708454)
I'm being told by several people that the issue w/ converting a gun cabinet is the smell of the gun oils after the heat hits it in the summer and changing the odor and taste of the sticks. The only way to change this is to replace all the interior wood...

I would think if you're going to line it with spanish cedar, you could use a sealer on the old interior wood before attaching the new spanish cedar lining.
Anyone think this wouldn't do it?

kgoings 01-05-2010 03:36 PM

:np

Aren't we an impatient group! :r

BC-Axeman 02-19-2011 03:30 PM

Whatever happened to this???

justonemorestick 02-19-2011 04:27 PM

I would try a thin sheet of plywood Luan (not sure of the spelling of that) to replace the back. That is if this project hasn't taken a back burner I would air it out and see if there is any gun oil smell maybe some activated charcoal/baking soda. I would just use cigar boxes in place of lining it with Spanish Cedar. and of course a few pounds of Kat Krap Kontanment Media to provide Humidification.